Dolphins New Identity (Time to move forward) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins New Identity (Time to move forward)

FinaticalOne

DieHard FinFan 4 Life
Reaction score
Man, Ricky started a s#!tstorm, didn't he? This is my first response about his ill-timed departure that has left me as frustrated as anyone. I will go on the record as one who believes we can still be competitive as long as the Fin braintrust change their offensive philosophy, but I'm not talking superbowl.

Ricky's departure sets us back in a big way as far as offensive philosophy and depth, which points too my only problem with Ricky is the timing he decided to retire. Just two weeks prior to his retirement, he went to the Dolphins Team Leadership meeting and gave an impressive speech on what they need to do to get to the Super Bowl. Then, he quits on his team without notice. From a team concept, this is by far one of the most selfish acts in professional sports ever. Ricky was looked upon by his teammates and fans as a "leader" on the Fins and to do what he did, in my opinion, is inexcusable. If not playing football makes him happier, that's cool, and I'm I'm happy for him, but there is a way to go about doing it properly. His mom even expressed her dismay over his self-centered action. He should've gave the Fins time for the transition of "post-Ricky" to go smoothly, I think his teammates and coaches deserved that kind of courtesy, afterall; they lay it on the line everyday like he did.

Ricky did make a point in his latest response about run Ricky left, run Ricky right, and run Ricky up the middle "is not real football." I wholeheartedly agree with that 100%. For example, we lived on Danny's arm for 19 years and did not win a single superbowl :shakeno: because we didn't provide Danny with enough talent around him. Recent champions, the Patriots and Ravens are prime examples, it takes a total total team effort. We had other talent on our offense last year besides Ricky, but (I'm guessing) Ricky was 70-75 % of our offense. That is way too much for one person, especially when we have other talent to use. Our coaches has to realize it's team's strengths and weaknesses, and then properly utilize the talent they have to win ball games. This is where I think the Fin braintrust failed Ricky. If you read between the lines on some of Ricky's lastest comments, he is trying to tell us this.

Ricky believes we "may be better off with out him". He could have a point there. We did not make the playoffs during his brief tenure with us. Ricky's departure puts our coaches in a position to look at every individual's talent and use it appropriately (total team effort) giving our offense a "new identity". Having Ricky in the backfield left the coaches lazy and content. We now have two WRs who can take it to the house if you put the ball in their hands, and a TE who can wreak havoc in the middle of the field. With this kind of talent on offense, we only need 90 yds a game (although a 100+ yds a game would be nice) from whoever our starting RB may be to have a balance attack. Don't give me that "who's gonna get the ball to our receivers?". That's where our coaches have to realize our QB's strength. Our QB's are capable of getting our WRs and TEs the ball, just don't put them in a position to make throws they should'nt be trying (like Fiedler's deep out). Ricky's departure plays into Feeley's favor now because Feeley can make the throws that Fiedler can't. It's our coaches job to get both of our QB's prepared NOW for our new identity, because whoever our starting QB is, will have to step it up as the same for or RBs and WRs and TEs and coaches (total team effort)

I tentatively look forward to this season. The thought of not having Ricky anymore is scary, but at the same time exciting because not only do we not know what to expect from our offense, but opposing teams don't know what to expect too. We have enough talent to field a good offense, it's our coaches job to put it all together. Ricky is no longer the identity of our offense, which can be a good thing. Ricky is trying to tell us that. So now, it's time to move forward. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom