Denmark suprised the hell out of Italy | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Denmark suprised the hell out of Italy

Bodz...Nice analysis...
I am a huge soccer fan and have played since I was 3...In the last years i've played in a couple big tournaments in Scotland, USA, and France...
You seem to know the game very well, I'd only make minor lineup changes to your proposed lineup:

I'd put Puyol on the right...I realize it would be a toss up between him and Thuram to start but they are 2 great choices to have at RB..I like him better out wide than in the middle...
Zidane is the greatest playmaker in the game...I don't care what anyone says having watched the man play so much since he arrived on the club scene in France, he's unlike any other player in the world...Always shows up for the big games and tournaments and is a magician with the ball...very smart player
He would definately be in the middle with Ronaldinho another wizard on my team...I'd also take Deco over Totti, they've had contrasting seasons and the Euro just confirmed it...Deco has been instrumental in Portugal's run (also at Porto where he carried them to CL glory)...Totti has been instrumental in...Italy's collapse. Trapattoni's system was based on Totti supporting Vieri and Del Piero when attacking...

On the left you definately have to go with Cristiano Ronaldo (in place of Zidane who's int he middle), because there's not that many options and for a 19 year old, he's done pretty well for the biggest club team in Europe, and in Euro 2004...

Owen is not even the best striker on his England and was arguably out performed this season at Liverpool by Baros....He definately is not a top 5 striker Ice and PT

When debating countries I agree with Ice..Brazil is at the top followed by France...Then Italy, Spain, Argentina could all have a say for number 3...
USA should probably be around 15 no more...Apart from Landon Donovan and maybe Beasley they don't have that much talent...Guys like Hejduk, Vanney, Bocanegra might look good against MLS competition but there's a reason why they havn't been recruited to play for club teams in Europe...
Also don't even mention Adu, the kid's only 14 come back in 4 years and we'll talk...They will have to repeat their last performance at the WC to convince me...1 nice showing doesn't do the trick...
The Czech Republic would put on a clinic for team USA...Their 2nd team just beat Germany :eek: talk about depth...

I am a big fan of Rosicky as well Boz...Bright, bright future it seems...
Gilardino (20 years old) in Italy scored some amazing goal this season as well and i'll be keeping an eye on him...

Pink_Dove said:
On the left you definately have to go with Cristiano Ronaldo (in place of Zidane who's int he middle), because there's not that many options and for a 19 year old, he's done pretty well for the biggest club team in Europe, and in Euro 2004...

USA should probably be around 15 no more...Apart from Landon Donovan and maybe Beasley they don't have that much talent...Guys like Hejduk, Vanney, Bocanegra might look good against MLS competition but there's a reason why they havn't been recruited to play for club teams in Europe...
Also don't even mention Adu, the kid's only 14 come back in 4 years and we'll talk...They will have to repeat their last performance at the WC to convince me...1 nice showing doesn't do the trick...
The Czech Republic would put on a clinic for team USA...Their 2nd team just beat Germany :eek: talk about depth...

I know Ice is going to be able to respond to a lot of your remarks. I'll chip in even with that.

1) Cristiano Ronaldo. Good player I agree, BUT like Ice pointed out to me, he went from no name to big name. He is overrated, and I hear he does some nice moves, but they don't really do much except look nice.

2) Deco better than Totti?! Deco is a solid player, and has helped Portugal big time. No way is Deco better though. (also) IMO, Petit should not even have been in this Euro Cup, I don't understand why they continue to call him up.

3) USA is top 15 definately. Arguably top 10. They could have played Brazil in the World Cup in 02 for all the marbles. How? Just ask me, and I will tell
you.

4) Donovan + Beasley = talented = Yes. What about..
Claudio Reyna
Brian McBride
Carlos Bocanegra
Frankie Hejduk
Tony Sanneh
John O'Brien
Clint Mathis
Eddie Lewis
Cory Gibbs
Bobbby Convey
Steve Cherundolo
Pablo Mastroeni

All talented players who have played in Europe, are playing in Europe, or COULD play in Europe if they were not trying to make MLS popular :rolleyes:

5) Germany's squad is not that strong, and that is why they lost to Czech's 2nd lineup. I mean come on, they tied Latvia....:nono:

Pink_Dove said:
Bodz...Nice analysis...
I am a huge soccer fan and have played since I was 3...In the last years i've played in a couple big tournaments in Scotland, USA, and France...
You seem to know the game very well, I'd only make minor lineup changes to your proposed lineup:

I'd put Puyol on the right...I realize it would be a toss up between him and Thuram to start but they are 2 great choices to have at RB..I like him better out wide than in the middle...
Zidane is the greatest playmaker in the game...I don't care what anyone says having watched the man play so much since he arrived on the club scene in France, he's unlike any other player in the world...Always shows up for the big games and tournaments and is a magician with the ball...very smart player
He would definately be in the middle with Ronaldinho another wizard on my team...I'd also take Deco over Totti, they've had contrasting seasons and the Euro just confirmed it...Deco has been instrumental in Portugal's run (also at Porto where he carried them to CL glory)...Totti has been instrumental in...Italy's collapse. Trapattoni's system was based on Totti supporting Vieri and Del Piero when attacking...

Owen is not even the best striker on his England and was arguably out performed this season at Liverpool by Baros....He definately is not a top 5 striker Ice and PT

When debating countries I agree with Ice..Brazil is at the top followed by France...Then Italy, Spain, Argentina could all have a say for number 3...

Gilardino (20 years old) in Italy scored some amazing goal this season as well and i'll be keeping an eye on him...

Carlos Bocanegra was signed by Fulham in January and starts for the club. Vanney plays for Bastia in the French league but I don't think he is that good. MLS players are getting recruited by European clubs. Southampton recently offered 2 million dollars for DaMarcus Beasley by MLS rejected. Supposedly PSV is interested in Beasley and I think he will end up there in a month. Also, Tottenham tried to buy Bobby Convey last year but he couldn't get a work permit, and there are a few more cases of MLS players getting interest from European clubs. However, the USA is still no more than top 15.

And I hate to say it but the Czech Republic would beat the USA, but I've been saying that for a long time. Their team is really good.

Baros should leave Liverpool because with Owen and Cisse around he won't play much. They paid a lot for Cisse so I think they will play him based on that.

Pink_Dove said:

Puyol, like Thuram, is exceptional at both positions. Where you put him in a squad is merely semantics, but the fact that he is in was my point. I agree thought that he makes a very good FB.

Zidane seems to prefer playing a LM role that is more central, I never meant for him to be a "winger" but he pllays at Madrid on the left and drifts in, like Pires at Arsenal. Neither are LW but both can be classified as LM.

He would definately be in the middle with Ronaldinho another wizard on my team...

Much the same as Zidane, Ronaldinho seems to take up a RmM role with toatl freedom.

I'd also take Deco over Totti, they've had contrasting seasons and the Euro just confirmed it...Deco has been instrumental in Portugal's run (also at Porto where he carried them to CL glory)...Totti has been instrumental in...Italy's collapse. Trapattoni's system was based on Totti supporting Vieri and Del Piero when attacking...

Totti had an absolutely BLINDING season at Roma, 20 goals from an attacking MF is unreal! He is pure class on the pitch, the jewel in the crown of Italian football, but seems to be a punk and has not dazzled on the international stage, but don't let that fool you, he is a marvelos footballer. Deco is one of the best players in the world. His workrate and defending go almost unnoticed and are top rate, he played 55mins of RB yesterday! Very good player, the fact that he has been linked with Barca, Bayern, Real and Chelsea only prove as much.

You can almost make the same case for Arjen Robben, who is only a year older and seems to have just as much end product as Ronaldo. Vicente is pure class on the left wing and right now, is the best of the 3 mentioned as far as consistancy and end product is concerned. He was one of the top 1 or 2 players in La Liga this season.

Rosicky had a BRUTAL season for Borussia Dortmund after taking the league by storm. He is a bit lightweight but is a creative wizard when on his game. He can really go either way right now, so the next 2 years will be very important for him.

Gilardino is being linked with Juventus. Parma have had him, Mutu and Adriano, 3 of the brightest ST prospects in the world over the past 2 years, their scouting and acedemy are impeccable. Simply fantastic.

Prime Time said:

1) Cristiano Ronaldo. Good player I agree, BUT like Ice pointed out to me, he went from no name to big name. He is overrated, and I hear he does some nice moves, but they don't really do much except look nice.

That was the case up until about February, and at that point Ronaldo turned it on and was one of the better performers in the EPL for the 2ndhalf of the year. He was voted player of the year by their supporters, and they know the game. No way a show pony would win Player of the year at that club.

All talented players who have played in Europe, are playing in Europe, or COULD play in Europe if they were not trying to make MLS popular :rolleyes:

Just because a player plays in Europe doesn't mean they are good. There are a lot of sub par players all over Europe.

iceblizzard69 said:
Baros should leave Liverpool because with Owen and Cisse around he won't play much. They paid a lot for Cisse so I think they will play him based on that.

Baros has been injuredsince he got to Liverpool and needs a chance. He is technically much better than Owen who only relies on pace and the long ball. Cisse and Baros would be better in my opinion.

Let's not forget, Owen onlyhas a year left on his contract andcan sign a pre-contract with any club in January, on a Bosman free. But he has already said if he leaves he wants Liverpool to be compensated.

Not to get off topic, but this is cool that we are getting more soccer fans posting in this forum :up:

And France loses to Greece :shakeno:
So much for them being great...
Ahhhh they truly were great with Deschamps, Blanc, Desailly, Lizarazu, Zidane in their prime but it seems they'll have to bring in the next generation now..

PT, I don't consider teams like Bastia, Fulham or Southampton quality sides..
When I see guys like Boca, Vanney, Sanneh etc..produce overseas i'll take more notice but, as I said I don't buy the fact they're in the MLS to make it a better league...Unfortunately most players think about themselves first these days and a move in Europe would guarantee them international exposure and money in the bank.In other words it would make sense for them to join some quality sides in Europe if they could..

The USA could make it a game against Brazil but technically so did Grenada in that 2nd game agianst the USA...That's the beauty of soccer, any team can win on any given day...

Exactly, Pink Dove, that is what is great about soccer. I told that to Ice and he said no...:rolleyes:

Bastia, Fullham, and Southampton may not be quality sides, but they are European teams which are better and more talented then the MLS teams. Come on, a lot of people are being offered contracts to Europe...look at Donovan, but he keeps refusing to go. He is trying to make soccer in this country popular. Sanneh, Vanney, and Blackmouth ;) are never going to put up big numbers because they are defenders but trust me they defend well and can hang with that talent level. I also said France is good, but not great, Ice disagreed, I even said they could lose to Greece, he said they could but they wouldn't. So much for that :D. I love being right ;) :jk: :lol:

Prime Time said:
Exactly, Pink Dove, that is what is great about soccer. I told that to Ice and he said no...:rolleyes:

Bastia, Fullham, and Southampton may not be quality sides, but they are European teams which are better and more talented then the MLS teams. Come on, a lot of people are being offered contracts to Europe...look at Donovan, but he keeps refusing to go. He is trying to make soccer in this country popular. Sanneh, Vanney, and Blackmouth ;) are never going to put up big numbers because they are defenders but trust me they defend well and can hang with that talent level. I also said France is good, but not great, Ice disagreed, I even said they could lose to Greece, he said they could but they wouldn't. So much for that :D. I love being right ;) :jk: :lol:

You also said that Germany was better than France and that the USA was better than the Czech Republic. Neither of those are right.

Fulham and Southampton are not bad sides. It is hard for Americans to play abroad because they have to deal with work permits, restrictions on how many foreigners can play on a team, and other stuff. Tim Howard for example got a work permit because his mom is Hungarian and when they joined the EU they would have had to let him play in England. Convey also had a work permit denied and I think he could have been good for Tottenham.

When is the last time US has played Czech? When they play and lose then I'll "admit it" :up:

Prime Time said:
When is the last time US has played Czech? When they play and lose then I'll "admit it" :up:

Two teams don't have to play each other to find out whose better. The Czech Republic is clearly better, they have better players and perform very well against talent that the USA would struggle against.

And also, didn't you tell me that Sweden was going to win the whole thing? Well, I guess that won't be happening now (I did want to see them win though).

How is the Czech Republic CLEARLY better? They didn't even make the last World Cup. They should play, then I could tell you which is better. BTW, yes I did say Sweden would win, because it would have been a feel good story, but they were eliminated today. It is either Czech or Portugal coming away with it this year....

Prime Time said:
How is the Czech Republic CLEARLY better? They didn't even make the last World Cup. They should play, then I could tell you which is better. BTW, yes I did say Sweden would win, because it would have been a feel good story, but they were eliminated today. It is either Czech or Portugal coming away with it this year....

Just because they didn't qualify for the World Cup doesn't mean they are better. Just look at their roster or just watch them play. Holland also didn't go to the last World Cup, and they are also clearly better than the USA.

Not true. Holland beat us 1-0 last time we played though. But, If you don't make the World Cup, you are not clearly better then any team that made the Cup, because you couldn't even make the WC, even with all the talent.

Back
Top Bottom