Dolphins Want 4 Year Deals From Later Draft Picks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Want 4 Year Deals From Later Draft Picks

VanDolPhan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...ons/thursday/sports_043ed65975a24139000b.html

"Noteworthy: Agent Drew Rosenhaus reported no progress on contract talks for restricted free agent Adewale Ogunleye and rookies Will Poole and Tony Bua. Dolphins General Manager Rick Spielman plans to speak with the agents for the rookie class next week. One stumbling block could be Miami's preference that rookies take four-year deals. Last year, four Dolphins draft choices signed three-year deals, which gives players the possibility of restricted free agency."

Looks like the trend on 4 years is kicking in. Also wondering if they want 4 year deals just because Poole and Bua look promising?

Almost all 3rd-5th round rookies around the league have been signing 4-year deals. It's a good idea for the team to get 4-year deals, but players don't like it because they'll have to wait one extra year to become free agents.

VanDolPhan said:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...ons/thursday/sports_043ed65975a24139000b.html

Last year, four Dolphins draft choices signed three-year deals, which gives players the possibility of restricted free agency."

Looks like the trend on 4 years is kicking in. Also wondering if they want 4 year deals just because Poole and Bua look promising?

Yes, IMO if you are promising you get a 4 year deal or more. The only draft picks that got three year contracts last year were the 6 and 7th round picks.

Undrafted free agents get two year contracts. And yes some like Ogunleye and Jerman beat the odds.

That's why I said in the other thread about Carey's contract: I wouldn't be surprised if they pin 6 years on Carey depending on the signing bonus.

Teams like the Dolphins offer mid-round draft picks higher signing bonuses if they'll take 4-year deals.

Four year deals are the future in the NFL. Teams have figured out that, in order to stay under the cap and stay competitive, they have to get more milage out of draft picks. The Dolphin's were fortunate (or unfortunate depending on how you look at it) that their draft class was full of obscure names with little leverage. Forcing four deals on them was a slam dunk. This year's draft class will be more difficult to sign to four year deals, imo. Will Poole will be particularly resistant because of the great value he represents as a fourth rounder and because, from what I've been reading on this site, his agent is Drew "show me the money" Rosenlouse. In the end the Dolphin's will get the four year deals; they'll have to to stay competitive with the rest of the league.

For those with Drew as an agent, what's the difference between a 3 and a 4 year deal... he'll just get a trade.... errm sit out rather than man up and play his RFA year.... right? :lol:

(See Ogun, Wale)

Yeah and make an a@# of the player and himself in the process!

Back
Top Bottom