Draft Philosophy of current staff | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Philosophy of current staff

PSU Cane

Starter
Super Donator
Reaction score
After the initial excitement from Rounds 2 and 3 wore off, i took a step back trying to understand the logic and master plan for this FO based on the guys picked thus far in 2017 along with those taken last year. Here's what stands out to me - one guy's opinion:

1 - They definitely stick to a "type" of player be it measureables or scheme fit
2 - It appears they are locking into players before the draft, as opposed to teams who wait to see how the board falls (minus Tunsil since the targets we heard were off the board and it was a rare situation. We heard about Barnett/Harris before Day 1 and Tankersley before Day 2. Last year we heard about Howard and others.
3 - They are stacking players at positions or with skillsets similar to others already on roster, seemingly in anticipation of replacing those veterans

Harris - future replacement to Wake? seemingly part-time player until then bc of run deficiencies
McMillan - potential starter at Sam or Mike but similar player/replacement for Timmons.
Tankersely - future replacement for Maxwell? depth player and special teamer until then

Tunsil - replacement for Albert (although easily BPA and elite talent who wasn't expected to fall)
Howard - need position, seemed like at time of draft it was to be the #2 CB but ultimate replacement for Maxwell as Lippett was also in mix for future PT
Drake - change of pace guy who fits the scheme, has a distinct role but also replacement for Miller's speed and insurance for Ajayi knees. However, only part-time player in the role he fits.
Carroo - not a need, insurance for Stills free agency situation and/or Parker injury history.

So here is my questions and concern.....feel free to chime in with you stance or view of the current direction-
Are we going to get better as a team with this philosophy? Are we a playoff team trying to get better to challenge this year? Or are we reloading for the future and not best utilizing the prime careers for Wake, Suh, Jones, etc by drafting complimentary players to fill deficiencies on the current roster, such as a slot CB with boundary potential, ball-hawking center-field S, run-stuffing DT, 3 down DE, starting OG and thinking outside the box a little with how we handle our pick allocation?

To me, this philosophy works when you're already on top and looking to maintain and manage contracts/depth/flexibility. But i'm concerned it won't for us in our current situation. I like to fall somewhere inbetween.....elite talent Round 1 regardless of position (within reason) but then looking for starters after and ways to improve the team now.....then boom/bust or riskier guys late hoping to hit on someone special since many later rounders don't make rosters anyway. Ajayi fit that mold with the medical talk, Lippett fit that mold with the position switch.

The value of guys like Witherspoon, Elflein, Feeney, Wormley, Willis, etc in the 3rd was tremendous.....i would have loved to have more ammo and flexibility. Same with some guys still on the board in Round 4.

After the initial excitement from Rounds 2 and 3 wore off, i took a step back trying to understand the logic and master plan for this FO based on the guys picked thus far in 2017 along with those taken last year. Here's what stands out to me - one guy's opinion:

1 - They definitely stick to a "type" of player be it measureables or scheme fit
2 - It appears they are locking into players before the draft, as opposed to teams who wait to see how the board falls (minus Tunsil since the targets we heard were off the board and it was a rare situation. We heard about Barnett/Harris before Day 1 and Tankersley before Day 2. Last year we heard about Howard and others.
3 - They are stacking players at positions or with skillsets similar to others already on roster, seemingly in anticipation of replacing those veterans

Harris - future replacement to Wake? seemingly part-time player until then bc of run deficiencies
McMillan - potential starter at Sam or Mike but similar player/replacement for Timmons.
Tankersely - future replacement for Maxwell? depth player and special teamer until then

Tunsil - replacement for Albert (although easily BPA and elite talent who wasn't expected to fall)
Howard - need position, seemed like at time of draft it was to be the #2 CB but ultimate replacement for Maxwell as Lippett was also in mix for future PT
Drake - change of pace guy who fits the scheme, has a distinct role but also replacement for Miller's speed and insurance for Ajayi knees. However, only part-time player in the role he fits.
Carroo - not a need, insurance for Stills free agency situation and/or Parker injury history.

So here is my questions and concern.....feel free to chime in with you stance or view of the current direction-
Are we going to get better as a team with this philosophy? Are we a playoff team trying to get better to challenge this year? Or are we reloading for the future and not best utilizing the prime careers for Wake, Suh, Jones, etc by drafting complimentary players to fill deficiencies on the current roster, such as a slot CB with boundary potential, ball-hawking center-field S, run-stuffing DT, 3 down DE, starting OG and thinking outside the box a little with how we handle our pick allocation?

To me, this philosophy works when you're already on top and looking to maintain and manage contracts/depth/flexibility. But i'm concerned it won't for us in our current situation. I like to fall somewhere inbetween.....elite talent Round 1 regardless of position (within reason) but then looking for starters after and ways to improve the team now.....then boom/bust or riskier guys late hoping to hit on someone special since many later rounders don't make rosters anyway. Ajayi fit that mold with the medical talk, Lippett fit that mold with the position switch.

The value of guys like Witherspoon, Elflein, Feeney, Wormley, Willis, etc in the 3rd was tremendous.....i would have loved to have more ammo and flexibility. Same with some guys still on the board in Round 4.

2016 & 2017 free agency and the 2016 draft is a large part of why we're here PRAYING for someone to slide to us in the 5th damn round...

I don't trust "In Gase We Trust".

Any other particular reason you don't trust Gase? Clearly he is a players coach and has a great football mind.

Well, it definitely provides much needed depth. Which is just as important as your starters in this league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also looking for guys from the SEC and/or from high level D1 schools vs looking for best players from lower tier schools. They seem to be looking for alpha type personalities and guys who love football as well.

Here's what I see... they addresses most needs in FA as not to have to rely on a rookie to come in and be the starter right away. That's a good thing. The guys we picked can contribute in year one but don't have the pressure of having to be the starter right now.
Harris will play every 1st 2nd 3rd and long.. McMillan may earn a starting job and at the very least will give Timmons who is 32 years old some much needed relief on early downs.

Tankersly will probably be better than Bobby McCain early so he'll play a to.

I'd add that we are taking guys that have good work ethics, seem to have football smarts, and are teachable. The Pats don't win with big names. They win playing smart, team oriented football. Also I think a lack of depth has been one of our biggest problems the last several years. In stacking our roster that will be much less of a liability.

Last edited by a moderator:
2016 & 2017 free agency and the 2016 draft is a large part of why we're here PRAYING for someone to slide to us in the 5th damn round...

Solid draft so far. No need for prayers.

In Gase I trust over posters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our draft philosophy is good as long as Mike T. is incapacitated during the draft process. Do not allow this guy in the draft room.

I'd add that we are taking guys that have good work ethics, seem to have football smarts, and are teachable. The Pats don't win with big names. They win playing smart, team oriented football. ALso I think a lack of has been one of our biggest problems the last several years. In stacking our roster that will be much less of a liability.
I think this is exactly what they choose. They went with football production but ALSO rather than football measurables they decided to put a heavy value on character and work ethic.

I don't know much about Tank but Harris and McMillan are definitely soft spoken "leaders by example". You don't see expletive-laced speeches on national TV like Takk from these two.

I think Suh falls into this category as well. As a leader by doing but doesn't get into his teammates faces.

But I think the football team on the field could use a few more vocal leaders. The perfect example of that in this draft was Jamal Adams. He's the one leading them through the warm-up or the huddle. We need people like that.

Landry is more of an example like that vs Tannehill. Not sure who our vocal leader on defense is. The best candidates for that would be Wake, Suh or Jones who are our best defensive players but I don't know if any of them really step it up in the vocal, get in your teammates face, kind of way.

We can always bring Coach Philbin back? Give Coach Gase a chance to succeed.

I think your philosophy is flawed because it is based on your analysis of players we drafted and have not drafted. You don't know what type of player Harris may turn out to be. You don't know if he or anyone else is elite....You are using unknowns to support your argument.

Also looking for guys from the SEC and/or from high level D1 schools vs looking for best players from lower tier schools. They seem to be looking for alpha type personalities and guys who love football as well.

This is what I have been saying forever...Stick with the big time schools, get a locker room of alpha's. Hindsight 20/20 and we don't know how any of these guys will pan out, but I am loving this draft.

Dude here is blaming the roster moves of the front office on Gase? Holy f'n ****ty troll batman! The guy only took a roster that was deficient to start that suffered injuries to arguably 2 of its best players as well as others to the playoffs. Take that ignorant **** to another forum.

I think this is exactly what they choose. They went with football production but ALSO rather than football measurables they decided to put a heavy value on character and work ethic.

I don't know much about Tank but Harris and McMillan are definitely soft spoken "leaders by example". You don't see expletive-laced speeches on national TV like Takk from these two.

I think Suh falls into this category as well. As a leader by doing but doesn't get into his teammates faces.

But I think the football team on the field could use a few more vocal leaders. The perfect example of that in this draft was Jamal Adams. He's the one leading them through the warm-up or the huddle. We need people like that.

Landry is more of an example like that vs Tannehill. Not sure who our vocal leader on defense is. The best candidates for that would be Wake, Suh or Jones who are our best defensive players but I don't know if any of them really step it up in the vocal, get in your teammates face, kind of way.

mcmillan yeah most likely, you can tell by his demeanor when he makes plays, doesn't celebrate much, harris def not that guy took a ton of plays off in just one game tape i saw that was posted of him in another thread. I think they just go after their guys regardless, thats their motto.

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Dude here is blaming the roster moves of the front office on Gase? Holy f'n ****ty troll batman! The guy only took a roster that was deficient to start that suffered injuries to arguably 2 of its best players as well as others to the playoffs. Take that ignorant **** to another forum.

everybody here claims gase is part of the drafting process, gotta get the blame if u get the credit too.

Back
Top Bottom