Dolphins rookie Isaac Asiata still battling to claim his spot | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins rookie Isaac Asiata still battling to claim his spot

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
It would be a pleasant surprise if he could lay claim to the OG spot. We got value for him in the draft as most gave him a 3rd or 4th rd grade.

20170817-ale-dolphins-ravens-033.jpg

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...saac-asiata-still-battling-to-claim-his-spot/

I'd say he's battling to claim a roster spot at this point. With Jesse Davis and Eric Smith above him on the depth chart, he needs to get it together, and fast.

So only 3 true tackles and smith active on game day

You have them cutting Sam young

Bushrod, Tunsil, James, Davis , and Smith....all have Tackle experience. I believe Davis and Smith primarily played tackle in College. Sam Young = No Bueno.

Disappointed, he's got bums in front of him

Yep, surprised he hasn't made a stronger push to nail down a starting spot. I don't think he's getting cut, but it'd be nice to see a good performance Thu night.

Asiata will definitely make the team. I hope he claims the starting guard spot. At this point, I'm wondering if they want to play him at RG after this year, because it doesn't seem like they're convinced with what he is showing at LG. I like Jesse Davis' physicality and size ... but he is not an ideal fit. Steen is a smallish plugger who Asiata should beat out if his technique is solid. This is about the time I was hoping and expecting Asiata to make his push into the starting ranks ... but it hasn't happened yet.

Maybe there's something in practice or meetings we're not seeing that's causing the coaches to want more from him?

Asiata will definitely make the team. I hope he claims the starting guard spot. At this point, I'm wondering if they want to play him at RG after this year, because it doesn't seem like they're convinced with what he is showing at LG. I like Jesse Davis' physicality and size ... but he is not an ideal fit. Steen is a smallish plugger who Asiata should beat out if his technique is solid. This is about the time I was hoping and expecting Asiata to make his push into the starting ranks ... but it hasn't happened yet.

Maybe there's something in practice or meetings we're not seeing that's causing the coaches to want more from him?
It's definitely obvious he is gonna be our future RG. He barely saw any time at LG. Davis has LG locked up imo

I don't know many teams that role with rookie udfas as the 3rd active tackle on gameday at the NFL level

Sam Young is probably still our 3rd tackle. But Smith certainly has outperformed him in preseason

What's interesting is that I think I saw something that said Jesse Davis was a converted dt. If that's the case I can definitely see Miami betting on upside there. Position change and athlete aren't hard to invest time in.

Best move athlete guard option in the building no doubt.

Not surprised. Coaches should know his transition from a man/gap scheme to zone wouldn't be seamless and there would be a heavy learning curve. He'll be given the time to learn the new techniques of a ZBS, especially since they love his attitude and work ethic. He will be on the final roster for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom