Cyprien at 12 - NUGap's First and Only Mock Draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cyprien at 12 - NUGap's First and Only Mock Draft

NUGap

Active Roster
Reaction score
Normally I don't like doing mock drafts, whether entire first round or just Dolphins related. Mock drafts are like opinions which are like...well everyone has one. However, I was looking through some of the media reports of guys the Dolphins were interested in and wanted to see if I could slot a hybrid draft combining what I want and what I think the Dolphins will do. Here's where I ended up;

12) John Cyprien - S
42) Menelik Watson - OT
54) Travis Kelce - TE
77) Jon Bostic - LB
82) Will Davis - CB
110) Mike Gillislee - RB
146) Terry Hawthorne - CB
166) Quanterus Smith - DE
217) Jasper Collins - WR
224) Philip Lutzenkirchen - TE
250) Peter Lalich - QB

Some notes

• Some of the media are taking about Vaccaro as the top safety in the draft. I don't agree, I'm liking John Cyprien out of FIU. Exciting to watch, I think he could be a late riser up to the 12th pick and the Dolphins have had reported interest in him. Will people see it as a reach? Yeah. But sometimes you just have to stay put and take the guy you like. Draft day will tell if I'm right about this or just crazy.
  • There's no Tavon Austin, Ryan Swope, or any wide receivers before the 7th round with Jasper Collins. I just don't see a high pick on a WR. I'd love it, I'd give my left arm for them to draft Quinton Patton, but I don't see it as likely.
  • There's been reported interested in both Will Davis and Jon Bostic and I think they fit those slots well.
  • Mike Gillislee is a selfish pick, I'm a big fan and I have appreciation for his ability to run at Florida against strong defenses that knew UF couldn't pass the ball if they tried.
  • Don't know about my slotting of Quanterus Smith, I have him as the compensatory pick in the 5th, don't know if he'll be there.
  • I mailed in the 7th round, I went with CK's guy, Lalich because I don't really know about the back end of this QB class. I'm a fan of Lutzenkirchen who has some great hands.

No way Cyprien is the guy at 12.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

Good effort though...I like many of your later picks.

No way Cyprien is the guy at 12.

My logic is, people are talking about Vaccaro in the 12-16 range as a potential Miami pick. I think Cyprien is more talented and a better prospect than Vaccaro, thus Cyprien is worthy of that same range. I don't know if he'll go at 12, but I have a feeling people who think he'll be there at 42 will be severely disappointed. Again, we'll see. I knew people would disagree with me.

Big fan of Cyprien....but not at 12. I wouldn't draft a safety that high in the draft unless he's elite like Sean Taylor or Ed Reed. There's too many serviceable safeties out there and other bigger need positions with better value that high in the draft.

I would take Bostic and Kelce in a second! Both guys are physical players who fill needs for us.

Not a fan of Will Davis. That kid is way too soft for my liking....avoids contact at all costs. You can do that if you are a legit shutdown corner like Deion, but Davis is not.

I still need to watch more tape on Watson. Been a little busy of late. By the sound of things, people either seem to love him or hate him.

Outside Watson that's a luxurious draft, and by that I mean players that won't necessarily contribute immediately. To take a safety at 12 when there will be players worthy of being day one starters is indulgent. Don't agree with this draft philosophy. If you traded back and got Cyprien and another pick, lets say a 2nd, then opt for someone like Poyer, trade out Hawthorne for Marquess Wilson (WR), and it balances out a bit better to me and I could get on board.

I've really liked both mocks that have safeties high--yours and Slimm's, who took Reid at 2a. I'm honestly at the point where I can hear/get arguments for about 15 guys who would be options at the 12th pick; the talent is just so similar after the top 8 or so. I think I'd be down with Cyprien. My top priority this draft would be pass-rusher, but I like how awesome our Safeties and LBs would be with Cyprien and Bostic joining Jones, Ellerbe, Wheeler, etc. - that middle of the field would be so active and dynamic. It's a shame that we're more or less stuck having to take a Tackle in the first three picks, but that's how it is at this point, I guess; just have to hope someone like Watson makes it out of the first round. Good stuff, NUGap.

I've really liked both mocks that have safeties high--yours and Slimm's, who took Reid at 2a. I'm honestly at the point where I can hear/get arguments for about 15 guys who would be options at the 12th pick; the talent is just so similar after the top 8 or so. I think I'd be down with Cyprien. My top priority this draft would be pass-rusher, but I like how awesome our Safeties and LBs would be with Cyprien and Bostic joining Jones, Ellerbe, Wheeler, etc. - that middle of the field would be so active and dynamic. It's a shame that we're more or less stuck having to take a Tackle in the first three picks, but that's how it is at this point, I guess; just have to hope someone like Watson makes it out of the first round. Good stuff, NUGap.

That was kind of my thinking with Cyprien. There's interesting talent at 12, but none to where I feel obligated to pick it or else I'm missing on a sure thing and that includes Tavon Austin. I personally would like Werner or Rhodes there, but I was going off the reports that the Dolphins had interest in Cyprien.

I kept trying to rearrange positions and players into different rounds, but found the OT need amazingly prohibitive. You're sitting there thinking....I'd like to take a WR and CB in the second round - nah gotta take Menelik Watson or Terron Armstead. That's why I'm glad they pay someone else to have those dilemmas.

Although I'd love to see a compilation of the best non-major media draftniks and player evaluators run a front office. Grab the best/ most experienced draftnik (Greg Cosell?) and put them at GM. Maybe take the guys from Optimum Scouting and put them in pro personnel department. Use ProFootballFocus for the analytics department and the guys at Draft Breakdown for the film cutups. You've got yourself a superteam of draft guys and an NFL FO.

I like Vaccaro more, but his 5 INT's jump off the page as a negative for me.

I still think the Fins pick in the top ten on draft day in an effort to land one of the top tackles.

I think the draft is going to come down to a few things for the Fins in terms of Round One. First, if KC stays at #1, they take an OT...probably Joeckel. However, if they move out, the top three OT's get pushed down somewhat. We would still have to facilitate a trade to get one, but we still could get one.

The other part to this draft is how much does Philly value the OT position. If they pass on one of the top three OT's, a trade with Cleveland is very possible to land Fisher or Johnson.

If KC goes Joeckel, Philly Fisher...I do not see Detroit passing on an OT, we will be out of luck and have to work the phones with KC for Albert.

we just signed Clemons, no need for a Safety in the first 3 rounds

we just signed Clemons, no need for a Safety in the first 3 rounds

It was only a 1 year deal and safeties are big contributors on special teams, so if a talented one is there in Rounds 1-3, i think you still consider it. I really like Cyprien and Eric Reid. I'd take either guy in Round 2 if they slip.

Back
Top Bottom