Daunte's cap implications if cut or traded | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Daunte's cap implications if cut or traded

I dont really understand how this works. If we cut him, do we still owe him the money on his contract? When a player is under contract, how can we just cut them?

I dont really understand how this works. If we cut him, do we still owe him the money on his contract? When a player is under contract, how can we just cut them?

He was paid a ton of money upfront when he redid his deal when we aquired him.

If he gets cut before June 1st, we're responsible for his base salary and then nothing in 2008. If we wait til after June 1st, he's still on the books for 2008 at cap number of 4.2 million.

June 1st is a key date for making cuts as well as anytime a player is due a bonus (i.e. roster bonus).

Just currious you, mentioned the cap hit that we would take (ie. dead money) but you didnt mention the savings? How much room under the cap would we save in both scenarios? Do you know?

Just currious you, mentioned the cap hit that we would take (ie. dead money) but you didnt mention the savings? How much room under the cap would we save in both scenarios? Do you know?

We'd save somewhere between 1.3 and 1.5 million this season if he's cut before June 1st. If it's after June 1st, I believe the savings would be 940k.

If they are going to cut him or trade him I think it will be before June 1st because I don't think they really want the cap space this year as much as they do next year. I think they have pretty much signed everyone they want this year and they even have a little left in case someone comes available after June. Of course that could change depending on how much they agreed upon with Green. Anybody know what that number is? I heard from someone on another board that it was close to league minimum?

What does Chambers numbers look like??
I'm sure I wont like what you will show me but please go ahead

Thanks

What does Chambers numbers look like??
I'm sure I wont like what you will show me but please go ahead

Thanks

According to the chart, his cap charge in 2007 is 7.317 million :censored: ....... he's the 3rd highest paid player on the roster.

No doubt this is an important year for Chambers, he is going to have to either perform like he did in 05 or he will probably go the way of McMichael.

If they are going to cut him or trade him I think it will be before June 1st because I don't think they really want the cap space this year as much as they do next year. I think they have pretty much signed everyone they want this year and they even have a little left in case someone comes available after June. Of course that could change depending on how much they agreed upon with Green. Anybody know what that number is? I heard from someone on another board that it was close to league minimum?

It's pretty much been indicated that it will be a performance-based contract so the cap charge initially should be pretty low.

If you look at the chart scroll to the right to see Net Savings for both on or before 6/01 and after 6/01. The media never gives the net amount, which is the savings less the next highest salary that would take its place as the 51 highest salaries.

In other words if Culpepper is cut the next highest salary is added to Team Salary to have the top 51 salaries. Right now that salary is $360k.

$940 + $360=$1.3 million savings, which is what the media has been reporting.

If you look at the chart scroll to the right to see Net Savings for both on or before 6/01 and after 6/01. The media never gives the net amount, which is the savings less the next highest salary that would take its place as the 51 highest salaries.

In other words if Culpepper is cut the next highest salary is added to Team Salary to have the top 51 salaries. Right now that salary is $360k.

$940 + $360=$1.3 million savings, which is what the media has been reporting.

Great job on that spreadsheet!

Back
Top Bottom