Dolphins' Thompson excels now but can he do it when it counts? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins' Thompson excels now but can he do it when it counts?

minus

Perennial All-Pro
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
"Davie -- Right now, in August, when there isn't much scrutiny and the plays are on the practice field, Derrius Thompson is a star.

Watch him power past cornerbacks off the line during practice. See him leap over safeties and snag balls from the sky in a drill. Notice that impressive physique and imagine him thrashing defensive backs on game day.

Not many Dolphins are making more plays than Thompson each day in training camp"

Rest of the article:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...ug04,0,3749779.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

he and this whole team are going to have to step up and fight hard this year... can no longer depend on the D. Marino's and RW's to be there.

That was an interesting diagnosis by Sullivan in analyzing last years problems with Thompson.

"I think Derrius last year suffered, and this is me and him talking, I think he felt like he let people down and that people lost confidence in him," Sullivan said. "I think it really bothered him because I think he's a real sensitive guy and he wants to do the right things and he wants do it the right way.

"We're going to play the style of game I think that best suits him. He's a big, strong, physical guy. He's got good hands and he's got some toughness about him and I can see him starting to blossom a little bit. I feel like his self-esteem has really improved."
He had a horrible first game for the Miami Dolphins. Fans continue to define him by that game. That is stupid.

If self-esteem or lack of confidence was a major negative factor affecting his performance last year...then here is a novel idea...Stop trashing the guy and give him another chance to prove himself.

I know the guy can play. I watched him perform here in DC. He played much better the second half of the season then the first half (yet with fewer oportunities). I refuse to define him by his first game in a Miami uni.

If Sullivan can drill some confidence in the young man and it improves the way he plays the game...Thompson will be a productive player for us this season.

The problem is only exacerbated with fans though...they have no confidence either.

Well, I think Thompson has the physical tools to become a slightly above average reciever at the least. He shows flashes of that in TC and the preseason and he just has to find away to translate that same play to the field on Sundays. I guess were gonna really find out how good Sullivan is now. Let's see how much he can improve on DT's numbers from last year.

He was great 2 years ago for the redskins i was happy when we got him i thought our 2 spot was filled so i kno he can do it this year he'll prove his critics wrong.

clear.gif

Back
Top Bottom