Dolphins looking to trade up in the Draft? | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins looking to trade up in the Draft?

most small guys austin is getting compared to were running backs. someone mentioned barry sanders before, that guy was 205 lbs and compact. thick thighs.

i would offer people to think about bess as a slot guy. he hasnt ever completed a full season i believe. he is 205 i believe. not fast and elusive like austin but does anyone really think this guy is going to juke lb's and safeties in the nfl on a consistant basis? He will get hit for sure. The kind of impact that everyone sees just will compare to college life.

just think ted ginn going fetal. not saying austin willgo fetal, but he will surely know that life in NFL will be different, and he wont be working various positions and moving around. he wont be a boundary guy. he will be a slot guy. slot guys get hit. alot.

i would rather have swope. he is as fast and knows this offense and much better value

I think they will take Tavon Austin or Eifert, or trade up for Lane Johnson

i'm dovetailing your thread of your 3 various mocks you did on here fanfin.

The problem i see with Austin or Eifert as our #12 pick is Irelands "horizontal" board. that pick has to be considered an elite player for him to pick them there. They set there board a while ago i beleive with grades on players and they dont tweek a whole lot on guys on elite status much once its set.

I think they think Eifert is the top TE in this draft, but not top ten wow guy.

On Austin, same thing. more special teams guy first year and work him into slot more as season goes on. Not enough value for them to do this for a returner. Me personally, if we draft austin, i am not going to poo poo the move, i will just be skeptical long term the same way i was when we got ginn or marshall.

The only justification for these two will be to trade down instead of up. And the good news is there are 3 teams with two first rd picks looking to trade up that we dont have to play against for 3 years.

Huge difference between selecting one of the 3 top tackles at 12 and trading up.... I'm all for the former...

i'm dovetailing your thread of your 3 various mocks you did on here fanfin.

The problem i see with Austin or Eifert as our #12 pick is Irelands "horizontal" board. that pick has to be considered an elite player for him to pick them there. They set there board a while ago i beleive with grades on players and they dont tweek a whole lot on guys on elite status much once its set.

I think they think Eifert is the top TE in this draft, but not top ten wow guy.

On Austin, same thing. more special teams guy first year and work him into slot more as season goes on. Not enough value for them to do this for a returner. Me personally, if we draft austin, i am not going to poo poo the move, i will just be skeptical long term the same way i was when we got ginn or marshall.

The only justification for these two will be to trade down instead of up. And the good news is there are 3 teams with two first rd picks looking to trade up that we dont have to play against for 3 years.

Without a doubt everyone is entitled to an opinion. And I certainly believe the FO knows a lot more than me who is just a fan. But if they don't see Austin as a top 10 wow guy, then I respectfully disagree. He IS the biggest wow guy in the draft, at least top 5. No way a tackle is more wow than Austin. Granted having a solid OL is important especially now that we have a potential franchise QB. But Long never won us a single playoff game and neither will whoever we get to replace him. Austin can win us some games by scoring some points.

I like the idea of trading for Albert or trading up for one of the OT's. It is great value because all three of the top OT's are rated high and would be as so any draft. The other positions I cannot say that. I think Dee Millner has become overrated. The pass rushers and DT's in round two will match productivity with those from the 1st.

Let's get a good player.

Without a doubt everyone is entitled to an opinion. And I certainly believe the FO knows a lot more than me who is just a fan. But if they don't see Austin as a top 10 wow guy, then I respectfully disagree. He IS the biggest wow guy in the draft, at least top 5. No way a tackle is more wow than Austin. Granted having a solid OL is important especially now that we have a potential franchise QB. But Long never won us a single playoff game and neither will whoever we get to replace him. Austin can win us some games by scoring some points.

he will be a slot guy. they will cover them. ireland went to the syracuse bowl game. he made some plays, but they werent big.

its just me transposing someone like austin in the pros. its different in the pros. you cant hide behind switching from RB one week to WR the next.

If we draft austin, he will be asked to return punts and kickoffs and told to focus on that first and slowly work his way into the offense. I just dont see them doing this at 12 when we have 5 very capable guys already in this offense. I get on board more if bess is out of the picture, but that leaves holes at OL and CB. I am not seeing it in philbins image.

but the good news for austin lovers is we are meeting with him before the draft as is st louis, SF, and others.

Because our general manager believes in drafting prototypical players. Measurables weigh heavily in our draft evaluations. They might not completely dictate our process, we might not remove a player from our board just because of his size, but it does play a huge consideration.

The smallest receiver Ireland has drafted was Clyde Gates, and even he was 5'11. I cant see this front office drafting any player who is 5'8 180 pounds, much less with the 12th overall pick. Maybe the pressure is on Ireland more then i think(read: i think hes 100% safe and he knows that) and perhaps he will draft Austin. But it was be totally out of character for him.

edit: and to add, we have spent draft picks based on players physical attributes: Patrick Turner, Koa Misi, Michael Egnew....id also include Daniel Thomas, but some felt he was drafted because of his vision and feet.

Because our general manager believes in drafting prototypical players. Measurables weigh heavily in our draft evaluations. They might not completely dictate our process, we might not remove a player from our board just because of his size, but it does play a huge consideration.

The smallest receiver Ireland has drafted was Clyde Gates, and even he was 5'11. I cant see this front office drafting any player who is 5'8 180 pounds, much less with the 12th overall pick. Maybe the pressure is on Ireland more then i think(read: i think hes 100% safe and he knows that) and perhaps he will draft Austin. But it was be totally out of character for him.

edit: and to add, we have spent draft picks based on players physical attributes: Patrick Turner, Koa Misi, Michael Egnew....id also include Daniel Thomas, but some felt he was drafted because of his vision and feet.

Joe Philbin. Randall Cobb. nuff said.

Those are good points. I think Philbin has more influence in the picks. The GM's job is to pick the players that fits the coach so we have players that work within the scheme. Ireland won't pick a player Sparano would have wanted and expect him to work in Philbin's system. Austin is a fit. We want playmakers and Austin is that. We shall see I guess only those guys know what they got cooking. I will support whomever they pick.

when you run a west coast offense, you dont need the top ot's....y

Last year people told us we didn't need great receivers to run a west coast offense. Now we find out you don't need a great OT either.

Why doesn't every team run this magic offense?!

These people need to get together with the people that say you can get a running back anywhere and show us how it's done.

Those are good points. I think Philbin has more influence in the picks. The GM's job is to pick the players that fits the coach so we have players that work within the scheme. Ireland won't pick a player Sparano would have wanted and expect him to work in Philbin's system. Austin is a fit. We want playmakers and Austin is that. We shall see I guess only those guys know what they got cooking. I will support whomever they pick.

Common misconception on this forum. It is not the general managers job to get whatever player the coach wants. If it was, why have the GM at all? He would just be the middle man. Its a general managers job to build a winning roster. Thats it. You can do it through the draft, you can do it through free agency, you can do it through trades, you can do it through getting the type of player a coach wants. As long as your winning, it doesnt particularly matter. If Philbin is pushing for Ireland to draft player Ireland feels are bad, then its Irelands job to shut that down. Nothing happens on this roster without Irelands stamp of approval.

As for "not picking players Sparano would have wanted":

Ireland, on what he’s looking for in the draft: “I’m a big firm believer of prototypical sized players. … I like big corners. Offensively, maybe looking for a little different offensive line type, maybe a little bit more athletic.”
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/s...ort-miami-might-spend-a-mid-or-lower-r/nT7YK/

Quoted 1/26/13. And the article was done by Ben Volin, so people need not freak out.

Im not saying that its an absolutely guarantee that we will draft an offensive lineman nor is it a absolute guarantee that we will pass on Austin if given the chance. Just that its keeping in character for this regime to pass on Austin and draft a lineman high. Believe it or not, Tony Sparano was not adverse to acquiring good players. In fact, "getting playmakers" was exactly the mindset behind the Marshall trade. So, other then Marshall and Wallace, what playmakers has Ireland acquired? Dansby? Regularly slammed on this forum. Bush? We didnt get him to play the same role he did in NO(making plays in the open field) and instead asked him to play a more traditional role(admittedly, he desperately wanted that role).
With the signing of Wallace and Gibson(another prototypical-type player), the extension of Hartline, and that Matthews is still on this roster, i could easily see our GM hitting the "check" mark with that position. Meanwhile, we have this glaring hole at tackle and refuse to fill it even though decent players like Winston are available....

Back
Top Bottom