Did the Patriots play tonight?

Discussion in 'Beasts of the AFC East' started by ForksPhin, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Jerrysanders

Jerrysanders FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Smh were talking about the Seahawks vs The Pats please stay on topic, Pats and Seahawks only played twice from 2014 to 2016 ; Both times the offense didn't have a problem putting up points on a top notch defense.

2. hoops

hoops exited stage left

If I'm Miami I would implement some things to stretch that pats d horizontally assignment wise to free up the inside. So much of what kc does is relying on tyreek hill to stretch the opposition. That's a serious threat. Kinda threat jakeem grant might be able to be to free up Ajayi inside zone but he will never take contact the way tyreek does. That dude is a stick of dynamite.

I would sure try to exploit that lb level range and speed wise. I'm not sure what their offset would be. I don't see it. Just don't line up and think you can exploit it pure downhill.

Double gronk make those smurf WRs beat you on 3rd down. They all play tiny. Maul their asses. Let Howard match footwork with them he's the one db we have that can.

Greer17 and gunn34 like this.
  3. Jerrysanders

Its sad to see a top 5 Safety like Berry go, that's a huge loss for the Chiefs defense.

Houston has better Flexibility and Technique but against the Jets and the Bills, Harris will get that chance to pin his ears back ,I'm curious to see how he will perform under those circumstances.

4. Sons Of Shula

Sons Of Shula not a dull boy Hammered Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

You can't separate Belichick from the Patriots defense; they go hand in hand. Belichick also won two SBs as a DC. And of course, BB has everything to do with the success of the Patriots as an organization from top to bottom. I don't get where you're going there.

Here are the years BB has won the SB and his defensive ranking by points allowed:

'86 - #2
    '90 - #1
    '01 - #6
    '03 - #1
    '04 - #2
    '14 - #8
    '16 - #1

This isn't too hard to figure out. The year they had there lowest ranking in '14 has been the year that has been discussed when they gave up 33 pts to us in the opener and 41 pts to the Chiefs in week 4. Beyond that, Belichick's defenses have been absolutely superb and the main reason he has 7 championships.

5. hoops

hoops exited stage left

So much of what pass rushers do is exploit the pin ears opportunities. They can be ghost all game get leads pin ears and pile up stats.

That's what we need from harris. Be wakes robin to his batman.

It won't be long watching those WRs play tiny on 3rd down sticks routes before they resort to the pick game and illegal stuff. Hopefully the NFL calls it. They still don't call the dont come set for a full second before the snap the pats use over and over.

Jerrysanders likes this.
  6. Sons Of Shula

Then why the **** did you post tonight's box score which is what this was a reply to?

7. Jerrysanders

I already said most of their defenses have been the bend don't break type. They have been great at stopping teams from scoring but only decent from stopping teams from moving the ball. Where I'm going is the Patriots offense has been the biggest factor in the majority of their SB wins but their defenses have been solid.

8. Sons Of Shula

That's because it's not illegal if the player in motion is moving horizontally or backwards; it's only illegal with vertical movement.

A full one second stop is only enforced on a shift, not motion.

All this Patriot leeway and cheating BS is hilarious.

9. Sons Of Shula

The numbers for their success via defense are right there staring you in the face.

How'd that record breaking '07 offensive unit fare as far as pulling in another SB ring for them? . . . That's what I thought.

10. Jerrysanders

No that's a different topic
    1. I brought up the Seahawks inability to stop the patriots offense
    2. You said that's news to me
    3. I posted stats from last years game to show how Brady moved the Ball.
    4. You said thats weak , were talking about over a decade of dominance of by the Pats.
    5. I said were talking about the Seahawks vs The Pats

11. Sons Of Shula

My apologies. I thought that was tonight's box score being the thread we are in and threw myself off topic from there.

Jerrysanders likes this.
  12. Jerrysanders

I guess we have different views on why the Patriots have been so dominant.

13. Sons Of Shula

Different views, yes, but only one of us is right.

Find me some teams that have won a SB without a defense that either played very well for the whole year or down the stretch.

On the other hand, I can find you plenty of teams that have won the SB with sub-par offenses (and QBS) because of their defenses.

14. Jerrysanders

To me the patriots defense production always exceeded their talent level (overachievers) and thats due to a great scheme, but I've never seen them as a dominant defense.

15. Jerrysanders

Challenge accepted. Gimme 1 min

Sons Of Shula likes this.
  16. Sons Of Shula

Even though this was posted in relation to points allowed for the years BB won the SB?

86 - #2
    '90 - #1
    '01 - #6
    '03 - #1
    '04 - #2
    '14 - #8
    '16 - #1

Being the number one team for points allowed is dominant. I don't care how you try and spin it. Especially when it directly correlates to SB wins. I mean last year alone they only allowed 250 pts and the next closest defense allowed 284. That's dominance.

17. Sons Of Shula

I'll give you all night. I must get some sleep b/c I wont be able to this weekend with the storm coming with myself and my family being affected all across the state.

*I'll give you fair warning that I know your going to dig up Colt's and Saint's SB championship years, but I am well aware of how their defenses turned it on for the late season run with turnovers and other factors.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  18. Jerrysanders

2006 Colts had the 21 ranked defense, 2009 Saints had the 25th ranked defense :biggrin

19. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

No jizzing yourself over the pats d this time. Looked horrible, just like first half of SB. Brady didn't bail them out this time like in the SB. Brady off night, stalling for FG's, Pats loose.

Ben Had, TannDaMan17 and russianbear like this.
  20. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Kcs theme on offense this season is they are relying on you to chase the rabbit in tyreek hill and as a result your lb level to take false steps and that very athletic oline then gets to you on the 2nd level.

Tyreek hill straw that stirs the drink. He gets hurt they could show some of it with deanthony Thomas but it's not even close to the same level threat.

Boy am I glad we didn't sign donta Hightower this offseason. That would have been horrible value relative to the cost in this scheme.

21. Blackcreekbandit

Blackcreekbandit Drunk Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't understand the mods catching flak for moving the post.... Does moving it to another forum not allow you to have the same discussion as if it was still in the main forum? Oh but blackcreek I only go to the main forum!!! Why? There is a perfectly good new posts button at the top left of the page that Will show you every updated thread from every forum....

Anyways back on topic man losing Eric berry is major... That man was on fire last night before his injury. Sad for the game to see him get hurt he's one of the best if not the best imo..

fishfanmiami likes this.
  22. gunn34

gunn34 Pro Bowler

Eric Berry was the main reason the pats looked bad when he was in there. That's a huge loss.

23. CA Dolfan

CA Dolfan Dolphin fan since '72 Finheaven VIP

I hope they remain in the cellar. Alex Smith maybe played his best game ever.

24. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

Gilmore definitely didn't "do his job" on that long TD pass. And he didn't look like he particularly cared.

25. Sons Of Shula

It was Cover 2. That was on McCourty to stay over top. Gilmore had underneath coverage.

26. nick1

nick1 I am Groot Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't see how the patriots turn around this defense. Especially if Hightower is out

27. Sons Of Shula

We'll see. Same things have been said about their defense time and time again with Seymour, Wilfork, Revis, etc. leaving and even just last year with the losses of Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins.

Fin Thirteen and Jerrysanders like this.
  28. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

If you think Belichick liked the way Giilmore played that then Irma's pressure must be having an impact on peoples minds...

29. Sons Of Shula

Excuse yourself. That's about as nicely as I can put that in light of your response there.

Also what does Belichick's thoughts on the way he played overall have to do with this particular play? It doesn't.

If you want to to breakdown Gilmore's tape for the game then say so, otherwise stop deflecting from what was being discussed.

30. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Not everyone has the skill players or offense to attack the pats the way kc did.

Doubt Hightower is out long if any games.

Gilmore had the top grade of the db group. Pats do such a good job schematically of hiding Chung in coverage.

Malcolm butler bad preseason showing carried over to week 1

31. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

exactly, they did a 180 real quick

32. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

My opinion, the Patriots will likely turn it around they always do. I'm not worried about the offense too much. Not every team has a safety or anyone for that matter that can eliminate Gronk. I've never seen that before or at least never noticed it. I do think Gilislee and Burhead are JAGS that will benefit simply from defenses playing the pass vs NE. A special back picks up one of those 4th and 1's. Amendola being out for any significant time would be tough though as he's the guy Brady is most comfortable with. Lets see what happens with Cooks and Dorsett. The Saints are a pretty smart team they must have had there reasons to dump Cooks. Although Stills has been a model citizen and respected player here and they dumped him too. The Colts must have really wanted to dump Dorsett as I can't see any other reason for that trade other than Luck is going to miss a lot of time and they need a backup.

I do wonder if they have the horses on defense. It will be interesting to see how they look in 10 days against Drew Brees.

I live in NE and the radio is gold today. I'm elated the undefeated talk is done after week 1 regardless of what happens. The pundits here were literally all predicting 19-0.

Also, did Dion Lewis fully recover from his ACL tear? He was killing it as a receiver out of the backfield 2 years ago but now hardly plays.

33. Ren

Ren Rookie

Belichick is the master at scheming and adjusting. That said, KC did expose some massive chinks in the Patriot armor. Not sure who plays NE next week, but they would be fools to not run pass plays to the RBs out of the back field. It will be interesting to see how Hoodie can scheme to protect is linebackers.

Scheming and counter scheming - that's what makes football so fun.

34. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

Theres been talk of the pats' demise on defense before. Difference is this time the Pats really backed it up by playing a stinker defensively. 540 yards, almost 9 yards per play, 6 TDs point blank. Thats outrageous. Its not like the offense gave away short fields either. KC earned all 42 of those points. Ive never seen a BB defense so confused and flustered.

Well see if this game will have been an abomination but NO surely took some notes.

35. hoops

hoops exited stage left

They will get healthy this week. New Orleans has major tackle issues right now and the only potential fix armstead appears to still be a ways away.

Saints field the youngest secondary in the game I mean 4 of the top 5 have less than a years worth of game experience. 3 are rookies. It's such a tall order.

Not to mention the lb level lacks range in the nickel aj Klein especially. Pretty obvious last night. He's a solid player he's just not rangy enough for the nickel as the plan a.

There also looks to be a hole in the saints scheme cause I lost count of how many times Minnesota got a slot wr on a lb matchup in vertical coverage and paid for it.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  36. hoops

hoops exited stage left

No armstead no Reiff serious problems for the saints oline.

Here's hoping armstead still can't go come week 4 at london. That would be a massive boost for miami

Are the saints gonna put peat at left tackle? Yuck.

37. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

SoS is a huge Pats and Belichek fan. He might have a Brady jersey as well but that is unconfirmed.

38. Sons Of Shula

fishfanmiami and phins_4_ever like this.
  39. phins_4_ever

But never before prior to the season. While the offense is quite potent the defense was considered the weakness on the Pats team. My son and I were talking about it prior to the season: how to beat the Pats? Outscore them.

Seriously, their defense will be their big weakness this year.

40. phins_4_ever

And now the Brady jersey. Come on man...you can do it.
    :laugh