Daunte Culpepper | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Daunte Culpepper

I said this last year, but people on/from this board kept telling me that he was overrated. They were WRONG!!

well we were never bad enough to draft someone like him.....until now. And just our luck, there's nobody in this upcoming draft who compares to the style Culpepper has.

I know he has been puttin up some huge numbers...do u think he will threaten any of marino's records?

would u trade our winning seasons back then with Marino to get Dante? sorry, but i wouldnt.

but i will admit Dante starting to play up to his talent level. do u see Dante tackle the Ambrosia? he is a beast & can run.

Phins34 said:
Why can't we have Daunte Culpepper?

Because he is a good to great QB. We don't like those types any more in Miami. We like the 3rd stringer with four starts in his career elsewhere so come to Miami and get a nice fat contract while you suck up the field but a get a free pass from your stupid coach type of QBs. That is why we have brought in Fiedler and that is why we have Feeley. They fit our "model QB" to a tee.

Tom Brantz said:
He (Culpepper) jumps out at you. (Other quarterback prospects are) not even close to him.

That's what the former Miami Dolphins Scouting Director had to say just before he was drafted out of UCF :) Wish we had a backup plan for Marino in him...

clear.gif

I am going to say he is overrated.

He plays for a pass friendly system, with great weapons. He has auto catch machine Randy Moss among others. He has one of the best olines in football (that dont get called for holding). He gets 5 seconds in the pocket on 40% of his plays.

He runs a poor two minute drill and hurry up offence.
He averages a fumble a game.
He is slow to make reads, both pre and post snap.
He burns timeouts like crazy because he is always waiting until one second is left on the play clock.

My biggest beef with him is that he throws dink and dunk passes all day long. He throws these late in games when they are down points and need quick scores. He is too afraid to take shots down field when they need them the most. All the time he always tosses 5 yard passes to his check off man. I understand sometimes this is the play call but when he is simply throwing to his check off when the route is intended down field this is not good clock management. Against Philly (among a long list of other teams) he was driving me nuts when he would keep passing little 5 yard pass plays with little time on the clock and no timeouts left. He seems to do this to boost his QB rtg. or pass percentage, which he talked about how last year his QB rtg was so high.

Lets not forget last year minnesota started off 6-0 only to chock down the stretch. Culpepper also started off very strong and then went downhill. It seems to be a common trend every year.

Finally if you want to look at how good he is just take a look at how well Frerotte did in his place last year. got these off nfl.com,
118 qb rtg
7 TDs
2 int
684 yards
The only reason I bring these up is because I remember Minnesota didnt miss a beat with Culpepper out. Moss was catching more deep balls than ever and the offence was just as productive as ever.
I think Frerotte alos had 4 40yard+ passing plays.
This was all in two games.

Hes good, fine. But I hardly think he is great.

DC has incorporated a ton of recievers besides moss this year, and they are stuck with using a banged up Moe Williams and a rookie Mewelde Moore out of Tulane....rather than Onterrio Smith and michael Bennett...i think hes doing a darn good job.....

Ehhh while talented I still see him as over rated. He has a great oline and randy moss to throw too. I mean tonight the saints would send in 6 or 7 guys and he would still have 3 weeks to throw it.

BuGaLoU said:
Ehhh while talented I still see him as over rated. He has a great oline and randy moss to throw too. I mean tonight the saints would send in 6 or 7 guys and he would still have 3 weeks to throw it.

over-rated he may be but i would take him over all our QBs in a hearbeat & plus godsend to any FF owner.

PhinsPhan said:
I am going to say he is overrated.
My God...OVERRATED? Was Marino Overrated because he had the Mark's Bros?
Culpepper doesn't play with a great defense, and lights it up just like Danny Boy used to for us. Plus...DAnte can run better, and run the play action fake better.

Did Marino even in his prime ever throw 5 td's in a game three times in season, let alone in three of his first 5 games. I don't think so. That's Culpeppers record now, just like the TD record this season, and possibly the yardage record.

It sucks for us Phin fans to have to go through a Sh*t season and then also have Marino's records fall.

Do we have a new GM, and Head Coach yet? :fire:

Back
Top Bottom