Didn't we just lose an average back? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Didn't we just lose an average back?

islandah

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Maybe I'm not seeing it right, but considering RW's 2003 season, what have we really lost? Granted, he was awesome in 2002, but last year he averaged 3.5 yards a carry. I think there are a lot of average backs that can get 3.5ypc; the difference is they're not left in the game long enough or fed the ball enough to get 1300+ yards.
Also, I noticed last year after about the 3rd game that he was never getting past the first contact. I watched for this the whole season and it never changed.I know the line sucked, but I'm talking the few one-on-one situations he did get. In 2002 he would have run around or through people, last year he just went down. Maybe his mind was already elsewhere.
My point is, you could hand Minor, Mack, Canidate, etc. the ball 20-35 times a game and get the same yardage totals. The good thing is, we're less likely to do that without RW's history and rep, so we might actually be a less conservative offense. If we're not, I don't think our running game will suffer that much from last year.
I say don't panic, thanks for the cap space, sign CC and Ogun, pick up a cheap goal-line back (Stacy Mack?) and this offense will be better than last year thanks to the (hopefully) upgrades of O-line and WR.
Go 'phins!!

The difference is he was focused on that is what held him to 3.5 ypc. A piss poor O-line and lack of offensive weapons. Nobody in their right mind would call Ricky Average. Teams planned around HIM ours and the defense. He's what scared them. And to add to the situation we have some talented backs, but none who have really proven that they can get a lot of carries in a season. I'm really anxious about this year, we lost a GREAT back but I sitll have hope for this coming season. I'm ready to see minor get the ball :)

Ricky Williams is not an average back. Make no mistake about it, he was a stud. When looking at a RBs yearly numbers you have to take into consideration his surrounding cast, workload, injuries, etc. Williams was a top 10 back, no doubt about it. Don't kid yourself, we lost far more than just an "average back".

I'm holding out hope that the now necessary added diversity will add something to a previously uninspired offense. But the one problem I see is that opposing defenses had to really put everything that they had into holding Ricky to 3.5 yds per carry…..I don’t see them having the same concerns about whoever winds up filling in. So, while our running game may find more room to operate and a lesser back may be able to match or even surpass Ricky’s pedestrian numbers form last year…..the passing game is going to receive added attention from the opposing defenses and will struggle more than if Ricky were still there. Just my opinion.

I hear ya Island... Minor carried the ball 44 times last year and had 1 TD. Ricky carried 392 times with 9 TDs... So, simple math tells you that if you hand the ball to Minor 392 times, he is side by side with Ricky as to points on the board.

Frankly, I think Minor could do a lot better than Ricky with that many carries... Then you have to consider that Ricky took a pounding that Minor probably couln't have taken. On the flip side, Ricky's pounding was more self enflicted due to the fact that he never was creative enough to find a new whole when the one he was supposed to go through was not there...

I think Minor is a more creative runner with a lot of agility. Hand him the ball 392 times and we'll see records broken. The nice thing is that with the Chambers/Boston combo, no body should have to carry the ball that many times!!

Im hoping to agree with all of you guys...but Phinzones post is by far makes the most sense. Rickys not average, our offensive system is below-average.

He wasn't average, but we were predictable and couldn't pass (or in reality Dave feared passing) and those 8 man fronts made Ricky look average.Give us a passing game or at least the threat of one to get that 8th guy off the line and Minor should be fine. Hell, a decent back should be good, as long as Dave freaking coaches and has 50% pass plays that aren't 5 yard dump offs and aren't called on 3rd and 9.

I understand what you guys are saying about the workload and the defenses stacked against him, but in 2002 he had 1800+ yards facing 8 man fronts and was running thru and away from people. In 2003, the line was worse than the previous year, but the 2002 line wasn't great. Ricky didn't didn't do anything special individually last year where he did the year before. I maintain that in 2002 he was a great back, in 2003 average to slightly above average(considering his durability).
I don't think Minor can take that many carries; that's why I suggested Mack as a short yardage bruiser to complement and share the load with Minor/Henry.

Willaims had an average season last year. Talent wise he was outstanding but, you never know maybe his first season was a fluke.

islandah said:
I understand what you guys are saying about the workload and the defenses stacked against him, but in 2002 he had 1800+ yards facing 8 man fronts and was running thru and away from people.
Like you said the line was much worse in 03 then it was in 02. Some may not believe this, but it does make a difference. He was a great back when going to play the dolphins teams didnt fear Fielder and what he could do they feared Ricky and his potential to break it big everytime. He carreid 42 times against us you guys damn near killed him, I would want to retire to.

Good Post Islan!! I Don't Think Ricky Had The Same Fire As In 02!! I Think The Fins Will Be O.k But I Have Little To No Faith That Wanny Can Turn Things Around!! Give The Same Situation To Bellichek And It Probably Gets Better!!! I Hope I'm Wrong But I Think Wanny Is A Terrible Head Coach!!! I Hate The Pats Also....... Go Phins!!!

BillsCA said:
Like you said the line was much worse in 03 then it was in 02. Some may not believe this, but it does make a difference. He was a great back when going to play the dolphins teams didnt fear Fielder and what he could do they feared Ricky and his potential to break it big everytime. He carreid 42 times against us you guys damn near killed him, I would want to retire to.
My point is in 2002 they played 8 in the box and feared him for what he could and was doing. Against those fronts, with really only a marginally better line, he was still breaking long runs, powering thru people and outrunning defenders.In 2003, they played 8 in the box and feared what he had done in 2002 and kept waiting for him to break one. He never really did. They game-planned against his history and reputation more than against what he was actually doing in 2003.

Oh, and the other point that teams "had to" put 8 in the box to hold him to 3.5 ypc isn't right. They had the luxury to, since they knew our game plan and our passing game was not a threat. Hopefully, that has changed.

What the heck it this, a football thread? lol

Refreshing to read for a change.

We haven't had the talent at WR that we have now in a long time. Chambers AND Boston are both very dangerous, and demand respect. Who do you double? This will open the T.E. up, the F.B. up, and the running game.

If our o-line is improved even a little bit, things will be better this year even without Ricky.

Now the ONLY thing that could screw us up would be the QB spot. If Fiedler comes out like he did in early 2002, look out. If Feeley plays, then we really don't know what we have until he plays a few games.

Should be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom