Dolphins training camp goals | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins training camp goals

RiderOnTheStorm

Starter
Reaction score
Dolphins training camp goals by FOX SPORTS

Prep with 'Pep'

The storyline expected to garner the most attention during the preseason is whether quarterback Daunte Culpepper will be sufficiently recovered from three torn knee ligaments to start the Sept. 7 regular-season opener at Pittsburgh.
Using the team's June minicamp as a barometer, it appears Culpepper has a legitimate chance of being under center against the Steelers. Although not completely healthy yet following last October's surgery, Culpepper looked relatively smooth with his drop-backs and forward running.
"I'm a guy that thrives off determination, and I'm determined to be successful in anything I do," Culpepper said. "This is another roadblock. It's a tough roadblock, but I'm glad for the opportunity. I just have to keep doing the things I've been doing."
Culpepper's arm already was in mid-season form at the minicamp, as he is clearly the best pure passer the team has fielded since Dan Marino. Culpepper already has wowed wide receiver Chris Chambers, who is expected to build upon his 82-catch, 1,118-yard campaign in 2005.
"When I went out to the Pro Bowl, I got a chance to play with Peyton (Manning) and Trent (Green)," Chambers said. "Right then and there, I knew there was a difference between some of the quarterbacks we had before and the ones at the elite level. He (Culpepper) is right up there with them."
Dolphins coach Nick Saban has said he won't rush Culpepper back on the field. That could push new backup Joey Harrington into the starting lineup against the Steelers.
"The more I'm out there, the more comfortable I get and the more second nature it becomes," said Harrington, who was acquired in May in a trade with Detroit. "You can't think about it out there. You just have to do it."

Settle the secondary

Since the end of the 2005 season, the Dolphins have added three new projected starters alongside returning cornerback Travis Daniels with the free-agent pickups of cornerback Will Allen (New York Giants) and strong safety Renaldo Hill (Oakland) as well as the selection of free safety Jason Allen in the first round of April's draft. Miami also will field a new nickel cornerback, with the returning Will Poole (knee) set to compete against free-agent signing Andre' Goodman (Lions) for that role.
Miami hopes the acquisitions improve a pass defense that allowed opponents to complete 58.8 percent of their passes and 40.3 percent of their third-down conversions in 2005.
"We've got some real quality guys that came in," Daniels said.

Adjust to new coordinators

The Dolphins are the NFL's only team to have added two head coaches from last season to head their offensive and defensive staffs.
When hired as offensive coordinator, Mike Mularkey knew that Dolphins coach Nick Saban wanted to keep the terminology that was installed last year by the departed Scott Linehan (St. Louis). But Mularkey is expected to install some of his own wrinkles, especially when it comes to placing a greater emphasis on a power running game and incorporating some of the razzle-dazzle that earned him the nickname "Inspector Gadget" while offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh earlier this decade.
Dom Capers doesn't have the defensive coordinator title only because of a technicality involving his Houston Texans contract (i.e. Capers is still collecting the bulk of his salary from the Texans while billed as a "special assistant" to Saban). But there is no question that Capers, who was fired in January as Houston's head coach after four seasons, is essentially running the defense. Capers' expertise with the 3-4 defense fits in well with the Dolphins, who began incorporating that scheme into their system last season.

Back
Top Bottom