"Dolphins QB Chad Henne not playing like rookie" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Dolphins QB Chad Henne not playing like rookie"

Very nice read. The whole QB thing in training camp is scaring me. I'm a Beck believer but, from the sounds of it, he's having a horendous camp. Hopefully someone can emerge and be the leader of this team this year. I don't wanna live through another miserable season like last years.

Sounds like Hennes going through the growing pains of learning to become and NFL starter. Looks good to me.

I am more and more confident that we finally have the next guy. Beck isnt it. McCown is the guy to handle the ship until he is ready to start. henne will have his ups and downs but i really am stating to think he is the guy.

I am more and more confident that we finally have the next guy. Beck isnt it. McCown is the guy to handle the ship until he is ready to start. henne will have his ups and downs but i really am stating to think he is the guy.

How dare you write off John Beck. lol :hi5:

I really enjoyed that artcile about Henne. After last season and we threw beck to the wolves, I haven't been an advocate of starting a rookie QB. But after reading that article, I may reconsider... Maybe that is.

I think it's a straight coin flip out of McCown and Beck. I had hopes that Beck would come out this TC and preseason and show he will be the definite starter, but the more I hear the less hope I have in the guy. Preseason will tell all we need to know, and it's right around the corner. All I do know is that I have definitely migrated my hope to Henne. I liked the draft pick in April, but I just didn't think he would have a chance to get much time this season and now there is a chance he is our guy from the start. If not I'd imagine he will be by the San Diego game after the bye week.

Nice article. Chad has definately impressed me in the early stages of this training camp. So, I'm anxious too see how he does in the preseason games. While he may not start on Opening Day, he will start a lot sooner than everybody thinks. I'm really liking what I see in him.

I think it's a straight coin flip out of McCown and Beck. I had hopes that Beck would come out this TC and preseason and show he will be the definite starter, but the more I hear the less hope I have in the guy. Preseason will tell all we need to know, and it's right around the corner. All I do know is that I have definitely migrated my hope to Henne. I liked the draft pick in April, but I just didn't think he would have a chance to get much time this season and now there is a chance he is our guy from the start. If not I'd imagine he will be by the San Diego game after the bye week.

That is a pretty good time frame. I don't think they want him in there right off the bat. let him go through the motions a few weeks, maybe even 5 or 6 games in. Not in it to win it this year but the experience he would get would be huge. He played for 4 years in front of 100,000 plus fans in a top conference so I think he can start before many other rookies might.

not only did he play for 4 years in front of 100,000 plus, he started as a true freshman. it'll be a short bit of learning the differences in the game and then he'll step in. he won't have a problem with the pressure, imo. he will also be fairly confident in his blindside protection.

I am getting the feeling that there is actually a good chance that Chad Henne will be under center week 1. It is still very early and a lot can happen between now and the first week with all the practices and 4 preseason games, but Henne seems to be taking that step while Beck and McCown are not.

I do think Henne could get the nod, though the coaching staff could play it safe and make McCown the starter to at least start the season before handing it over to Henne. Sadly, I think Beck is asserting himself as the #3 guy.

watching Beck last year, like any rookie he made mistakes. But the guy threw darn good balls, he just had ZERO linemen to protect him, and ZERO WR's to throw to, and a crappy running game.

McCown...i honestly dont know what made us go for him in the first place, but he is a decent QB. its more than likely going to be him starting in the first week, but he surely isnt the key to winning for us. he isnt a franchise QB. i see him being a great backup.

Chad Henne has a cannon for an arm, good size, etc...and so far, it wouldnt surprise me if he started in Week 1. i think the Jake Long and Chad Henne connection could really help. it woulda been awesome to add Manningham or the other Michigan WR to really make a good connection.

no matter who the QB is gonna be...he is going to have a good OL, good RBs, and a good set of receivers (along with TE's) to throw to. if someone put a gun to my head and said "pick ur starter for week 1 or else...", id say Josh McCown. but im HOPING for Chad Henne!

I am getting the feeling that there is actually a good chance that Chad Henne will be under center week 1. It is still very early and a lot can happen between now and the first week with all the practices and 4 preseason games, but Henne seems to be taking that step while Beck and McCown are not.

I do think Henne could get the nod, though the coaching staff could play it safe and make McCown the starter to at least start the season before handing it over to Henne. Sadly, I think Beck is asserting himself as the #3 guy.

Agreed. Historically, the QB's who have the best NFL success are those with a long college track record, i.e being successful starting for more than 1 season( Manning, Marino, Kelly etc). The one season wonders like Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf more often than not are the ones who disappoint.
The fact that Henne has started since his freshman yr is quite impressive.
If he is equal with the other 2 QB's in camp, then I would start him from day one just like Manning and Aikman did.
The running game should be able to take some pressure off of him. He doesn't have to throw 300yds a game.

I would love to see Henne start week 1. Throwing a rookie out there right away can be tough, but he's a good quarterback and has been in these situations before. I think he would do fine out there.

That article reminds me of one of my favorite quotes about him:
"We talked about how this kid is going to have to line up in front of 110,000 people, with millions watching at home," recalled Terry Malone, the Wolverines' offensive coordinator during Henne's first two seasons. "The way he practiced and went about his work, I made the comment either he's not bright enough to understand what he's about to get into or he's as tough a guy as we've had here.

Good read. I do think Henne is our future at QB but I don't really think he will play at all this year unless he is head and shoulders above Beck and McCown. Starting a rookie QB out of the gates usually doesn't bode well for his future. There aren't many QB's out there have starting from their rookie year and out of those that didn't you'd prolly be hard pressed to find one that wasn't a 1st rounder. There's no reason to rush things. I think the horrible way Beck's career was handled last year has had a major effect on his confidence and may have ruined what little chance he had to be a starter.

Back
Top Bottom