Dolphins linebackers vs. the pass? Not a fair fight | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins linebackers vs. the pass? Not a fair fight

AL R

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Kiko Alonso allowed 10 of 11 passes thrown against him to be caught for 138 yards in Sunday’s loss to Tampa Bay. For the season, Alonso has permitted completions on 48 of 59 passes for 523 yards and three touchdowns. Those 48 completions are second-most among all 4-3 outside linebackers.

Lawrence Timmons has allowed 29 of 39 passes thrown against him to be caught for 244 yards and two touchdowns, with a 107.2 passer rating in his coverage area.

Mike Hull, who played early in the season when Timmons went AWOL and was suspended for a game, has allowed all nine throws against him to be caught for 91 yards.

http://amp.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article185703538.html

Just some highlights from the article.

Which comes first? An average OL or LB unit? Will it ever happen- Dave Hyde really has it down with his groundhog day avater.

I've got Gronk on my fantasy team, he may outscore my opponent all by himself.

This is a big reason we should be 2-8, relying on overpaid and old LB's like this. They don't make plays, they're not dynamic, and they can't cover. The fans don't realize how bad it really is with our GM.

We need two starting linebackers again in the offseason unless Anthony proves otherwise. Kiko and Timmons have to be replaced.

You have to understand why Gase brought in the LB's he did though, that unit was so bad that he had no choice but to sure them up ...hence the "overpaid and old LB's" you are referring to. Expect to see a couple more brought in during the draft to be developed and eventually replace the ones we have now.

This has to have something to do with the scheme. The Patriots lack athleticism at LB and you don't notice. They have the corpse of David Harris and a guy we cut Trevor Reilly seeing defensive snaps. I guarantee we won't see them chasing Williams, Drake or Thomas in coverage Sunday. I think even Roberts is a thumper and is also not good in coverage.

We won't be able to stop them on D, Brady will be untouched and complete passes at will. I'm afraid they may score 50 and we'll be punting all day...count on it. We are no match for them and Beli will eat Gase up with capitalizing on mismatches. Should be fun to watch, yea right.

This has to have something to do with the scheme. The Patriots lack athleticism at LB and you don't notice. They have the corpse of David Harris and a guy we cut Trevor Reilly seeing defensive snaps. I guarantee we won't see them chasing Williams, Drake or Thomas in coverage Sunday. I think even Roberts is a thumper and is also not good in coverage.

Now we're talking. I'm not saying the D is top 5, but a well thought out scheme, IMO, would make them noticeably better. Burke seems to do OK early, but hasn't yet shown he can make adjustments.

Now we're talking. I'm not saying the D is top 5, but a well thought out scheme, IMO, would make them noticeably better. Burke seems to do OK early, but hasn't yet shown he can make adjustments.

Actually, the D has had some solid second halves of games. Atlanta, NYJ (second meeting) and this last game - until the field goal - are examples off the top of my head.

Our linebackers have sucked since we 're built them in 2013. As bad as the offense is, I still want us to invest a 1sr round pick in a linebacker. I am sick of the linebackers ruining our defense.

The bigger question is whether Miami can fix all of it's weaknesses in one offseason.

Job #1, fix the offensive line. That has to be the priority in free agency and the draft. The Dolphins absolutely have to spend at least one premium pick on the offensive line.

I'd like to see the Dolphins get a difference maker on defense in round 1, maybe that's an athletic linebacker (Smith on Georgia) or maybe its a dominant defensive lineman who can make teams think twice about doubling Suh.

The bigger question is whether Miami can fix all of it's weaknesses in one offseason.

Job #1, fix the offensive line. That has to be the priority in free agency and the draft. The Dolphins absolutely have to spend at least one premium pick on the offensive line.

I'd like to see the Dolphins get a difference maker on defense in round 1, maybe that's an athletic linebacker (Smith on Georgia) or maybe its a dominant defensive lineman who can make teams think twice about doubling Suh.

I dunno, I'd use our first pick for another DE if it were me and not OL. I think we have G and C options we need to look at on the roster. I'd add an FA or 2 and let them compete. Not popular I'm sure as the OLINE has been the biggest wart talked about on this site for years but pass pro has been decent over the last 3 weeks despite losses. Let's face it Cam Wake is getting old. If we roll into 2018 and our best pass rusher is 36 we're in trouble right from the get go. Andre Branch's pass rushing ability, or actually lack thereof, has been discussed here already. I say we need to draft another DE to pair up with Harris and hope the 2 can be feared pass rushers for years to come. We also need a physical RB. That's where I go in the first and 2nd rounds unless a can't miss prospect falls on our lap at some other position. We can't just discount the potential line of:

LT Tunsil - We're not giving up on him after 1 full season at LT. I just don't see it.
LG Davis
C Brendal
RG Asiata
RT James - I don't want to create a hole just because we feel he's overpaid.

Probably not a likely scenario for that line but bring in a few interior guys to compete. I just think we have no pass rushing or sledgehammer RB options here and need them. If we do bring in FA lineman we should study durability. May sound dumb but I feel our lineman drop like flies every year.

Back
Top Bottom