Don Shula in Today's NFL?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by So Be, Jun 26, 2014.

1. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Today's media, tech, and players are different than when "The Don" coached. How would he have handled today's game?

Also, he coached some "characters." Wonder how they would have fared under media microscopes, and with twitter access.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

he would have been great in any era, part of being great is being able to adapt to the changing times.

3. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Shula would have been a great coach in any era. And like many great coaches, he'd need a strong personnel evaluator to help him.

4. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler

He would have handled it by kicking a** and taking names.

5. MRojas4

MRojas4 The Cheese Connoisseur Finheaven VIP

Well.... for starters.

He probably would of told Snake Martin to quit being a little ***** and go change his tampon.

But hey, thats just my view on things.

:tumbleweed:

6. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Some fun to speculate what Butch & Sundance, and well as Garo, etc may have been tweeting. Garo called Robbie cheap. That would have been good for over 100 posts and a few thousand reads. lol

7. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

If were applying today's media, technology and etc to when he was coach he wouldnt have lasted as long as he did. After about the 5-6 season of not winning a title with Marino he would of been shown the door.

8. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Flowers of May

Even with the technology as it is today, Shula would be a great coach. Anyday of the era of the NFL!

9. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Depends on which Shula your talking about. The young hungry Shula, or the old content Shula.

10. Digital

Digital Starter

Magnificently. That's how he would have handled it. The guy had like 2 losing seasons ever. He had more coaches go through there than Miami Airport.

He built a team around Unitas, another around Csonka, and another around Marino. He found guys who could do stuff and built systems and recruited coaches that could use the stuff they did well.

He regularly drafted low and didn't have the advantage of free agency to plug his holes. He made his team physically superior by working them mercilessly (today they have 17 padded practices and rarely a two-a-day, but Shula had them doing four-a-days without water). He drilled knowledge and discipline into his troops so they were regularly one of the least penalized teams in the league.

He dominated physically, intellectually, and relentlessly. As Bum Phillips said, "He could take his' n and beat your'n, then turn around and take your'n and beat his' n."

Yeah, Don Shula would have succeeded in today's NFL.

11. DolfanDuBbZ~

Free agency was apart of the landscape during Shulas late years. Trace Armstrong among many others come to mind.

12. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

No question Don Shula had the "it" factor that the great coaches have. There are some very successful coaches that likely wouldn't have fared well in today's NFL. You think any owner today would give Tom Landry seven years to pull off his first winning season? Of course Landry ended up as one of the all-time greats.

13. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly" Finheaven VIP Donator

With the way things have been going in Miami the past ten plus years, all I have to say is.....I miss Shula patroling the sidelines more than ever! Imo, Don Shula takes a backseat to NO coach in NFL history.

14. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

So right. 33 years coaching and only 2 losing seasons - one of them 6-8 and the other 6-10. And don't forget the team he somehow got to a SB with the late David Woodley at QB and the late Andre Franklin at RB.

15. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

Don was great over three decades. I don't know how many eras that is but it's a lot. 33 seasons coached w just 2 losing seasons and 6 Conference Championship wins, 2 SB wins. He would be fine in today's era - as he was in the 60's,70's,80's and 90's.

16. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Even the so called old content Shula seemed to always be a Chess Grand master thinking many plays ahead, problem was he also allowed a DC that was useless to the type of team Shula wanted on the field....I guess after think about it, you are probably right, the old Shula would not have allowed his team's defense to fail as much as Olivadotti's did for that long.

17. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I have to wonder if today's fans would have been kinder to the "Living Legend" for failed drafts, FA signings, and not being able to surround "Dan The Man" with the talent to get back to the Super Bowl.

18. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

not a chance, we get too much info as fans and we all think we know a lot more than we actually do. would that affect him? I don't know, it doesn't affect BB who had similar early success in NE like Shula in Miami but hasn't been able to win it all in a long time(for them).

19. DolfanDuBbZ~

Difference is BB has won something recently. Like in recent memory. People still hang on to wins in the 70s, and forget his failures in the 90s. Shula failed on a epic scale by never finding a running game for Marino or developing a future QB for post Marino. Shula did alot, but once the 90s hit...it was a eventual slow death and left people grasping for the glory days of the early 80s.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc Banned Hammered

don won in the 70s, made SBs in the 80s and still made the playoffs in the 90s. BB won in the 00s, made SBs in the late 00s/early '10s and we'll see where it goes from here. 1972 & 1973 are a long way from 2014 but if he won them 10 years ago it's not that long. if his career was the Marino years and you never won a SB then that's different but assuming the first half of his career is the same he'd have a long leash.

21. DolfanDuBbZ~

He did have a long leash. So much so, his failure to get back to a SB after 83/84, he was able to survive despite some epic failures in never being able to get back despite having a ALL TIME great at the helm.

I hold Shula in high regard, but he won nothing during my life time. Just abunch of heartbreak and saying"next year". Shula in the 90s was a disappointment.

22. Digital

Digital Starter

Not to undermine the phenomenal work that Bill Belichik has done, but as a head coach he built one team around one player ... Tom Brady. We could argue that he built a defense around Lawrence Taylor, but we would also have to concede that Parcells and the GM accruing all that defensive talent was also a significant part of that stew.

Belichik won one year with the journeymen Matt Cassel .. but Shula won with Scott Mitchell, David Woodley and backups like Earl Morrell and Don Stock making all of those QB'S look pretty good.

I believe Belichik is a great coach. But, I think he really proves that when Brady is long gone and he seamlessly builds the tem around someone else ... without having a losing season.

Let's be honest, he already lost enough in Cleveland. I'm curious how many losing seasons he will have if he reaches 33 seasons as a head coach.

What Shula did is unequaled on many levels.

23. DolfanDuBbZ~

While very true. Shulas failures are also unequaled on many levels. Having a all time great lead your team for many years and coming up short, was sad.

I guess unlike many here, I still hold Shula responsible for his many failures in the 90s. I understand people holding onto things in the 70/80s. But history shouldn't be kind when discussing the 90s.

24. DolfanDuBbZ~

My beliefs were cemented once Elway got his because of a dominant run game.

25. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Point well taken but, not sure Dan would have handed off that much with Jim Brown at RB. lol Sammie "Sucks" Smith was a #9 pick in in 89, and think he was worse than Ginn.

26. DolfanDuBbZ~

To this day, for me, its a bitter pill to swallow.

As my Chief fan friends say...Phin fans who actually seen their team win a SB are dying off or have one foot in the grave.

And their fanbase is even older when discussing SBs.

27. Digital

Digital Starter

I think you mischaracterized the 90s by calling them failures. Failure comes with a losing record. We know, because post Shula we have had our share.

Yes we had an all time great in Marino, but this isn't the NBA ... one guy isn't enough. Look at the horrible drafts we had during the 90's. IMHO, the great coach Don Shula made chicken salad out of chicken .... stuff.

Give me an all pro team and give Belichik the Jaguars and I'll probably beat him ... but I'm not a better coach than him.

You said it yourself ... Elway won when he had a running game. Marino retired earlier because of injuries.

Things might have been different if Miami had a good GM like they had in earlier decades ... but even without that vital lifeblood Shula managed to win a lot of games.

28. DolfanDuBbZ~

So his run in the mid 80s of going .500 were acceptable? Or losing to BUF in the 90s?

My point is this... Shula had his run. But it ended sooner than most are willing to admit.

Imo, Shula struggled to keep up with the NFL in the second half of his career or the later third of his career.

Its just some will hold him up to such high praise, without acknowledging his failures during his career. I'm sure he would look back at his time with Marino and think he didn't finish the job. As a fan, I loved the winning when it happened. But Shula had alot of sub par teams despite having a loyal fan base and some great players.

It took a new coach with a new philosophy to get Elway his. Maybe that was missing in the early 90s?

29. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

There are certain degrees of failure. Don Shula unable to win a title with Dan Marino at the helm for over a decade is a failure and a giant one at that in my opinion. He's the only guy in top 5 of passing yards and touchdowns that doesn't have a ring. Sure some of the blame belongs to Marino, but Don Shula was all but guaranteed optimal QB performance for over a decade and got no titles out of it. By common day standards he would of been relieved of his position well before the drought got to a decade.

30. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Fans and the Miami media ran Shula out and they got much worse results for their trouble. Shula the coach was fine Shula the GM was lacking that being said if he had Ireland or someone close he may have coached a little longer, thats how bad the GM was back then,