Dolphins have been awarded TE A.J. Derby off waivers per league source | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins have been awarded TE A.J. Derby off waivers per league source

I guess this was someone the front office was high on but the staff had no idea about.

I like the move...J.Thomas won't be here next year...Fasano a F.A

I am assuming he will compete with Gray & they will bring someone else in F.A or draft

weird about Scott tho with the coaching staff carrying 6 wr's these past 2 years for him.

PRO DAY RESULTS

40-yard dash: 4.69 and 4.75 seconds
20-yard short shuttle: 4.51 seconds
Three-cone drill: 6.99 seconds
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Big, physical and fast. Athletic in space with ability to create some separation out of breaks. Has speed after catch in open field. Posted impressive 54-yard touchdown catch and run against Alabama secondary that struggled to catch him. Can line up all over the field. Natural pass-catcher. Had only one drop during 2014 season. Showed willingness to catch throws over the middle and take the punishment. Unique perspective after playing quarterback and linebacker before move to tight end. Ability to add roster depth at two positions as emergency quarterback. Comes from football bloodlines. Father and uncle had stops in the NFL and his brother lettered at Iowa.
WEAKNESSES
Has only one year of tight end experience. Routes have very little polish to them. He needs time to learn the nuances of position. Run blocking very much a work in progress. Uses poor hand placement and fails to sustain blocks when in-line. Balance at contact needs to improve when blocking in spaces. Has habit of using one rather than two hands for difficult catches. Was unable to play in final game (Texas Bowl) due to knee injury and continues to heal.

Good backup TE option. Still need a starter, preferably in the draft next year. Rookie, Derby, Fasano.

Well, some pretty good info here. Thank you, folks.

Definitely not going to complain about taking a flyer on this kid for nothing.

Here’s where the turnaround starts boys :thumbsup
I just don't get you guys. All that bitching about having a crap roster and we should draft this guy and that guy and we pick up a young kid on a position of need nobody of you have heard of before. This is like a draft pick without spending a draft pick with the advantage of this kid having some experience and can be further evaluated this year. What is the downside? Why that mocking? NE is known to rummage through other teams garbage piles.

I have never seen Derby so I won't pretend to have insight. But, someone mentioned above that he had fumbles. Ugh, I hope that's not a pattern because the self-destruction, unforced errors, and mistakes make it tedious to watch the team, and it's disheartening that it's not getting fixed. I don't want more fumblers.

Back
Top Bottom