Dolphin D

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Losman7, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Losman7

Losman7 Greater of 2 Evils.

Last year, as you all know, teams ran the ball on you fairly easily.

But you did have one of the best pass defenses in the league.

This year, you have added a few guys on the DL to bolster the run support, but was it enough?

And now that you've lost 3/4 ths of the secondary your pass D will suffer.

I know the goal is a balance, but has the focus shifted to far away from the secondary to the point where that will be the achilles heel?

2. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin A True Fan

a stronger pass rush will help with the shortcomings in the secondary.

3. dominizzo

dominizzo CAMERON EARTH WAKE

I think our D line will pan out the only worry i have ius the secondary but i see us having a top 10 offense so it should be awesome + Frerotte will be good in the Linehan system he knows it and has an arm so i say the d will keep us in the game

4. Philter25

Philter25 MORE COWBELL!!!

IMO teams dont need 2 shutdown CBs. A good pass rush can make an average CB look good. Its a give and take relationship. We lost both our starting DTs last year and therefore teams ran all over us. We didnt have a great pass rush and left our CBs out there for 5-6 seconds to cover people. Thats not possible.

This year my concerns are at DT and FS. CBwise, I think we will be fine and excellent at SS. If we play more zone coverage, we dont need Pat Surtain. Im worried about FS and our DT depth. If Chester is a no-go, we have Traylor and Carter. This limits the views our front 7 can show because Traylor is the only 3-4 DT we have. A lot of articles are talking about how we can use JT, but without a pivotal DT, JT might be limited to RDE.

Your defense pivots around your DT IMO. If you get a guy who can play a 3-4 and 4-3, the possibilities are endless. Traylor CAN do that, but for how long? He is 34 and not at the peak of his career and doesnt have a backup if Chester goes down. Carter is not a pivot DT. He is more of a 4-3 DT and a 3-4 DE. I think this is a position that needs to be helped in the supplemental draft or then next years draft.

Our secondary will not be our achilles heel, the DT will be.

5. LOCAL SCUM!

LOCAL SCUM! A True Fan

Our Pass RUsh is gonna be too much for any team (especially your team the Bills) to be able to complete downfield, thus Picking up the slack from the secondary.

6. ccphinfan

ccphinfan Pro Bowler

With The Speed Of Taylor Crowder And Roth It Will Take A Lot Of Pressure Of The Db's

7. dominizzo

dominizzo CAMERON EARTH WAKE

lets hope they pan out if they pan we will have a great future

8. Motion

Motion A True Fan

Exactly, I think thats one of the keys of Saban's Defensive scheme. Put constant pressure on the QB. That will make any secondary look better.

9. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin A True Fan

we also played man to man/press coverage in the past. our scheme is gonna totally change

10. Dolfan1000

Dolfan1000 Hall Of Famer

Saban's system (similar to Belichick's now that I think about it..) relies on a strong pass rush and lots of blitzing, which forces the opposing QBs to make mistakes and makes the job much easier on our DBs. That is how Bill has gotten good production out of some mediocre DBs (especially last seaon with all the injuries) In today's NFL, a strong pass rush is more important then a shutdown corner.

11. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I think the Dolphins defense is in a bit of a transition. The unit should be strong overall and have some dominating games. However, there are question marks at DT and at safety that could be exposed. I think Saban will find a way to make things work, but there may be some up and downs as the players learn the new system and until a few more additons come on that side of the ball.

12. cltchperf

cltchperf Pro Bowler

Travis Daniels might do good at cb, and if he plays cb then I don't know what Miami is going to do for their FS position, I think that will be more of the weaker link. Things would have been a lot better for Miami's secondary if Will Poole didn't get injured because then Travis Daniels could perhaps play FS, but what you gonna do, thats the way things are in football, players are always injured, its just a matter of who it is.

13. HybridPHIN 23

HybridPHIN 23 the N E W Dolphilbins

We lost Both our starting DTs very early last year... so judging last years run D is a waste of time.
    In the 2ndary we did lose a premiere CB, and our up and coming CB is out.. but thats all we've lost. In comes Daniels who can play CB or FS, T. Jones is the same, if not better than Knight IMO, and Freeman, Edwards were nothing special. Bell, Bigby, Bua and Parker all have lots of potential.
    Overall our Run D will be a Brick Wall this year. our front 7 has greatly improved.
    And our secondary won't lose a step.

14. Losman7

I thought your D-line was a weak point this year, Carter and Traylor are pretty old.

Taylor is solid, but he can still be double teamed, who is starting opposite him? Bowens? Roth could be a player down the road, but it even took Taylor some time to develop into a force.

Your LB's are suspect, ZT is still a tackle machine, but Seau hasn't been himself in four years, and now he's had the injuries, i don't see him suddenly reverting to his form of 7-9 years ago after being average for the last four, I'm sorry.

Then you have a young guy on the other side, a wildcard. It could be solidified in training camp, and could be a strength for the team. Too early to tell.

The Secondary took a big blow losing poole. Madison isn't near the CB Surtain was, maybe 6-7 years ago he was, but without having the presence of a top 5 corner on the other side he will have to raise his level of play

The safties, aside from Tillman and Tebucky who have been nothing but mediocre DBs thier entire careers, I don't really know anything about. And no need to write "YOU WILL KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT THEM NEXT SEASON BARFALO JERK!!" because that says absolutly nothing.

Off topic, where would you select the Miami D in a fantasy draft...as of right now, not knowing how any of the young guys will perform, were would you rate your D?

15. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Losman7 quote: "Off topic, where would you select the Miami D in a fantasy draft...as of right now, not knowing how any of the young guys will perform, were would you rate your D?"

I think around 10th. While the defense has a few question marks this year, it will be helped by better schemes and an improved offense - having Carter opposite Taylor on most downs will be tough on opponents, moreso than Taylor/Ogunleye IMO. The D is not championship caliber IMO, but could be if Saban can find a dominating young Tim Bowens type (Bowens retired by the way and TBuck is not on the team) and perhaps a top-notch safety in future drafts. The linebackers aren't as good as Buffalo's, but I think this could definitely be an area of strength. Seau is still above average, although how he comes back from injury is a concern. Roth and Crowder could both see time there and Taylor will lineup in multiple spots. Pope showed a lot of potential as a rookie linebacker as well.

16. Losman7

I meant Tebucky, sorry.

Good analysis, I just don't know what Seau is gonna have left.

17. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin A True Fan

I just don't know what Seau is gonna have left.

if hes healthy, he'll probably be just as effective as last year. hes had lots of time off to recooperate and refresh himself.

18. Losman7

I expect Seau to have a year like he has the past four, around 80-100 tackles, couple sacks.

Do you realize he has forced only 2 turnovers and had 5.5 sacks in the last 3 years. He's a decent LB at this point, but not what he was in SD 7-9 years ago.

19. MelbournePhin

MelbournePhin A True Fan

im pretty sure all of us here realize that hes not like was 7-9 years ago. im not sure if any player in their late 30s plays like they did 7-9 yrs ago. bottom line is that hes a solid player and his worth goes beyond on-the-field issues. hes a force in the lockerrom and a mentor for our young LBs

20. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Vonnie Holliday will most likely be the other starting DE with Roth and Bowens rotating in. We are stacked at the DE position, it is the DT spot that worries me. Kevin Carter is good and Traylor is big and can clog the middle, but if Chester really can't come back we should add another player. Wright from USC would be an excelent pickup.

21. Losman7

I forgot about Hiliday, that rotation should be solid.

Manuel Wright could be ghood down the road, but he's not going to make an impact THIS season, assuming saban wants to bring him in.

22. Nublar7

Nublar7 Retired Finheaven VIP

Your right, Wright wouldn't be a major impact this season, but it would be nice to have a young DT who can get a few snaps a game so he is ready to maybe start next year or in 2007. Wright would definitley be a good DT to groom over a year or two into a starter.

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Manning to Tyree = Best SB Play EVER!!!!

Defense is hard for me to judge. From what I have read about Saban's system having a bunch of big run stuffing defensive linemen does not seem as important as it was in the old system. By what the LSU fans have said that his defense is more dependant on having a bunch of good defensive end type players. That Saban likes to stock up on those types of players. Which says to me that he does plan to use players those players on stopping the run.

Then you have the secondary, which is now more of a scheme type of secondary rather than a line up one on one we will beat you type secondary that we have seen in the past. So looking at the secondary of old you would see, Sam, Pat and the Safties and think, those guys are talented they should be a good secondary. Now it seems to be, are those guys athletic and smart enough to be a good secondary unit. Where last year there was a lot of Pat and Sam one on one on the same player, this year that does not seem to be the case. It does not look like it is going to be Sam and *insert cornerback here*'s job to take away the outside recievers. So the question is, are the defensive backs that are in smart enough to pick up the system and athletic enough to be effective in it.