Don't understand why so many people are wanting a TE? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Don't understand why so many people are wanting a TE?

If people don't realize we have lost 2-4 games per year over the past 5 years because of a lack of redzone production then they should just stop watching football because there is no helping them.

Gronk is an athletic freak but Eifert isn't? You're delusional.
Combine results:
Eifert
40 time - 4.65
Bench - 22 reps
Vertical leap - 35.5"
Broad jump - 9'11"
Shuttle - 4.32
Cones - 6.92

Gronkowski
40 time - 4.68
Bench - 23 reps
Vertical leap - 33.5"
Broad jump - 9'11"
Shuttle - 4.47
Cones - 7.18

You can't say Eifert doesn't deserve the pick because of his athleticism, that's completely idiotic. Just because he doesn't run a 4.3 like Vernon Davis doesn't mean he can't be a great TE...

No where did you see me say I don't think he's gonna be a great TE....12 is just too high for me. I don't really care how the guys test, Eifert obviously isn't a poor athlete and is a pretty impressive one but Gronk also did all of that 15 pounds heavier and after being out all year with an injury. He also went in the second round. I peg him in the early 20s and a trade with the Vikings is where I'd like to see us land him. I don't look at Eifert as the seam buster that Graham and Gronk are, but I still like him in the early 20s.

I have him in a trade down going to us at #23, so it's not like I don't like him.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Todd McShay has Eifert going 6 overall to the Browns in his most recent mock. I dont see that happening but I dont think Eifert gets past 17. Getting him at 12 is reaching for him based on prior drafts but theres going to be a team out there that won't mind taking him early because he brings a unique skill set to the offense. It'll be justified if he can turn into a 75+ reception per year TE.

McShay's being crazy. We're his ceiling but if he gets by the Giants and we were to trade down with Minny he's my pick at #23.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elite tight ends are the guys like Graham and Gronk. Athletic freaks who make plays in the red zone and beat you down the seam. Eifert is a backend first round guy, the one guy I see who has the traits of a Gronk is Vance McDonald, he's got that extra gear, but his hands are ****. He's the guy I would roll the dice on in round 2 if we did.
So if you could have Gronk oor grahm you wouldnt use a first on them?But your willing to take a crapshoot Watch Eiferts tape and you will be soldin 2nd on a lesser guy with**** hands?

So if you could have Gronk oor grahm you wouldnt use a first on them?But your willing to take a crapshoot Watch Eiferts tape and you will be soldin 2nd on a lesser guy with**** hands?

I would obviously take one of those guys in the first, I was smashing my head against the wall when we passed on Graham. And I do watch the tape, I think the other 2 had more upside coming out and they went in the 2nd. That's why pegging him as a low 20 prospect his hardly pushing it. I mentioned McDonald because on the move he reminds me of Gronk. In the case we stick at our pick I'd draft a pass rusher and maybe go TE in the second, part of the reason I don't like Eifert at 12 is because I don't think we need a TE as bad as we need guys who are gonna help us in the passing game (namely pass rushers). So ya I'd bypass Eifert, mostly based on the fact it's going to be hard to grab a solid rusher in the second round where there's less depth. With all that said if we can't move down and we don't take a pass rusher and Tavon's off the board I would have no issue if Eifert were the pick.

It's not so much that I have any issues with Eifert, just like the depth at the position too.

Last edited by a moderator:
We need to shore up the OL and CB positions first and foremost. We have Dustin Keller and Charles Clay. We do not have a very good OL and it would be a shame if Ryan T was running for his life instead of having time to find Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Bess, Keller or Clay. That's SIX offensive skill receivers not including Matthews who I thought was fairly decent in his time last year. Only skill guy I take is Austin because he can score every single time he touches the ball. Other than that, I take 2 OL's and 2 CB's with our first 4 picks.

1- we lack a red zone threat and Eifert will be stellar in that regard

2- with the ousting of Mastrud and Fasano and the procuring of Keller it is abundantly clear what kind of tight end Philbin wants

3- the league rules are made for stud TE's....of which we have none

4- Eifert is pound for pound in many peoples estimations the best skill position player in this draft.

We'll get Albert for our 2b and draft Eiffert at 12, book it...

This entire draft is hanging on whether Jon Martin can play left tackle next season and keep Tannehill upright and the run game moving.

If the answer to that is yes, we can draft anybody the hell we want in the first two rounds and pick up a decent right tackle for the ZBS later in the draft. There are several.

If the answer to that is no - then we need to trade for Albert and the above applies OR the draft goes out the window somewhat in terms of a typical year and we have to make some serious moves around the place to snag a good LT.

I think we'll trade for Albert. Not because Martin can't play left (I think he could do it personally) but because this is a tough year to get into the top 5 of the draft and be sure you get a tackle AND with the push we're making we've got to be figuring we'll be drafting lower next season AND there isn't likely to be the same salary cap squeeze next year which will produce decent tackles in FA.

So we take Albert, groom Martin for LT but play him on the right and draft a tackle in the mid rounds.

Then do what the hell we want at the top of the draft.

I dont think we will draft Eifert, because i the phins have more high hopes in our young TE than we do here on finheaven. If Eifert is indeed that talented, I would take him and that would allow us to let Keller go if needed. Eric Winston is still waiting for our draft outcome, so we have options.

I dont think we will draft Eifert, because i the phins have more high hopes in our young TE than we do here on finheaven. If Eifert is indeed that talented, I would take him and that would allow us to let Keller go if needed. Eric Winston is still waiting for our draft outcome, so we have options.

If Egnew is a stud then great! Philbin and Sherman love two TE sets, in an ideal world Egnew and Eifert would both be long term starters.

I remember someone asking Steve Young, more than a few years ago, weather he preferred a pro-bowl WR or a pro-bowl TE. At the time, I was surprised to hear, he preferred the pro-bowl TE, but now I understand why. A pro-bowl TE is probably someone who can both block and receive at a high level. That kind of flexibility would be huge for our offense and Tannehill. If Eifert is that guy, and he is there at #12, I would love to have him even if we are over drafting him a little bit.

Our main problem is not scoring TDs. A 6'6 TE with great hands would fix that quickly.

Back
Top Bottom