Do We Underachieve or Overachieve? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do We Underachieve or Overachieve?

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
For me, when it comes right down to it, the only question I really care about is how well do the Dolphins achieve? There are overachievers in this league, such as Bellichick, who took less or the same talent all the way, and then there are underachievers, such as Spurrier, who did less with more. I personally can't stand underachievement. I only ask a person do the most with what he has to work with, but never underacheive.

As Dolphin fans, I think the main reason so many of us are angry, is that the Dolphins have underachieved lately. We forget that we were spoiled by the King of Overachievers, Don Shula, for so many years. Remember the famous Bum Phillips quote, "He'll take his'n and beat your'n and your'n and beat his'n." In other words, Shula adapted to the personnel he had, taught the basics, and demanded excellence. It was always about "getting it done" as he used to say. He always got the most out of what he had.

My vote is that we have underacheived the last 2 years and that's why we are all demanding a lot more this year. Does anyone agree or do you think Wanny has gotten the most out of what he's had to work with?

FinFan57 said:
My vote is that we have underacheived the last 2 years and that's why we are all demanding a lot more this year. Does anyone agree or do you think Wanny has gotten the most out of what he's had to work with?

He's gotten the most out of the offense that he can...the talent hasn't been good enough. How much can we do with a QB that can't throw a deep ball and o-line that couldn't block for the run or the pass? He's done pretty solid with the defense. I'm just glad he's not the GM anymore. That was his biggest problem.

you would have to last year we finished about where we should at 10-6, but in 2002 with Ricky running wild, we should be easily won the division.

By looking at the talent we have, I would say that we have definitely underachieved the past two years.

They have underacheived, but I wouldn't put it all on Wannstedt. Those veteran players need to step up in the biggest games. They have a chokers mentality ever since the Miracle in the Meadowlands in 2000.

Someone some where on this team has to step up and be the one who makes the plays that wins us games. That someone is "THE WHOLE TEAM!" Not just players going for individual glory. It takes the whole team all giving everything they have to get to the next level.

Underahcieved. For the talent they have, and as an organization for not getting better talent.

I think we are underachieving because of the coaching on the team. We build first half leads, then turn our offense off and expect the defense to shut down the other team's offense. We need to keep our offense in attack mode in the second half.

The team has overachieved. They had talent in some areas but also big holes primarily at OL, WR and QB. This was also the opinion of the NFL GMs that Huizenga polled.

Last two seasons we have underachieved. The two seasons prior to that where we made playoffs (although we didn't go far) we overachieved. Damn, do I think the Marion-Walker safety was so good back then and will prove to be again in Detroit.

Back
Top Bottom