Cyrus Kouandjio - hope I spelled it correctly.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cyrus Kouandjio - hope I spelled it correctly..

spiketex

Aussie with the swag of El Bravo 47
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I heard Cyrus Kouandjio interviewed on Sirius NFL this morning. I don't profess to watch enough college football to be fully objective but I had formed the impression that there were just a number of O-linemen with better skills, this year and Cyrus is a big lumbering guy who did well at Alabama but had some issues with his knee.
Three key things from the interview.
(1) He is from the western African nation of Cameroon (soccer is their national sport) and grew up in Maryland. Even though he is not yet drafted, he already has a lot of fans back in Cameroon (population 22 million) and when he makes it in the NFL it will spark significant interest from the sports fans in that nation. Young footballers will be encouraged to be like Cyrus and make their fortune in the NFL. In a way this links to the concept of creating international interest in the NFL and growing the game. Goodell and the owners can envisage NFL jersey sales, etc...
(2) Cyrus is a physically huge guy 6'7", 322 lbs (he's an O-lineman), but he spoke with genuine disappointment about his 40 time of 5.59 seconds. He even said that his Combine 40 times "sucked" and he knows that he can do a lot better and if you watch his actual game performances he moves quicker than his 40 time would suggest. I was surprised that an O-lineman expected to go in round 1 or 2, would take the 40 time so seriously. They do it but their other metrics are probably more relevant. He came across as very genuine, good character and answered well, but while the 40 time is very significant for a WR or RB or CB, I had never thought too much about the O-line 40. My learning from the interview was that the O-linemen like Cyrus, take it very seriously.
(3) Cyrus also spoke glowingly of AJ McCarron's confidence and leadership, that helped Alabama enjoy such dominance. He didn't have to promote his buddy.

6'7 with incredibly long arms 35 5/8 inches.. Bends at the waist and not his hips.. Slow feet to slide and mirror edge rushers. Late to recognize the blitz. Pre-season he had a top 10 grade from some in the media, but I gave him a 3rd round grade in October. That was before the awful performance in the sugar bowl, and the awful combine (medical evaluation + workout). Some teams have completely dropped him from their draft boards due to the medical evaluation on his knee. Dr. James Andrews, the most famous sports orthopedist on the planet, came out and said his knee is fine so take that for what it's worth. Just thought I would give my 0.02$

He also has one knee.

Which is kinda important to his stock.

The whole cameroon thing is very exaggerated as well. I remember last year when the english tackle went in the first round we saw all the us media storys about how he was going to be a star here and help the sport breakthrough.... yea I dont think the pick even got mentioned in any of the newspapers and the nfl is a lot bigger here than cameroon lol

With the drop off in his performance during the year and then the medical red flags, I just don't put him on our board at #19. I would consider him a better value with our 2nd round pick, but there are other tackles I have ahead of him at this point. I assume Robinson, Matthews, Lewan, and Martin are gone in the first round. In the second round, I would target Moses, Bitonio, Mehwort, and maybe even Antonio Richardson before I touch Kouandijio.

He also has one knee.

Which is kinda important to his stock.

The whole cameroon thing is very exaggerated as well. I remember last year when the english tackle went in the first round we saw all the us media storys about how he was going to be a star here and help the sport breakthrough.... yea I dont think the pick even got mentioned in any of the newspapers and the nfl is a lot bigger here than cameroon lol

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...ews-says-no-issues-with-cyrus-kouandjios-knee

Back
Top Bottom