Draft Prediction:offense,offense,offense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Prediction:offense,offense,offense

PROUDMONKEY

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Determining what the Dolphins may do this weekend in the 2007 NFL Draft and how these new players will impact our team over the next 3 to 5 seasons is a crapshoot and therefore, my guess about what will occur this weekend is just as valid as any other NFL expert I will assume. My angle at tackling what positions we will draft takes an obvious approach although this common sense theory seems to not be a popular one among what the mighty analyst are saying as far as I can tell.

Many analyst including the great Mel Kiper are forecasting our round 1 pick will be DT
Amboi Okoye. Others are saying OT Levi Brown. Brown certainly makes sense to me more than DT in this first round. Some say Brown is a reach at the nine hole, I say it is not a reach if we need an OT and Brown is the second best and still available on the board and both QBs are not on the board any longer. Personally I don’t think it will matter because both Brown and Okoye will be gone by the time our turn on the clock. Yes our defensive line is the oldest starting in the entire NFL, but at least we can say we have our starting defensive line already sealed up on the roster, whereas we can not say we have a true left OT already on the roster. This leads me to my common sense theory.

The first aspect of the upcoming draft I look at is what holes did the 2006 roster have on it and what can we do to improve our weaknesses from a year ago? The second thing to look at is which starters and players have we lost during free agency and what have we done to replace the players lost? We downgraded our starting TE by bringing in David Martin although I am sure Cameron likes to be rid of McMichaels off the field issues. We have gutted the backup RB position by saying goodbye to Sammy Morris, Darian Barnes, and Travis Minor. To me you have to count Wes Welker 3 times, as a #3 WR, Punt Returner, and Kickoff returner. We have lost 5 offensive linemen counting McMichael. Here is the entire list.

Ex Dolphins lost this offseason

Bennie Anderson, OL; Darian Barnes, RB (NYJ); David Bowens, DE (NYJ); Kevin Carter, DE (TB); Joey Harrington, QB (ATL); Jeno James, G; Eric Kimble, WR; Olindo Mare, K (NO); Damion McIntosh, T (KC); Seth McKinney, OL (CLE); Randy McMichael, TE (STL); Travis Minor, RB (STL); Sammy Morris, RB (NE); Wes Welker, WR (NE)

What has Cam done this off-season to offset these lost Players?

First of all, I’m glad Cam has let 5 of our offensive linemen and 3 RBs leave the squad. They were mostly below average players and we need to clean house. Cam has done almost nothing this off-season to backfill the 11 offensive roster spots lost during free agency. He signed a backup OTMike Rosenthal, and signed 35 year old FB Cory Schlesinger who is on the down slope of a decent career. So in conclusion, Cam has done almost nothing to improve upon or replace the 11 offensive players lost during the off-season.

So what does this mean and how does it impact the draft.

Cam is an offensive minded coach, and we have lost 11 roster spots this off-season on the offensive side of the ball. Cam has done little to replace these players in free agency so far. Our offense has poor red zone effectiveness, no quality QB in a decade, poor RB depth, and a horrible offensive line. Cam will spend the majority of our draft picks on offensive line and offensive skill positions. Cam likes to incorporate a RB by committee approach, and if he takes a RB somewhere in the first 6 picks, then perhaps this means Cam is thinking Ricky Williams has a very short life expectancy in Miami. On defense, look For Cam to go LB, DE, DT, and CB in four of the picks, but the other 6 picks will be offense.

I still think of that Fielder come from behind win versus Oakland the first game after the tragic day of 9/11 as one of he more exciting games I have witnessed in some time.
I never thought I would say this, but I think Jay Fielder has been our best starting QB since Marino retired in 2000. Heres to hoping that I won’t be able to say that much longer.

Nice post...

There are ALWAYS quality players who end up being casualties and Cam has done a terrific job of not over spending. #9 is a nice position to be in and trading down is the only sensible move. Miami needs to play the numbers game. Increase the number of players drafted in this relatively deep draft so we increase the odds of landing longterm, inexpensive help for our squad. Forget CJ, forget Adrian Peterson...

I actually like Patrick Willis as our #9 pick. We can wait on a QB until round 2. Pick up a couple of speedy wide recievers 3 offensive lineman. 2 in the defensive backfield a running back and defensive lineman. Shop the league for a couple of players that unexpectedly hit the market and pick up a forunate undrafted FA and see what happens.

Fans on this draft board who think it is wise to trade up baffle me. Especially with the state of our team now. Teams that win in todays NFL build through the draft - San Diego, Philedelphia, the Colts, the Ravens...They have good GMs and they draft cheap good talent.

By the way...
Fiedler had a gutsy run on the final offensive play of that game.

I see guys around this site blame Fiedler - Don't blame the guy - he was and always will be a back-up. Nothing wrong with being a career backup! Hell just getting on a roster is a phenomenal accomplishment. The fact that we had a coach who had a head full of cement was the problem. What the guy could not do the obvious and simple thing and get us say Trent Green at age 27 - he couldn't draft a guy or 2 or 5 or 9 and let them compete?

great post and agree with everything,,love the house cleaning,,,lets have some fun on saturday boys.

Great post, and i even (ahem) agree with the portion about Fiedler.

Well perhaps we can grab a few defensive players hopefully if they grade out as BAA. Ideally balance would be ideal but a team draft is dynamic and accountable by the picks before yours. Mock drafts are fun but mostly pipe dreams because of that. :) See ya on Sat!

I agree with the post. I think the focus has to be on rebuilding the offense. There is some young talent in place on defense, along with our older guys, and last year they were solid.

Our offense was absolutely abysmal. I honestly think if CC wasn't getting paid so much money, Cam would have cut him as well. It seems like he wants to get rid of Daunte too (judging by the Trent Green theories). He dumped McMike and those lackluster RBs because, they weren't needed. David Martin, maybe he'll turn out to be a good find, definitely not the ego that McMike seemed to have developed. I think they have to do something to get a playmaker in the first round. I don't think the 4 best offensive players (Quinn, Peterson, Johnson, Thomas) would fall to 9, so I think they need to bump up to 2, 3, 4, or even 6 to get someone like this. I'm sure the asking price would be high, but as long as we don't tip our cap before on who we're going to get (which no one is doing this year), then it won't be too bad. Swap 1's, give them a 3-4-5, and a player. Pull it off, and make a move. The team needs a recharge, and the Draft is the perfect chance to do it.

i agree with your post but i want to do it now. Can we please for the love of god stop bashing jay fielder. He may not have been the strongest arm or the most mobile but for years fielder did one thing for this team win football games.Was he the second coming of marino no did he keep the ship afloat for a few years yes. So stop the hating and give the man his due he played his heart out for this franchise every sunday and i wish him and his family only the best in years to come

nice post, i listened to cams radio interview the other day and believe we will see the direction of our offense start to clear up with this draft....go randy/cam

Back
Top Bottom