Do you want a 9 to 5 coach? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do you want a 9 to 5 coach?

iceblizzard69

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Steve Spurrier is known for not wanting to work long hours. He has made jokes about coaches such as Jim Haslett in the past because he works hard. Coaching in the NFL requires a lot of time, and one of the many reasons why Spurrier shouldn't be our coach is because he doesn't want to put in the hours. He wants to go home. He wants to go out and play some golf.

When Spurrier coached the Redskins, they looked poorly prepared. After Snyder went out and got the players he wanted for his system, they sucked. The QB got killed even more than our QBs get killed because his protection schemes are a joke. His offense didn't work. The defense wasn't very good either, but Spurrier just completely ignores the defensive side of the ball. They call him the "Head Coach," but in reality, he just coaches offense. Wanny sucks but he as well as the 31 other coaches in the league work with the players on both sides of the ball.

Show me some proof that this is the case and isn't just a media portrayal.

Yeah, he joked about Jim Haslett. When a reporter saw him in his office at midnight during his Washington tenure, he told the reporter not to report it, because it would ruin his reputation.

This is as much a media fabrication as his personality off the field is.

I have heard the same thing, I don't have the proof, but one of the things that came out when he took the Redskins job was he was upset he could not golf all year round except to travel. It does make you think.

Here's the quote:

"Asked if he would put in long hours like Haslett did, Spurrier said, "I saw a story saying Jim Haslett comes in at 4:30 every morning. That's not doing him much good."

Reads to me as if he was poking fun at the Ain'ts like people are making fun of the Lphins now.

What was more interesting to me, is that later in that article it mentions his tinkering with the QB position... and how "everyone" here begs Wannstedt & Co. to do the same, right here, right now. We plead with Wanny to put the young guys in and see how they do, and what we got for next year... it reads to me that that is what Spurrier was doing- he's not happy with the way it is and is trying to get it to work. He only had 2 years under a maniac Owner that meddles. Even a great D coordinator was brought in (Lovie Smith) and he wasn't able to turn the Defense around for Washington.

If Spurrier comes to Miami, I just hope he's learned how to handle NFL players and their egos. Or, do what the Patriots have done and only acquire players that will buy into the system, and cut off those that don't.

Back
Top Bottom