Do Dolphin fans have their hearts broken more than most? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do Dolphin fans have their hearts broken more than most?

Gladsadmad

Active Roster
Reaction score
Driven said:
I had a dream that the Pats won 2 out of the last 3 super bowls....wait that wasn't a dream....Nevermind :)

See, a Pats fan wouldn't understand. Not only are Pats fans jaded now, but they haven't had a team that's been consistently good over a 15 year period. With the exception of 1996, Miami has been in the playoff race every season since 1990. When your team sucks in a given year, the fans don't get their hopes up only to have their hearts broken. Meanwhile Dolphin fans get our hearts broken almost EVERY year. Example?..ok, let's start from 1990..

1990 Pats 1-15
1991 Pats 6-10
1992 Pats 2-14
1993 Pats 5-11
1994 1st rd exit
1995 Pats 6-10
1996 Tough loss in Superbowl :cry:
1997 One point loss in 2nd round :cry:
1998 1st rd exit
1999 Pats 8-8 (last place)
2000 Pats 5-11
2001 Everything goes right
2002 no playoffs
2003 Everything goes right

With the exception of '96 & '97..Pats fans haven't had their hopes crushed by "what could have been".

Now the Fins..let's see how many times they've broken the fans hearts..

1990 2nd round of playoffs..Fins pull to within 30-27 into the 4th qtr @ Buffalo..Mark Logan fumbles next kickoff killing Mario's last chance for comeback.. :cry:

1991 Dolphins take 20-17 lead over the hated Jets w/ 30 seconds left in "winner-take-all" final game for a playoffs berth..they proceed to choke it away... :cry:

1992 Dolphins host AFC Championship and only trail 13-3 into the 2nd half. Mike Williams fumbles the kickoff and hopes fade away.. :cry:

1993 Marino's injury destroyed hopes for a title. This team could've been a great one.. :cry:

1994 Stoyanovich misses a FG that would've sent the Fins to the AFC Championship... :cry:

1995 1st rd exit
1996 8-8 rebuilding year
1997 1st rd exit
1998 2nd rd never had a chance
1999 2nd rd never had a chance
2000 2nd rd never had a chance
2001 1st rd exit
2002 Dolphins lead 24-13..only 5 minutes left until we are crowned AFC East Champs. They completely choke.. :cry:

2003 High hopes crushed again... :cry:

Dolphin fans have been through alot of heartache since 1990. All we can do is dream, because a championship seems so impossible.

Yes, you have a good point. We are consistently good enough to get hopes up, only to have those hopes crash against the rocks. While I'm a homer, for the most part, I've been in the "show me" mode the last couple years. Really, since Jay was injured @ Denver, or should I say, since Lucas screwed the pooch against Buff the following game. I just came to realize that, while there is always SOMETHING, some legitimate reason we can point to for the failure to get over the hump in each season, there is ALWAYS something, each season, that happens, so I just roll with it nowadays rather than turn into an evil, grouchy monster wallowing in depression following a Phin loss.

Ouch, you bring back so many great memories :cry:

On a more sombering note though, I think the Bills have us beat for most heart-breakers...

At least we have been to 5 Superbowls and won 2. They have been to what 4 straight Superbowls and came up empty on all of them. In their best SB, their kicker was "Wide Right," while in the other 3, they were out played...

Now thats a "Heartbreaker Gold Medal." It almost makes me feel sorry for them... ;)

Disnardo, those two SB wins were a long time ago, it`s been 20 years since we were even in the SB. Bet most of the people who post on here weren`t even born when he won them. 30 years removed from our last title have produced alot of heartbreaks, and I`ve been at, or watched every single one of them. We have almost always had a competitive team in every one of those 30 years, so I`d say we easily have had our hearts broke more often than any team.... probably shaved 10 years off my life. But, guess what? I keep coming back for more....cause everything will fall into place one of these years!

Justasportsfan said:
4 consecutive sb losses. nuff said.

That's true, but at least you've seen your team get there. I was friggin 12 years old the last time Miami made it. That's so sad. I wasn't even interested in football. I was playing with my Commodore 64 and my Transformers. Is that too old for toys?..hehe

Anyways, alot of fans here would kill just to see the Fins get to the Superbowl..it would send this town into a frenzy..10 times what we saw with the Marlins when they got to the World Series.

What is sad is to have seen the greatness of the teams :evil: in the 70's. The total lack of reason why Dan never won a ring, and now to sit here with everything but a Qb to win it for us.Dolfanreal69 :evil:

it has killed me every year. but it is funny how right now i feel we can do it. i felt that way last year until opening day against houston.

I'd far rather be in the position we're in than be a Cardinals fan. You guys can call it heartbreak, but I'll still take it over watching the team suck every year.

Im not heartbroken just disapointed to see all this talent combined into this great organization with no leadership to drive them. I would like for Miami to win a Superbowl and have JT,Ricky,Zach and yes Wannstedt hold up the Lombardi trophy and let it retire in miami for a year:) then let Miami keep it there for good

Jimmy James said:
I'd far rather be in the position we're in than be a Cardinals fan. You guys can call it heartbreak, but I'll still take it over watching the team suck every year.

I don't think anyone here would prefer to be a fan of a team that stinks every year. Why would you think that anyone wants that?

That Pats fan was just gloating about their 2 titles and I was explaining why it's still just a dream for us Dolphin fans. They haven't suffered that much in recent years.

What I'm saying is that true heartbreak for me isn't being very good -- it would be sucking hard for so long that it's a celebration when the team gets into the playoffs for the first time in two decades. You guys can have a different standard, but I'm just not on board.

Jimmy James said:
What I'm saying is that true heartbreak for me isn't being very good -- it would be sucking hard for so long that it's a celebration when the team gets into the playoffs for the first time in two decades. You guys can have a different standard, but I'm just not on board.

Yeah, that's always going to be the case. I remember the way that i felt in 1990. I was going crazy because it was the first time in 5 years that Miami made the playoffs. We are somewhat spoiled...However, I also remember how I felt in 1988. Miami had a terrible team..I didn't have much hope..and they were terrible (6-10). I hated the feeling of knowing that my team didn't really have a shot to be a title contender. I guess it 's a case of picking your poison...having no hope or being disappointed.

Which fans do you think were more "heartbroken" last year? Cardinal fans or Vikings fans? It always hurts more when you think of what could have been.

The only time I was heartbroken was the game against New England 2 years ago. There is no way Miami should of lost that game. I never seen a team fold so bad. It was about 10 million times worse then the NY Jet Monday night game. I am just getting over the New England loss.

Yea, at least our Marlins have won the WS twice in 8 years...the Red Soxs, last won a title.....um....how long ago ??

Seriously...I think being a RS fan is worse than being a Cardinals fan...

Back
Top Bottom