Does a 3-13 season get you closer to a championship? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Does a 3-13 season get you closer to a championship?

rafael

Hall Of Famer
Club Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a perception that being really bad gets you closer to a SB victory than having a good, but not great team. I've heard that theory from posters and even coaches. I assume it stems from the perception that higher draft picks means you improve faster. I don't agree. IMO it's easier to retain players on a good team and sound drafting can even up the higher pick advantage especially when you consider the high salary cap cost of a mistake in the the top 5 picks. Thoughts?

The facts speak for themselves, though...Miami has had, what, one losing season in the past 26 years? They've been "running with what they have" for quite awhile now, haven't been to the Super Bowl since 84, let alone won it.

Maybe losing with your core group of players creates a stronger desire to win...

Jimmy Johnson always said the opposite of great is not horrible its good! Being "good" makes you timid to take the chances necessary to be great. One wonders if that's where we are?

Ohiophinphan said:
Jimmy Johnson always said the opposite of great is not horrible its good! Being "good" makes you timid to take the chances necessary to be great. One wonders if that's where we are?
I don't wonder if thats where we are, I know thats where we are and where we've been........theres been this perception for some time that were so close that we won't do any major tinkering with this team, just fill a few holes and line up.

Finally this year they have tinkered with the line but you wonder if its too little too late, same with the QB position, Jay's play in 2000 warranted immediate competition and a serious effort to upgrade, and yet, after four years he's still in the mix to start.

I wouldnt want to sacrifice a season of 3-13 just to win a Super Bowl. If this team was good enough, we'd get there regardless of trends or any such media hyped bullcrap. Stay 10-6, 11-5, improve on it, get to 12-4 or 13-3 and win a championship

Look at the Bengals and Cardinals over the last 15 years or so, then consider teams like the Lions, Chargers, Bears, & Falcons....all teams that have been pretty bad the last five years or so(Bears and Falcons did have one winning season each). Losing does not make a team better. It's the players and personell.

BlueFin said:
I don't wonder if thats where we are, I know thats where we are and where we've been........theres been this perception for some time that were so close that we won't do any major tinkering with this team, just fill a few holes and line up.

Finally this year they have tinkered with the line but you wonder if its too little too late, same with the QB position, Jay's play in 2000 warranted immediate competition and a serious effort to upgrade, and yet, after four years he's still in the mix to start.

BlueFin...You are right

I don't think this is true at all, just ask the Cardinals. Being crappy one year does not mean you will eventually get good. When a team starts rebuilding, that does not mean that the team will get to a Super Bowl in a few years. 3-13 does not get you closer to a championship.

I don't want to find out. I couldn't stand it if the Dolphins were complete crap. The future holds no guarantees.

3-13 stinks and the only time to put a positive spin on it is if it happens to you. Not to many coaches are going to give a press conference after that 13th loss...rubbing their hands together and grinning.."just as we planned".

That's like saying "Yeah I know I'm married to Anna Kournikova and I'm getting sex 4 times a day with her and sometimes we have a threesome with her and Jennifer Anniston but theres this really sweet girl in the special ed class at vo-tech that's got this hump and sweet eye-patch I've been trying to ask out!"

The grass is always greener on the other side. I'd have to go get me a rope if we go 3-14 or 4-12 or 5-11 etc. Because I'd be having me a hangin'!

RICKYSABEAST said:
That's like saying "Yeah I know I'm married to Anna Kournikova and I'm getting sex 4 times a day with her and sometimes we have a threesome with her and Jennifer Anniston but theres this really sweet girl in the special ed class at vo-tech that's got this hump and sweet eye-patch I've been trying to ask out!"

The grass is always greener on the other side. I'd have to go get me a rope if we go 3-14 or 4-12 or 5-11 etc. Because I'd be having me a hangin'!
lol nice post :cool:

Back
Top Bottom