Yashu Mane!!!
Club Member
Reaction score
Dolphins Team Report
4/14/2006

By Jason Cole
Miami Herald
clear.gif

DRAFT BUZZ: Having traded for QB Daunte Culpepper and signed CB Will Allen, S Renaldo Hill and LT L.J. Shelton, the Dolphins are looking to take the best available player or perhaps trade down; they have talked to a number of teams about deals. The team hopes a trading partner falls in love with one of the cornerbacks or wide receivers who are expected to be available at the 16th spot. TARGETING: The top three needs are a nose tackle who fits well into a 3-4 scheme, a top-flight cover cornerback and a wide receiver who can be a No. 2 or 3 target as a rookie. At nose tackle, the Dolphins got by last season with Keith Traylor, who missed two games because of a knee injury. He'll turn 37 in September. The team drafted DT Manny Wright last season, but he is better suited to play in a 4-3 scheme because he isn't a hold-the-point defender. Candidates at tackle include Oregon's Haloti Ngata and Florida State's Brodrick Bunkley. Drafting a lockdown cornerback would allow the team to make Travis Daniels the nickel back. Miami is looking at Virginia Tech's Jimmy Williams, Florida State's Antonio Cromartie and South Carolina's Jonathan Joseph. The most intriguing spot the Dolphins could look at is wide receiver; they have had Ohio State's Santonio Holmes, Florida's Chad Jackson and Miami's Sinorice Moss in for visits. The team wants to give Culpepper another significant weapon and make his transition into the Dolphins' offense easier. That said, don't be surprised if the Dolphins stray away from all of those positions in the first round. The Dolphins had Texas QB Vince Young in for a visit in case he falls to them. They also could take an outside linebacker with great pass-rushing skills who could fill the spot vacated when Junior Seau was let go.

nice, thanks for the heads up, I just really wish I knew what was going to happen on draft day. I can't wait.

Good info, but really nothing new. Bring on the draft already.

This has to be one of the toughest decisions....BUT, because this draft IMO is so loaded with talent....

I would probably trade down as well and pick up a coveted 2nd round pick.

1) Trade down..cornerback or Sinorice Moss

If there isn't a guy who slips like crazy at 16 I really hope we trade down for extra picks because there is a ton of talent late in the 1st round.

elite14eva said:
The team drafted DT Manny Wright last season, but he is better suited to play in a 4-3 scheme because he isn't a hold-the-point defender.

Ok, I'm not exactly too comfortable with this comment. Either Saban plans to switch back and forth between 3-4 and 4-3 pretty often with Manny going in for the 4-3 sets or Manny may be a waste of talent that may not quite fit in with our team. Hopefully Saban can work with him to help him become a better 3-4 tackle instead of just looking past him.

Good stuff.Just a few more days and we'll see what happens

Trading down is looking better and better. I listened to an interview with Mangold, Ohio State's Center, and he sounds like he really has it together...I would love to trade down and get Mangold late in the 1st, or maybe we can grab someone else and take Mangold in the 2nd....either way, it would be nice to get a 1st and 2nd rounder.

Does anyone think we can get a really good deal in a trade, I keep thinking back to the trade when the Giants and Chargers swapped QB's but the Giants gave another #1 to the Chargers, I still don't get that.So, I was just wondering if we can get another #1 or more 1st day picks??? Thanks

Last year when we were gung-ho on getting a 2nd round pick we wound up with Roth. Now I'm not calling Roth a bust, that would be stupid, but I doubt he ever returns 2nd round value. Let's stick at 16 and get that impact player by going BPA.

Koehler13x said:
Ok, I'm not exactly too comfortable with this comment. Either Saban plans to switch back and forth between 3-4 and 4-3 pretty often with Manny going in for the 4-3 sets or Manny may be a waste of talent that may not quite fit in with our team. Hopefully Saban can work with him to help him become a better 3-4 tackle instead of just looking past him.

You can rest easy knowing that comment is Jason Cole's opinion on what Manny Wright is capable of.
Any analysis from any of the sports writers from the Herald or the Sentinel you can throw right into the trash.

Saban is well aware of the defense he runs and which prospects will fit it. I'd be willing to bet they took that into consideration when they drafted Manny Wright.

Back
Top Bottom