Dolphin Fans suffering from Stockholm Syndrome! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphin Fans suffering from Stockholm Syndrome!

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Reaction score
(sorry to those that caught this in the other thread) ( NPI)

What is the 'Stockholm Syndrome'?

* In 1973, four Swedes held in a bank vault for six days during a robbery became attached to their captors, a phenomenon dubbed the Stockholm Syndrome. According to psychologists, the abused bond to their abusers as a means to endure violence.

It's so obvious that it's astounding this hasn't been brought to light already. Obviously, there are fans among us who are identifying with the enemy as a means to endure the "failure" of the Miami Dolphins each season.

Virtually anyone can get Stockholm Syndrome it the following conditions are met:

# Perceived threat to survival and the belief that one's captor is willing to act on that threat
# The captive's perception of small kindnesses from the captor within a context of terror
# Isolation from perspectives other than those of the captor
# Perceived inability to escape.

While I'm not sure about the perceived kindness angle everything else fits the psyche of our lost fans.

There is a perceived threat, and there does seem to be the belief that we are powerless to oppose it.

We have tried to convince our wayward fans that there is another way to look at things but most are locked into the "captors" perspective from spending too much time talking smack.....and of course, they see no means of "escape"...ie; improvement by our current regime.

I have found this exerpt that varifies my theory....

The Stockholm incident compelled journalists and social scientists to research whether the emotional bonding between captors and captives was a "freak" incident or a common occurrence in oppressive situations. They discovered that it's such a common phenomenon that it deserves a name. Thus the label, Stockholm Syndrome, was born. It has happened to concentration camp prisoners, cult members, civilians in Chinese Communist prisons, pimp-procured prostitutes, incest victims, physically and/or emotionally abused children, battered women, prisoners of war, victims of hijackings, sports fans, and of course, hostages.
:D

thanks Omaha....I put many minutes into this study.

inFINSible said:
(sorry to those that caught this in the other thread) ( NPI)

It's so obvious that it's astounding this hasn't been brought to light already. Obviously, there are fans among us who are identifying with the enemy as a means to endure the "failure" of the Miami Dolphins each season.

While I'm not sure about the perceived kindness angle everything else fits the psyche of our lost fans.

There is a perceived threat, and there does seem to be the belief that we are powerless to oppose it.

We have tried to convince our wayward fans that there is another way to look at things but most are locked into the "captors" perspective from spending too much time talking smack.....and of course, they see no means of "escape"...ie; improvement by our current regime.

I have found this exerpt that varifies my theory....

:D
Nice.............on the other hand..........maybe Dave Wannstedt is just a misplaced coordinator that will never see post-season success as a head coach..........10 years of mediocrity and counting.....tick tick tick

BlueFin said:
Nice.............on the other hand..........maybe Dave Wannstedt is just a misplaced coordinator that will never see post-season success as a head coach..........10 years of mediocrity and counting.....tick tick tick

It's very nice of you to volunteer as a case study....thank you very much. :D ;)

As you can see by the above quote, the victim is so paralyzed with fear, that the concept of a joke is ignored and the syndrome rears it's ugly head for all to see. He immediately places himself in the protection of his final ring of defense by trying to spread the enemy rhetoric, Thus appearing as if he himself is the aggressor rather than a fan of the team. This defense mechanism will save him from the pain and suffering associated with failed expectations should they occur.

But, the drawbacks to such a desperate defense strategy are severe. With some even suffering excommunication from their own fan site.

If the victim suddenly finds himself in the midst of a successful season he may lose his/her voice altogether and most certainly would require a testicular reinsertion surgery, or two.

Even then it's 50/50 whether he will ever be accepted back into the brotherhood that he turned his back on.

*edit*I forgot to mention the heart transplant surgey that is a prerequisite for full recovery.

This board gets very silly when there is no football activity to talk about.This is a slow news month.

CrunchTime said:
This board gets very silly when there is no football activity to talk about.This is a slow news month.

My next thread will be much better.....the tentative title is...." Feeley better than Fiedler: An emotional knee jerk reaction"
or "Feeley. Fiedler. Two.:Electric Bugaloo"

I agree this is football. route for the fins and have a pair. Sticking with them when they dont win will make it all the sweater when they do!

inFINSible said:
It's very nice of you to volunteer as a case study....thank you very much. :D ;)

As you can see by the above quote, the victim is so paralyzed with fear, that the concept of a joke is ignored and the syndrome rears it's ugly head for all to see. He immediately places himself in the protection of his final ring of defense by trying to spread the enemy rhetoric, Thus appearing as if he himself is the aggressor rather than a fan of the team. This defense mechanism will save him from the pain and suffering associated with failed expectations should they occur.

But, the drawbacks to such a desperate defense strategy are severe. With some even suffering excommunication from their own fan site.

If the victim suddenly finds himself in the midst of a successful season he may lose his/her voice altogether and most certainly would require a testicular reinsertion surgery, or two.

Even then it's 50/50 whether he will ever be accepted back into the brotherhood that he turned his back on.

*edit*I forgot to mention the heart transplant surgey that is a prerequisite for full recovery.
On the other hand......perhaps this fan has just been around long enough to have seen enough to know when he's being fed a load of BS.....perhaps he's also mature enough and man enough to admit when he's wrong should that event occur.

The real syndrome that should be discussed is cognitive dissonance......fans who have witnessed year after year of inconsistent quarterbacking from one particular player but still believe he is the answer, or fans who watch year after year of unimaginative coaching and still think this coach is going to lead this team anywhere.

I can assure you, should Wannstedt somehow become something he's never shown and lead this team deep into the playoffs I will be here eating crow, I doubt many of the "True Believers" will be here admitting they were wrong about Wannstedt/ and or Fiedler should they once again fail.

Back
Top Bottom