Dolphins defense laments the big ones that got away | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins defense laments the big ones that got away

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Rookies make rookie mistakes, and that's exactly how Sean Smith explains the 47-yard bomb he allowed Chargers receiver Malcom Floyd to pull down.

Smith, who had shown himself as a ball hawk in college career at Utah and during the Dolphins' exhibition season, admits he was trying to pick off Philip Rivers' pass to Floyd. He was in position to corral the ball, but it went right through his hands and landed in Floyd's for the big catch.

In hindsight, Smith said he should have just knocked it down instead of trying to impress the 50 family members and friends he had at California homecoming, a 23-13 loss to the Chargers.

"I was there. I just didn't make the play. I have to be better than that. It's something that I can't afford to happen anymore in those types of situations," said Smith, who contributed one tackle in the game. "I can't give them a big play, momentum swing like that. I was there. I should have made the play." But it's not like Smith was the only Dolphins defender who got taxed for a big one.

Rivers also hit the Dolphins up for a 55-yard pass to Vincent Jackson, who managed to split cornerback Will Allen and strong safety Yeremiah Bell's coverage to get open for another long bomb.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...phins-chargers-defence-092709,0,6513000.story

havin safety help for our cb's its like havin them cover 1 on 1 because our safeties are jus plain horrible at coverage....on both bombs both of our safeties were behind the receiver and our cb...how does that happen they have a head start they jus suck its sad

If our safeties are gonna be useless anyway, might as well just keep them in the box for run support and blitzes.

-obviously i'm being a little extreme but c'mon man

Back
Top Bottom