Darkhorse Picks for Dolphins at #11 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Darkhorse Picks for Dolphins at #11

If we end up with Ward, Guice or Vander Esch, I'm fine with that. Then TE in round 2, LB or S im Round 3, Royce Freeman in round 4 depending on the first pick.

My darkhorse would be a DT other than Vea at 11. Though I think we might trade back if Vea is off the board at 11, and we still want a DT in the first. Godchaux and Taylor are relatively unproven, and Phillips is only under contract for this year. All signs point towards a DT early. If we are looking to replace Phillips long term then Payne or Harrison Phillips. If we plan to retain Phillips, and aren't sold on Godchaux then maybe we look at Tayven Bryan at 11. But again, for most of these guys I think 11 is rich for them and I'd rather trade back if that's what we are eyeing. Yes, the Phins could Odrick up this draft.....

Last edited:
Best value is taking QB/CB/DT at 11. If Grimes can play outside I don’t see why Ward can’t. Besides, a slot corner might get as many snaps as any LB’er we draft. I’d rather we didn’t pick QB but if the one they want is there you have to. Many would be upset if we picked DT but considering what is in the cupboard and Phillips looming contract it wouldn’t be a bad move.

Biggest needs are LB/TE/RB. 11 seems rich for them. If we draft Smith I think he has to play WILL. I can’t see Kiko on the bench given his contract so he moves to MIKE. Can McMillian play SAM? If we get Edmunds or LVE then we still have Kiko as WILL and he is a liability there. An elite RB might do more for our offense than anyone short of a QB. You have to assume Barkley is gone. Is Guice that good in a draft stacked with RB talent? I don’t see a TE worthy of the 11th pick. In fact Tanny hasn’t shown the inclination to utilize a TE that much.

We do need a FS but that need should be filled later in the draft. I didn’t include DE in best value as we have so many of them already.

Best value is taking QB/CB/DT at 11. If Grimes can play outside I don’t see why Ward can’t. Besides, a slot corner might get as many snaps as any LB’er we draft. I’d rather we didn’t pick QB but if the one they want is there you have to. Many would be upset if we picked DT but considering what is in the cupboard and Phillips looming contract it wouldn’t be a bad move.

Biggest needs are LB/TE/RB. 11 seems rich for them. If we draft Smith I think he has to play WILL. I can’t see Kiko on the bench given his contract so he moves to MIKE. Can McMillian play SAM? If we get Edmunds or LVE then we still have Kiko as WILL and he is a liability there. An elite RB might do more for our offense than anyone short of a QB. You have to assume Barkley is gone. Is Guice that good in a draft stacked with RB talent? I don’t see a TE worthy of the 11th pick. In fact Tanny hasn’t shown the inclination to utilize a TE that much.

We do need a FS but that need should be filled later in the draft. I didn’t include DE in best value as we have so many of them already.

I keep coming back to Derwin James. He's gives you that versatility that a lot of teams are looking for on defense. I definitely could see SF taking him at #9 unless they trade down. I still see teams looking to move up for quarterbacks so that might help Miami if they aren't in the qb market. Buffalo, San Diego and Arizona could want to get into the top 10.

Vita Vea at #11 I'm okay with, but not overly excited. Roquan Smith doesn't hit me as a Miami target, but I could be wrong. I do really like the player. I think Derrius Guice would really help the offense a lot, but now that Frank Gore has been signed that seems unlikely.

Lots of trade down options.

If we end up with Ward, Guice or Vander Esch, I'm fine with that. Then TE in round 2, LB or S im Round 3, Royce Freeman in round 4 depending on the first pick.

Really like your mock. One of the best realistic ones I've seen. Thompson would be a steal there, but I've seen him mocked around that range.

Vea would mean losing Suh also cost us a 1st round pick, so it's definitely a Tbum type of move. He's also no Suh, so it would cost us dead cap and a 1st to downgrade the position.

We've talked a lot about Edmunds, Smith, James, Vea and Mayfield. Some about Nelson as well, but who are players that haven't been discussed who could be picked at #11. Here's my list.

Ridley WR --- I doubt Miami goes wide receiver early. The team has drafted three wide receivers in the two drafts since Gase has been hired, though. Plus, they've brought in a lot of collegiate free agent wideouts. If Miami goes Ridley it probably means they aren't sold on Parker getting to that next level. SF or Chicago could take him before that 11th spot as well.

Rudolph QB -- I like Rudolph, but not at #11. Still, you know some team is going to reach for him earlier than expected. Miami, Buffalo and Arizona are the most likely. New Orleans and New England if those teams pass.

Jackson QB --- Gase won with Tim Tebow and could feel that he could work on Jackson's mechanics for a year while he sits behind Tannehill.

Bryan DT -- Bryan needs work in the running game, but he can rush the passer from the middle. That is big for teams like Miami that face NE twice a year and was a big reason the team overpaid so significantly for Suh.

Vander Esch/Evans LB's --- The next LB's in line after Edmunds and Smith. I have a feeling Miami might have both of these guys rated above Smith on their board.

Guice RB --- The #11 spot seems too early for a running back, but he's the move the chains, keep the drive going kind of back Miami needs. I think the team looks for a RB around R3, though.

Josh Jackson DB --- Miami appears set at DB with the way Howard emerged in the second half of the season. But a ballhawk like Jackson could still be considered.
Josh Rosen or baker mayfield

Raashan Evans is my draft crush man how is this guy only a late 1st early 2nd? Speed, Tenacious, big hitter, what's not to like?

Vea would mean losing Suh also cost us a 1st round pick, so it's definitely a Tbum type of move. He's also no Suh, so it would cost us dead cap and a 1st to downgrade the position.
Agreed. Having to stomach all that dead money while he plays on an other team than on top of it losing our 1st to replace him...ugh...what a laughing stock we would instantly become.

Raashan Evans is my draft crush man how is this guy only a late 1st early 2nd? Speed, Tenacious, big hitter, what's not to like?

Size is nice. He's no sideline to sideline LB though. Pretty straight line-ish (totally a word). Overrated pass rusher. Looks destined to be a 3-4 ILB to me.

Size is nice. He's no sideline to sideline LB though. Pretty straight line-ish (totally a word). Overrated pass rusher. Looks destined to be a 3-4 ILB to me.
How is he an overrated pass rusher? I think he’s underrated in that aspect and it’s not brought up enough. I’d argue the sideline to sideline too

I advocated taking Vea even when we had Suh. If he's the best player available at 11, you take him regardless of the roster. We also knew Suh wasn't going to be with is much longer, and I think its pretty reasonable to say Phillips won't be either. You don't have to wait for the cupboard to be empty before you draft a position. I also believe DT is a core position on defense - right after CB and DE.

Back
Top Bottom