Dolphins will pursue Zach Brown in Free Agency…Again | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins will pursue Zach Brown in Free Agency…Again

ReppinThe941 said:

This is the modern day NFL brother...

Would everyone here love to build every position through years of the draft and amass a deep and talented roster?

No Sh**!

The reality of the NFL is that you only get "x" amount of draft picks. And when you have "Y" amount of holes on your team, you cant address them all in the draft.

It means you need to sign quality yet not top notch talent in Free Agency if you are trying to address every "need" possible..

Could LB be addressed via the draft? Of course!

Is it realistic to think that we would spend our first 2 draft picks on LB? No it is NOT!

What is one to do in this situation?

Maybe sign an above average veteran to a reasonable multi year contract (2 or 3 season) at $2M -$3M per.

What does this do? Its offers you FLEXIBILITY in the draft to take the only approach required - drafting the BPA.

Also....

Acquiring players with sensible contracts that are a better option then what you currently have is not a "band aid" approach.... this alongside the draft Is how modern day NFL rosters are built. Not just one or the other.

We can walk and chew gum at the same time.....

------------------------

I understand the 'modern NFL'. I also understand that the best teams in the league tend to not build their teams with over-priced free agents. How many names do teams like the Pats and Steelers chase? I have no problem going the FA route for a LG for example, because I think there's value there. My comment about going the draft route for LB is that I don't think the UFA list is very good and I think Zach Brown is a below average player who isn't good in coverage and they should pass on him because he will likely cost for more than his value.

As far as walking and chewing gum at the same time...if I understand what you're saying, I think I agree. lol. That is, so long as your plug-in UFA is only on a short term deal, then sure, there's value there. But this thread started talking about pursuing Zach Brown which is what my post was originally about and he does not fit that mold because he will want a multi-year deal at high $$$.

Cause it's the deadest part of off-season. What sane person would entertain the thought of trading RT17 any other time of year? Or Ross being done with Suh? The same reason people actually start working on and discussing mocks as if the world will remain static between now and draft day. The deadest part of off-season.

This. It's the same over at the Formula 1 boards in the offseason. Every single article, in the first few comments... "This is news??!?! This site is garbage yadayadayadayada" Obviously people are here for anything Dolphins related, down to the last scrap of potential "news".

I'll take it.

Back
Top Bottom