Defending the Read Option | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Defending the Read Option

Coaches have always tried to implement the R-O it in some shape or form.Randall Cunningham-Kordell "slash" Stewart-Michael Vick. Now Wilson-RGIII-Colin Kaepernick. Wildcat is pretty much a gadget play.Miami had the right personel at the right time to use it longer than any pro team would dare.

This year and next defensive Co-ordinators will slow down the R O down. It wont be reduced to the wildcat but it will be slowed down by the methods above.Teams must make the decision on how much they want to risk their QB,the most important position on the team.

Jets grabbed Geno Smith I'm guessing to implement the butt fumble read-option.

I am hoping that as teams shut it down at the NFL level in the next few years, that there will be a trickle-down effect to the NCAA and to HS where it begins to fade out at those levels as well.

There is entirely TOO much emphasis on the QB-as-human-highlight-film-wannabe at those levels right now. I prefer having great athletes at ALL skill positions and running a more traditional pocket-distribution offense. QB (passing) skills are eroding among young players today.

Now that Tannehill has started using the read option, it seems clear the Dolphins think it is a challenging offense.

defensive ends must be discipline. the tackle or te will not block them they have to stay square and squeeze

Now that Tannehill has started using the read option, it seems clear the Dolphins think it is a challenging offense.

Tannehill is more more than a read option QB -- although he has the skills to run it.

Once skill players develop around Tannehill he will be hard to game plan against.

LD

There's very little read option in the NFL. It's a read-option look with predetermined aim. Basically a different type of play fake. But very effective because of all the separation it enables. Defenders freezing and uncertain. As much as I love a college team like Stanford, their style creates congestion. Against equal talent the congestion often fails when the splits are nearly non-existent and the short yardage plays blown up. That happened in the Rose Bowl against Michigan State and last weekend against USC.

The read option designs at any level abuse weak and moderate defenses because it essentially widens the field and extends the play due to all the hesitation. The extra few feet are there and extra half second is there. Top attacking defenses that get penetration don't have nearly as much trouble with it. That linebacker off the edge is not going to stop. He's hitting somebody and more often than not it will hurt, either the play or the player. Force the offense to consistently make the correct call.

Satele didn't suddenly become a powerful effective drive blocker. He looked very good for the bulk of the game last week because the inside read plays to his strengths, especially when the opponent is sitting back as New England was. Absorbing instead of dictating. I was annoyed that we got away from those plays for seemingly no reason. Why pass to Lamar Miller on two consecutive plays deep in Patriot territory instead of forcing them to defend the inside read?

Kaepernick is the only NFL quarterback who is a legit run option out of that scheme. Two of his strides are enough to circle the perimeter and create a dangerous play. Everybody else is ducking and sliding. Wilson runs more bootlegs than read option. He gets a few vital yards then ho-hum takes a seat.

The designs work in the NFL because those inside read running plays have the league on its heels. There's more room than rightfully should be there, given the bulk of the linemen. Consequently the play fakes work and suddenly the quarterback is dropping into a clean pocket, the defenders briefly paralyzed. Does anyone actually believe our offensive linemen are as good as they looked last week? As I posted in preseason, this type of offense won't work against everyone but we aren't in a position to care about the handful of defenses that might abuse us.

It's basically a bully offense, but one that came around at the perfect time, with very few premier defenses and an emphasis on offense in general, along with rules changes coddling the offense.

In the NFL there are a heck of a lot more option routes on pass plays than true option of run or pass.

There is no such thing as the read option. It's either the zone-read or the option. In either case, something that apparently hasn't been picked up by others is that one of the keys to either is that you deliberately leave the most dangerous player in the front seven unblocked and key the read off of him. Essentially by forcing a decision you take him out of the play without having to commit a blocker and that allows a blocker to move upfield and seal off a running lane; done right that upfield block creates congestion which forces backside pursuit to take poor or long upfield angles and thereby creates extra yards. Also, there are no "preferred lanes". Zone-read is just a zone run with the extra wrinkle of giving the QB the choice of keeping it. The principles of the inside and outside zone play remain largely the same.

Finally, I don't agree with Awsi. I think Tannehill is making legitimate reads, he just never kept it because the Patriots played in a disciplined manner and the backside contain forced the inside zone run. In the one half I did get to watch, I never noticed an outside zone run, which is a nightmare of its own to adjust to if you're a defense and you've never seen it from the team you're playing. Then there's the play-action off of either. There is also the triple option, with its myriad variations, and play-actions off of those. It will succeed if OCs treat it like a legitimate offense and not a gadget play; it will fail if OCs don't.

Back
Top Bottom