Could the offense convert to a 4WR Look because of the TE problem | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could the offense convert to a 4WR Look because of the TE problem

By the way, do we really assume Rishard Matthews is a better wide receiver than Charles Clay is a tight end?

I'm not sure I would, yet.

I would say yes. I have pretty much given up hope Clay will become anything more than what he is now. I can see Clay as an H-back coming out of the backfield but as a full time TE no way. Matthews can at least catch the ball. And my original post was a thought for some packages not for every play. I can see the value of Sims blocking and who knows he may develop into a decent pass catcher along the way.

You need to have tight ends on the field or you're asking for trouble with respect to blitzes, IMO. Not to mention their value to the running game.

I totally agree....you not only need a big target for catches but a blocker. I just saw this from Ed Werder.....might be worth a sniff.

ESPN's Ed Werder reports Packers TE Brandon Bostick is drawing trade attention. Werder reports the Packers view tight end as a position of strength, and are open to making a move. A second-year undrafted free agent, Bostick is a former college basketball player who has drawn raves for his athleticism. He has three catches for 29 yards this preseason. With Jermichael Finley, Andrew Quarless and D.J. Williams also in the fold, the Pack could easily afford to move Bostick.

I totally agree....you not only need a big target for catches but a blocker. I just saw this from Ed Werder.....might be worth a sniff.

ESPN's Ed Werder reports Packers TE Brandon Bostick is drawing trade attention. Werder reports the Packers view tight end as a position of strength, and are open to making a move. A second-year undrafted free agent, Bostick is a former college basketball player who has drawn raves for his athleticism. He has three catches for 29 yards this preseason. With Jermichael Finley, Andrew Quarless and D.J. Williams also in the fold, the Pack could easily afford to move Bostick.

imo if we going to trade for a TE than i would rather try and get Williams from the Pac , but if philbin dose take a look at Bostick it wouldnt be nomore than a 7th .

i watched bostic...he's somewhat interesting i guess...i like brandon williams more though...if i'm gonna trade for a te...that kids got upside

Great so you guys are suggesting we basically turn into the Warren Moon Houston Oilers and run that offense. SMH

Could Matthews be used as your seam threat from the WR position in a 4 WR set? He has a knack for over head or drop in the bucket type catches. He looks comfortable tracking the ball over head?

Could Matthews be used as your seam threat from the WR position in a 4 WR set? He seems to hae a knack for over head or drop in the bucket type catches. He seems to be able to track the ball over head?

Opposing teams will just put an extra DB in there to cover him. That's why Keller was projected to be a huge difference maker. Most LB's can't cover him because he's too fast and most DB's are to small.

BTW if we went 4 wide all the time, this O-line would get Tanny killed.

Could Matthews be used as your seam threat from the WR position in a 4 WR set? He has a knack for over head or drop in the bucket type catches. He looks comfortable tracking the ball over head?

its very Important to have a pass catching and decent blocking TE , its hard for a defence to cover 3WR 1TE SET ( when the TE can catch ) its harder to defend that as a defence than it is to have 4WR set , all the defence has to do with 4 wide is just put in there dime package , but if its 3 WR 1 TE set its harder to defend and the LBs has to defend the TE which is very hard not unless your a very fast and talented LB , 90% of the time the TE wins that battle, i just hope we can find a decent TE that can run routes and catch the ball , because to keep the defences more honest in the middle of the field instead of just blitsing us up the middle because they know we dont have a TE that can catch .

i think clay provides more mismatch potential and options than rishard mathews does as your 4th wr right now...wr sets also would expose our pass pro more...

ideally clay steps up and starts catching the damn ball when he's open and becoming dependable and then this is a no brainer...clays been here long enough...but being asked to play a more tight end role than h back one again was gonna set him back somewhat...and that's what we are doing with keller out

clay lacks kellers polish...although he might be a better seam threat...kellers routes are cleaner

Clay, especially with work he's gotten as a FB, lined up in the slot with Gibson Wallace Hartline. Lamar in the backfield on 2nd and 4. Clay motions into the backfield and settles as the FB...Lamar Miller is getting those 4 yards, considering he'll likely be going against a D with 6 DBs on the field.

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

This thread has made me sad about losing Keller all over again :boohoo:

Back
Top Bottom