Derek Jeter is the most overrated player according to his peers | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Derek Jeter is the most overrated player according to his peers

Jeter's peers are mad that he was banging Jessica Alba,,,,,which most of them will never get a sniff at. :lol:

Slappy8800 said:
how is he overrated? no one is calling him the best SS in the game...

you dont have to be called the best to be overrated

everyone says hes like the 2nd or 3rd best SS when i dont think he is

and for jeter being so "clutch" that one espn insider article that i couldnt find also explained how Bernie Williams has better postseason numbers in every category despite the exact same number of ABs

Finfan86 said:
and for jeter being so "clutch" that one espn insider article that i couldnt find also explained how Bernie Williams has better postseason numbers in every category despite the exact same number of ABs

Its not how many hits you get its when you get them......

I dont think Jeter is the best SS in the game but he is definitly one of the best

Alex22 said:

I dont think Jeter is the best SS in the game but he is definitly one of the best

well jeter doesnt get that many considerd he has 1 career game winning hit

Finfan86 said:
well jeter doesnt get that many considerd he has 1 career game winning hit

So?

If there are two outs in the bottom of the 9th and you are down by two, no-one on base, and Derek Jeter comes up and gets a base hit to give the next guy a chance thats just as clutch, because if he doesnt get on the game is over

It's complete nonsense, he was voted one of the best in a similar poll last year. If anything jeter is vastly underrated b/c he never put up ARod-like #s at SS but luckily he didn't pull an ARod in postseason or we'd have less than 4 titles since '96.

Derek Jeter is the best non-slugging player in the last 10 years.....He's clutch, he's tough, he's classy and he's everything you could ask for in a guy. If you want someone over rated, how about looking at the guy who plays 3B right next to him.

He is a border-line hall of fame player. If he ends his career with 3,000+ hits he WILL be a hall of famer (by the end of this year he will have 2,000 hits). He is a World Series MVP. A 6-time all star. While he has never been the "BEST" shortstop for any 1 year of his career (yet). He isn't overrated.

These are the same MLB players who.....
1) Don't understand why taking steriods is bad
2) Don't get the big deal about going on strike and canceling the world series

So them calling him overreated (is out of pure jealousy) is a joke on every level.

FaninPatsyLand said:
Now if we're talking overrated, I think the players nailed it when it comes to Carlos Beltran. In 2004, he had an amazing playoffs for the Houston Astros.. those 2 weeks basically earned him the mega-deal from the Mets. Clearly, he's not as good as he showed that October, he simply got hot at the right time. In reality, he's a .270-.280 hitter with average power. Granted, he's excellent defensively and has plus speed. However, the contract the Mets gave for that type of production is absurd.

I sort of agree. Put Beltran in KC or Houston and he is a superstar. Becuase no pressure is on him and nobody is watching. Put him in NY, and he melts under the day-to-day grind that comes with playing in a major city (NY, St.Louis, Boston, LA..etc). He can thank his agent Borus for putting him in a bad spot! I have no sympathy for him. He probably isn't overrated, but because of where he plays and what he makes $$$, he will get that tag.

Finfan86 said:
no hes not, an espn insider article bout him was really good and it showed that he has 1 career game winning hit. and his postseaon average, OBP, and slugging is below his regular season averages

:shakeno: :shakeno: This isnt' the NBA. A game winning hit is more luck and circumstance. Ya can't in the bottom of the 9th just change everythign to get Jeter to the plate. That might be the most worthless stat I have ever seen. But this is MLB so worthless stats are thrown out there all of the time.

Plus, he has played on great teams. So, a game winning hit may occur in the 3rd inning and then who cares!!!!!!! It's not like there was any pressure on for that game winning hit. Making the stat even MORE meaningless.

And ANYONE who knocks Jeter's postseason play in his career really has no friggin clue about the sport of MLB. Seriously, this guy is a legend in the postseason. Numbers lie. He has made more big defensive plays and had his share of big hits in the postseason. Not to mention he is a World Series MVP!

Alex22 said:

Exactly. And he will end this year with 2,000 hits in his 10 year career. He averages around 200 hits a year. Meaning, even if he tails off a little, in about 5-6 years he will reach 3,000 hits and be a LOCK to be a 1st ballot hall of fame player.

Im MLB, there aren't too many hall of famers who are overrated considering getting into their hall of fame is very difficult.

The best part is he is having his best season to date. And with Damon now in front of him, he might actually drive in 100 RBI's this year.

And if he has 100 RBI's, score over 100 runs. Steals 25 bases and either wins the batting title or comes close to winning it, he may be your AL MVP this year. NOT SAYING HE WILL, but if he has a year like that with those numbers, he will be in the Top 3 for AL MVP voting and may win it.

RedHotCulpepper said:
Derek Jeter is the best non-slugging player in the last 10 years.....He's clutch, he's tough, he's classy and he's everything you could ask for in a guy.

Exactly, just b/c you don't bomb the long ball doesn't mean you're overrated

Overrated is Kerry Wood, A.J. Burnett, P. Rodriguez....

...and Albert Pujols:wink:

i wish mlb has a website like 82.com for nba to show stats for clutchness

Back
Top Bottom