Do We Underachieve or Overachieve? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do We Underachieve or Overachieve?

Zacher87 said:
We are pretty well-known as the underachievers of the NFL.
Bingo! We haven`t won a Super Bowl since 1974. We haven`t been to a Super Bowl since 1985. We are the NFL`s winningest franchise, but yet it`s been 30 years since our last championship. Yeah, you could say we underachieve.

Historically, I'd say we've overachieved. It's pretty obvious - winningest franchise, with 4-5 non-winning seasons in franchise history! And we haven't had that much talent all the time...

However, lately (personally, it all started in '98) we've underachieved. We've been blessed with great drafting defensive-wise, and had *enough* (yeah, that's debatable alright!) offensive weapons to let the defense takes us all the way (if that makes any sense). Now, the reasons... that's a whole different story.

this shouldnt even be a question, for not just the past 2 years, i'd say for the past 4yrs we've been underachievers

With this D on paper anyone would say that we can take it but on the field... its plain and simple we are underachievers!!!

Atila said:
i'd say for the past 4yrs we've been underachievers
I think people tend to forget that in 2000 the Dolphins were picked 4th or 5th in the AFC East. They definitely overacheived that year, by winning the division.

Think about it, new coach that was fired from his first HC job. And the offense!!!:cry: Losing Marino and replacing him with an unknown in Fiedler, RB Lamar Smith had just served jail time and wasn't that great of a back to begin with, the WR's were McDuffie(who ended up hurt), Gadsden(both fairly solid and maybe just above average at best) and Leslie Shepherd, and who the hell was the TE, Jed Weaver maybe?

The only thing that team had going for them was a good defense. You may be able to say the same thing for them in 2001, it was basically the same team although they were coming off a division title.

Do some of you guys really think we've only underachieved for the past 2 years? I say that we've underachieved every year since 1993...ironically with the exception of the 1996 season where we only went 8-8 but it was JJ's first year as coach and he stripped the team to nothing...totally rebuilding and with an extremely young team, going 8-8 was overachieving... but I would say other than that year we've underachieved EVERY year since 1992 when we went to the ACF championship... It wouldn't be so bad if we would just learn how to win in december...

Ahhh, I stand corrected... 2000 was an overachieving year... Good call.

Most definately underachieve

When they are on, this team routinely dismantles some of the best teams in the league during the past few regular seasons...

Our players show off at the Pro Bowl.

BUT, they choke at the end of the year and when facing adversity like when Fiedler goes down.

This is a COACHING problem. Miami has not had a coach with fire in his belly since the mid 80s with Shula.

Wanny should have been fired and replaced with Coughlin after last season.

:cry:

Dolphan_B said:
Wanny should have been fired and replaced with Coughlin after last season.
:cry:
We don't wanna kill the players... just have them relearn the fundamentals...

When the Q.B. plays badly teams can't win. The O-Line couldn't block anybody last year. No holes for Rickey and no time for Jay to throw. One reciever of starting quality in the N.F.L. Wannstedt the G.M. stunk. He only cared about the defense. This year we've got much more firepower on the O-Line, a new starting Q.B. and David Boston. If we don't make the Playoffs then we're garbage. Spielman has been very effective as G.M., now Wannstedt better Coach his butt off.

BSQX4 said:
When the Q.B. plays badly teams can't win. The O-Line couldn't block anybody last year. No holes for Rickey and no time for Jay to throw. One reciever of starting quality in the N.F.L. Wannstedt the G.M. stunk. He only cared about the defense. This year we've got much more firepower on the O-Line, a new starting Q.B. and David Boston. If we don't make the Playoffs then we're garbage. Spielman has been very effective as G.M., now Wannstedt better Coach his butt off.

The Ravens didn't have good QB play when they won the Super Bowl.

QB play is important, but if you don't get good production out of the position it doesn't necessarily mean that you won't win games.

I do think the talent level of this team has improved, but the offensive line is still a question mark. They have never played as a unit before and we don't know how good their chemistry will be. They are more talented than before, but we don't know how much better they will be.

This team should be able to play better than they did last year. If Wanny doesn't get this team to the AFC Championship, he should get fired, but I don't think we will get there. I bet Wayne will keep him around if we miss the playoffs if he has at least 9 wins. :shakeno:

Back
Top Bottom