Draft Prospects | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Prospects

70. Phillip Thomas SS Fresno St. 6'1" 210
PLAYERS TO WATCH: S Phillip Thomas, a finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award that went to Mississippi State's Johnthan Bank, tallied eight interceptions, which tops the nation. That number is also the most achieved by a Fresno State player in 27 years.He returned three interceptions for touchdowns, had nine total takeaways, forced four fumbles and led Fresno State with 82 tackles, including 12 for loss. He will face a quarterback in SMU's Garrett Gilbert who has thrown for almost more interceptions (13) than touchdowns (14). Thomas is the 10th player from Fresno State to be selected as a defensive player of the year, the most recent Chris Carter in 2010.

2012 AP ALL-AMERICAN FIRST TEAM: Safety - Phillip Thomas, senior, 6-1, 215, Fresno State...Thomas led the nation in interceptions this season with eight, which set a new Mountain West single-season record and was the most by a Bulldog in 27 years. He also tied for the national lead with nine total take-aways, three interceptions returned for touchdowns and tied for seventh nationally with four forced fumbles. - Fresno State football
[video=youtube;2rNtHJjGX3U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rNtHJjGX3U[/video]
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=72093&draftyear=2013&genpos=FS

Last edited by a moderator:
71. D.J. Swearinger South Carolina 5'11" 210
FS D.J. Swearinger has not only proven to be the heart and soul of the South Carolina defense, but is the squad's most versatile performer. He played a key part in the Game****s' pass defense against two of the most proficient passing attacks in the country Clemson and Arkansas. He played some cornerback in both games. He played press man against both team's top receivers for part of each game, including Tigers standout Sammy Watkins. When he moved back to free safety, his task was to guard against deep passes.
2012 ALL-SEC SECOND TEAM (COACHES): DB - D.J. Swearinger, South Carolina, has been selected Second Team All-Southeastern Conference (Coaches selection) for the 2012 college football season.
[video=youtube;PSlOXa1_Zc0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSlOXa1_Zc0[/video]
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=91031&draftyear=2013&genpos=FS

72. Ryan Nassib QB Syracuse 6'2" 223
Overview
Only two quarterbacks from Syracuse have been drafted since 1945, but with a consistent senior season, Nassib will be the third (and first since Donovan McNabb in 1999). Entering his third year as the starting quarterback for the Orange offense, he will contend for most of the school's career passing records in 2012.
Nassib flew under the radar as a two-star high school recruit out of Pennsylvania, redshirting in 2008 and serving as the back-up behind Ex-basketball player Greg Paulus in 2009. He inherited the starting quarterback duties in 2010 as a sophomore, throwing for 2,334 yards, 19 touchdowns and eight interceptions.
Nassib had his best season last year as a junior, finishing with 2,685 passing yards, 62.4 completion percentage and a TD-INT ratio of 22-9.
Analysis
Nassib has good-enough arm strength to make throws at all levels of the field with the mechanics and beautiful ball fakes that scouts love to see. Nassib tends to make poor reads under pressure and force throws, but is a smart player and does a nice job using his eyes to hold defenders and work through his progressions. He isn't a statue in the pocket and is very accurate throwing on the run, flashing impressive toughness for the position. Nassib is a gamer with a live arm and the potential to rise up draft boards with a consistent senior year, ranking as one of the more underrated players for the 2013 NFL Draft.

[video=youtube;WhgDOOq3hDY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhgDOOq3hDY[/video]
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630528/ryan-nassib

73. D.J. Harper RB Boise St. 5'9" 205
Strengths
Speed back who hits the jets when in the open field. When he presses the line, shows quick feet to cut into space and then quickly accelerate. Has some thickness to his frame, not a slight runner like many fast backs. Runs with good lean inside, ends up falling forward and can get through arm tackles. Flashes balance to keep running after a spin move in the open field. Willing to lower shoulder into defensive back to finish runs instead of stepping out of bounds. Shows good hands in limited chances as a receiver, threat to leave behind linebackers on wheel routes and make moves to free himself of coverage in the flat or over the middle. Plays some Wildcat QB in the red zone.
Weaknesses Tore left ACL twice, must check out medically. Generally a perimeter runner, lacks the power as an interior force. Keeps the ball in his inside hand at times instead of switching it away traffic. Not always as decisive as you’d like finding his hole behind the line, also loses his balance trying to make moves in the open field at times instead of taking what he can get. Can slow down blitzers with cut blocks (and does the same on lead blocks when needed) but doesn’t stand up to rushers often enough in pass pro, lacks anchor when he does.
NFL Comparison Cedric Peerman
Bottom Line
Harper played well in his first two years with the Broncos, but then tore his left ACL in the third game of both the 2009 and 2010 seasons. Even in a reserve role behind 2012 first-round pick Doug Martin as a junior, Harper had career-best numbers (557 rushing yards, nine TD) while showing coaches, teammates and NFL scouts he still possesses an open-field burst and more toughness than expected for a supposed “speed back.” Adequate Combine medical exams, allow teams to take a chance on his potential despite his knee issues. [video=youtube;ItPbhloob_A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ItPbhloob_A[/video]

74. Markus Wheaton WR Oregon St. 6'0" 182
While Wheaton isn’t one of the big name WR in the 2013 NFL Draft, he is one of the biggest play-makers. He has outstanding speed and uses it to stretch the field vertically. He has shown a very good ability to track the ball and make adjustments while it’s in the air. The Beavers tried to get the ball into Wheaton’s hands as much as possible, using him on sweeps, reverses and screens. I see a similar type usage in the NFL.Wheaton does need to get stronger and clean up his route running, especially at the top of his routes. He has natural speed that is tough to find and the ability to separate from the defender. In terms of draft stock I think it’s likely that Wheaton is a day two pick based on his speed and predictability. He has developed nicely while at Oregon State, exhibiting improvement each year, at the very least he will provide a team with a vertical threat with reliable hands at the next level.
[video=youtube;IEfNoK4BsVs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEfNoK4BsVs[/video]
http://www.chatsports.com/new-england-patriots/a/Markus-Wheaton-Scouting-Report-2-7198883#

75. D.J. Fluker OT Alabama 6'6" 335
STRENGTHS: Powerful run blocker. Fluker's combination of size and power make him a formidable prospect who should only get better. For a drive-blocking, power-based scheme, Fluker ranks as one of the top right tackle prospects in the country.
WEAKNESSES: At his size, Fluker is strictly a right tackle or perhaps even a guard prospect as he hasn't demonstrated the agility or balance necessary to handle NFL speed rushers on a consistent basis. Even as a run blocker -- his specialty -- Fluker has a tendency to drop his head and stop his feet as he makes contact, resulting in some of his more talented opponents being able to disengage.
COMPARES TO: James Carpenter, Seahawks -- Due to his massive size and upside, Fluker will often earn comparisons to former Alabama standout Andre Smith, who the Cincinnati Bengals made the No. 6 overall pick of the 2009 draft. In reality, a fairer comparison is to former teammate Carpenter, who also earned a first-round selection (No. 25) in 2011 by the Seattle Seahawks.
[video=youtube;M6eoZdR-ZTQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6eoZdR-ZTQ[/video]
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664143/dj-fluker

76. Justin Pugh OT Syracuse 6'5" 298
Strengths: Pretty good size, with room to add bulk. Very athletic and quick. Has a great kick slide and is fast enough to mirror speed rushers. Also shows true strength and establishes a good base to handle the bull rush. Upper body strength is truly impressive. He is solid is pass protection. Does a good job at extending his arms to keep defenders off him. He shows good awareness when dealing with the blitz. Shows very impressive power when run blocking but is very inconsistent throughout games. Shows textbook football I.Q. when double-teaming linemen; he helps out the guard then peels off to the second level. Plays with a mean streak. Has a terrific motor. Has a lot of potential.

Weaknesses: Overall consistency needs major improvement. I saw a lot of film I really liked on Pugh, but there was a lot I did not like. He has immense potential but he is not consistent in both run and pass blocking. He is a better pass blocker in my opinion, but there were still times I saw him get beat bad. His run blocking was where I saw he needed the most improvement. He does not consistently get low, does not stay on his man, does not keep his shoulders square, does not drive his opponents and often over-pursues his blocks. This shows a lack of focus and fundamentals; both of which can be improved. His run blocking worked in college, but this will not work in the NFL. I would like to see him be more aggressive. Overall he is a little raw, needs to develop more into a better prospect. Had shoulder surgery last August.
Summary: Justin Pugh kind of surprised me by declaring for the NFL draft this year. I don’t think it was necessarily a bad decision, but with his head coach leaving I can understand it. I noticed Pugh when I first started watching film on Ryan Nassib. Pugh stood out to me as a solid pass blocker who looked like he had potential to be a really solid player in the NFL. So I began watching more and more tape on him and I saw a lot of stuff I really liked. First off, he’s a solid pass protector with a great punch, excellent ability to mirror defenders, quick feet and powerful hands. He also can be very dominant when he wants to be. There were times where he simply took his man completely out of the play. Pugh really impressed me in these areas. I saw a lot of things I did not like though; mainly his run blocking consistency, which is not close to where it needs to be. He did a good job opening holes in college but his techniques will not work in the NFL. Don’t get me wrong, he has the ability to be a great run blocker, but he lacks the focus and fundamentals that will be needed in the NFL (getting low, driving opponents ect..). Pugh is a strong guy, and he relied on that when blocking at Syracuse; well in the NFL the guys are bigger and stronger and Pugh will need to get back to the basics and improve his techniques because strength alone will not cut it. In short, Justin Pugh has areas where he needs to improve (like all prospects) but he also has a high ceiling and potential to be great. I think teams will see that and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go somewhere around the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] round.
Draft Projection: 3[SUP]rd [/SUP]– 4[SUP]th[/SUP] round[video=youtube;r__FoiR8EdY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r__FoiR8EdY[/video]
http://thefootballexpert.com/nfl-draft-scouting-reports/justin-pugh-ot-syracuse/

77. Earl Watford OG James Madison 6'4" 290
Technique: This is what sets Watford ahead of other players in the FCS. Watford has gone from an athletic player with decent technique, to more of a technician as his collegiate career. He uses his hands well and stays low in his base. During either a running play or pass play you can tell that Watford doesn’t stray from the things that make him good. By staying low and using proper technique, Watford has been able to handle some of the best pass rushers in the FCS and hold his own against FBS opponents. Anchor for Watford is good and usually isn’t forced from the area he wants to be in. He works hard to keep opponents a comfortable level away, but will let opponent come into him, forcing him to rely on athletic ability to save the play.

Pass Protection: Pass Protection has always been solid for Watford due to his sound technique, but at times he has been known to be overwhelmed by bigger, stronger pass rushers. Uses a solid base and frame and doesn’t overextend no matter who the opponent is. Needs to improve his hand placement . You can see his hands not properly placed, which leads to overextension of his arms and his opponent beating him. Needs to also work on footwork to an extent; is good and effective, but at the same time gets sloppy because has very good athletic ability allows him to get away with a technique mistake.
Run Blocking: Run blocking is the area where Watford truly excels. Numerous times watching Watford the past two years, he routinely gets 10 + yards down the field finishing blocks and putting defenders on the turf. Great job of pulling and has been a guy who the Dukes will tend to run behind in key situations.
Intangibles: Watford is one of those guys who you want on a team, someone who will talk his smack but also “fire up” his teammates to do something. During the EKU playoff game, Watford was knocked out of the game briefly and looked like he would miss time, instead he missed one play threw his helmet back on and ran back onto the field. He exudes confidence in his play and a determined worker.
Overall: Watford is a guy I’ve enjoyed watching the last 2 years. He is a leader who will find himself a home in the NFL more than likely in a ZBS scheme. Seems to be a great fit for the Zone scheme, because he has plus technique and does many things well. That really seems to be the MO of a ZBS OL and what Watford fits best. Right now has a 4th to 6th round grade for me, but easily one who could move up draft boards with the senior season many are predicting from him.

No meaningful tape available
http://nfldraftmonsters.com/scouting/scouting-report-earl-watford/

78. Khaled Holmes C Southern California 6'4" 305
Skill-Set Summary: There is a lot for NFL teams to like about Holmes. He is a perfect candidate to protect the pocket for a signal-caller in the passing-driven NFL. Holmes' mobility and pass-protection skills are exactly what the NFL is looking for. He can move quickly to get in position to pick up blitzers but also has the skills to fire out of stance and double-team defensive tackles with guards.
Holmes has nice awareness to pick up pass-rushers. It would be helpful if he added more strength and power to his base for the next level. That would help him anchor against zero-technique defensive tackles who line up directly over the center. With some of the heavy and powerful 3-4 nose tackles in the NFL, Holmes ability to stonewall their bull-rushes could be challenged. The redshirt senior should have the height to add some extra bulk to handle the big tackles.
Holmes is quick to the next level of the defense as a run-blocker. He hits blocks on linebackers to help spring his backs for more yardage. Holmes also combo-blocks well with his guards. In the NFL, he would be best as a zone-blocker who can use his speed and athleticism. If Holmes is drafted into a power scheme, he definitely should fill out his frame with another 10-15 pounds.
Centers are a critical position in the NFL for interior pass-protection. Holmes looks like a future NFL starter, and teams that are heavy on passing the ball will like what they see with from the Trojans center.
2013 Draft Expectations: Holmes looks like a second-round pick entering his senior season. He hasn't really been dominant enough to push for late first-round consideration. If Holmes is inconsistent in 2012, he could slide into the mid-rounds. [video=youtube;JV2TpVSkuBU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV2TpVSkuBU[/video]
http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013kholmes.php

79. Datone Jones DE UCLA 6'5" 278
Strengths:
Prototype size. Has the frame to add weight, strength. Strong hands to separate from blockers. Can collapse the pocket with a powerful bull rush. Good read and react ability vs. the run. Has the strength to stack plays at the point of attack. Good quickness and agility for a big man. Solid effort for four quarters.
Weaknesses:
Needs to be more consistent as a playmaker. Has to improve pass rush moves. More of a power type than finesse. Needs to be more effective fighting the down block in the run game. Has to protect his legs better in traffic. Plays high at times.
Summary:
Lines up as a base DE in a 4-3 defensive front. This is a big man with outstanding size and functional strength. He is a little raw in all phases but is a physical player on the line of scrimmage and he plays with very good effort. Can make plays in the run game due to natural power and strength. He will need to improve his pass rush technique on the edge. Mainly just a one move type right now as he is still learning. Very good upside due to his frame and innate toughness. He comes to play and had one of his better games last week vs. Cal with 6 tackles and 2 sacks. He is only a junior and seems to be improving each week. This kid is a very good player with a bright future in front of him.[video=youtube;O8IB-0TktD8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8IB-0TktD8[/video]
http://pac-12.com/schools/ucla/arti...outing-report-uclas-datone-jones/default.aspx

80. Sylvester Williams DT North Carolina 6'3" 305
University of North Carolina defensive tackle Sylvester Williams has overcome adversity to become one of the premiere talents in the nation. After bouncing in and out of high school, Williams found his way in junior college before making a name for himself with the Tar Heels. Williams is an well-built prospect that does well to gain penetration into the backfield. Technique is a bit inconsistent, yet he moves very well laterally and can take away running lanes. Not a huge player that can consistently handle double teams. At his best in one-on-one situations where he can rip, swim, and adjust his feet to make a play on the ball.
Can get a bit reckless, frustrated, and out of control in his pursuit when trying to gain ground. Tries to stay on assignment but sometimes gets caught pushing into the backfield when he needs to protect his lane. Williams has a good motor but stamina is a concern late in games. He will need to learn how to bring consistent effort from start to finish.
Williams currently projects as a early second round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft with the potential to move up into the first. [video=youtube;tRAchTitGx4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRAchTitGx4[/video]
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=3077

81. Sean Porter OLB TXAMU 6'1" 231
Overview
Starring as a pass rushing outside linebacker/defensive end hybrid for the Aggies, Von Miller earned the Butkus Award and wound up being the No. 2 overall pick of the 2011 NFL draft by the Denver Broncos. Demonstrating similar athleticism and fluidity, Porter has been characterized by some as the next Miller.
The fact that he led the Big 12 with 9.5 sacks and was third in the conference with 17 tackles for loss at outside linebacker for the Aggies last season would seem to provide ample evidence that this comparison holds true. In reality, Porter isn't the natural pass rusher than Miller is (few are), though he certainly remains a highly regarded prospect by NFL teams.
Porter signed with Texas A&M as a relatively lightly recruited prospect but quickly made his impact on the Aggies, starting two games and recording 43 tackles and four tackles for loss in 2009. As a full-time starter in 2010, Porter flashed the ability to rack up tackles that would earn him all-conference honors a year later, recording 73 tackles, including seven tackles for loss and six pass breakups.

Analysis
Rather than attacking offensive tackles on his way to the quarterback like his former teammate, Porter is at his best in pursuit of ballcarriers on the flanks and operating in coverage. He reads the action quickly and can slice through gaps, beating offensive linemen to the action to rack up plays near the line of scrimmage consistently.
He's fluid and fast enough that he's often asked to line up over the slot and handle quick coverage responsibilities; traits that could earn him a spot as a weakside linebacker in a predominantly 4-3 aligned team in the NFL.
Scouts would like to see him play with greater physicality as he too often relies on his athleticism to beat blockers to the action rather than taking them on physically. His speed and flexibility allow him to slip under pass blockers and get to the quarterback but too often once he's locked up, he is unable to separate.
His great speed and experience in coverage, however, could make him one of the better pass defending linebackers in the 2013 draft which likely will translate into a top 50 selection.
[video=youtube;4JLACHpteMI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JLACHpteMI[/video]
www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1665010

82. A.J. Klein ILB Iowa St. 6'2" 245
Scouting Report:
Athleticism:
+Adequate bulk to take on guards.
+Solid strength profile through his lower body.
+Upper body strength shows ability to shed blocks and take down ball carriers.
+Flexible around the edge, good balance.
-Not a quick-twitch athlete, struggles changing directions at time.
-Lacks elite top-end speed.
-Doesn’t have ideal height, might measure shorter than 6’2″ at combine.

Leadership/Intelligence:
+Plays with fire and intensity, loves football.
+Able to respectfully challenge coaches and communicate ideas.
+Unquestioned team leader and three year starter.
+Has played multiple linebacker positions, does what is asked.
+Diagnoses plays quickly, rarely takes a false step.
Run Support:
+Disciplined in his run fits, very consistent player.
+Rarely mis-reads the play, very few false steps.
+Fights his way through the trash, aware of pulls/crack blocks.
+Effective and productive tackler – consistently wraps up in traffic.
+Fantastic effort in pursuit, both down and across the field.
+Preternatural instincts, knows where the play is going.
+Able to take on and shed blocks from linemen.
+Takes good angles to the ball carrier in pursuit.
-Could use his hands better to disengage.
-Some consistency issues tackling in space, will occasionally fail to break down.
Blitz:
+Effective on blitzes, able to sidestep blocks and create pressure.
+Has rushed from the inside, outside, and on stunts.
+Works the “Green Dog” blitz very well, recognizing that his man is staying in and getting pressure on the QB.
-Not asked to blitz a lot, has had only a handful of sacks in his career.
Coverage:
+Excels in zone coverage, tracks the quarterback’s eyes well.
+Gets good depth on his drops, stays true to his assignment.
+Got his hands on a lot of passes over the last two seasons – three interception returns for TD.
+Pattern reading defense, doesn’t just drop to a spot.
-Inconsistent in his technique jamming receivers / TE off the line.
-Lacks elite change of direction skills for man coverage.
-Has struggled preventing completions when covering tight ends and slot receivers in man.
Overall:
Klein is an intense competitor on the football field and is the type of player that every NFL head coach would want on his team. He is a leader on and off the field and has a work ethic that is infectious.
On the field, Klein makes up for his less than elite athleticism with impeccable instincts. He plays within the defense, but is dead set on making every tackle of the game.
He shouldn’t have to come off the field in the NFL if a team wants to play zone, although he may struggle playing man at the next level. His skill-set translates well to special teams as well, so he could be that rare 4-down linebacker that the NFL covets.
Look for Klein to be a fringe Top 100 pick in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Not he best tape-He is #47

[video=youtube;5oYctiUT_FU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oYctiUT_FU[/video]
http://www.chatsports.com/new-england-patriots/a/AJ-Klein-Scouting-Report-2-7143632#

83. David Amerson CB NCSU 6'2" 194
Overview

Amerson was a high school safety, and that background as a physical defender was constantly on display during his time at N.C. State.
A top 50 recruit out of Greensboro, he saw playing time immediately as a true freshman cornerback in 2010, starting nine games.
He returned as a starter at cornerback in 2011 and earned All-American honors for his outstanding sophomore performance. He set a new ACC and NC State record with 13 interceptions, becoming just the second player with double-digit interceptions in a single season since 2004 (Rahim Moore - 10), falling just shy of the FBS-record of 14.
With four multi-INT games and a pair of defensive scores, Amerson won the Jack Tatum Award (nation's top defensive back) and was a finalist for the Thorpe Award.
He entered 2012 with extremely high expectations, but appeared to suffer a drop in confidence after getting beat for multiple big plays. Amerson still garnered second-team All-ACC recognition from the conference coaches and media after finishing with five interceptions, including his third career return for a score.
Amerson, who ranks behind just Alabama's Dee Milliner and Florida State's Xavier Rhodes on NFLDraftScout.com's list of the top junior cornerbacks, may have the statistics and size to earn first-round buzz, but he is far from a sure thing to earn a spot among the top 32 picks in 2013.

Analysis
STRENGTHS: Amerson has rare height and length for the position and actually played primarily at safety in high school. He has the size and ballskills for the next level, but scouts are also impressed with his competitive drive to get better, showing vast improvement between his freshman and sophomore seasons. And the coaching staff says there is no problem keeping Amerson hungry, as he is one of the top practice players each week. Could prove a fit in a press-based scheme. Highly aggressive defender who intercepted many of his passes reading the eyes of quarterbacks and jumping short routes.

WEAKNESSES: Concerns about his fluidity and straight-line speed. Typically lined up in off-man and zone coverage in college, but his lack of elite speed would make that a difficult fit in the NFL. Aggression makes him vulnerable to double-moves. Amerson was beaten soundly in several-highly anticipated matchups in 2012, which contributed to losses to Tennessee and Clemson.

[video=youtube;GN3QokFVyNM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN3QokFVyNM[/video]
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737246

84. Jordan Kovacs SS Michigan 6'0" 195
JordanKovacs-1.jpg

This week I am breaking down Michigan safety Jordan Kovacs as I believe he is one of the more over-rated players in the Big Ten Conference. While it is vital for NFL safeties to possess good athleticism to be productive in pass coverage, the importance of football smarts and instincts cannot be over-looked as they often allow less talented safeties to out-perform more physically gifted players. This is an area where Kovacs definitely is head and shoulders above most college safeties. Consistently getting the other members of the secondary lined up correctly, reading the quarterback and seeing the pass play develop in front of him all help him to read and react with surprising quickness to passes in front of him. Reading the play quickly and correctly is one thing, but if you do not make a play on the ball then those instincts are wasted. Kovacs’ natural ball skills show up in his ability to consistently cut in front of receiver/tight-end to break-up or intercept the pass.
Being productive on passes in front of you is good, but as safeties have become more involved in all aspects of coverage, they must excel helping the cornerbacks with “over the top coverage” and covering slot receivers and tight ends in man coverage. In terms of “over the top coverage,” Kovacs does a good job of reading the quarterback and can get out to the sideline to make plays on the ball and can handle his responsibilities as part of a bracket coverage on a receiver. However, Kovacs’ lack of athleticism shows up when he has to try and cover in man coverage. His pedal is not quick and compact and his hips are not loose, which leads to him losing a step when he has to flip hips to turn and run with man in coverage. Once he loses a step in coverage he lacks the burst to catch up. If the receiver/tight end crosses his face during route he losses a step changing directions and trying to stay in good coverage position. In the NFL Kovacs’ coverage issues would likely lead to him being exposed by offenses that spread the field out and force the safeties to have more coverage responsibilities.
Even though the big, physical box safety is virtually useless in today’s pass first NFL, a safety who excels in run support while still doing a good job in coverage is extremely valuable. Kovacs consistently reads and reacts to the run quickly and usually comes up the field fast and aggressively in run support. The trouble is that while he can make sure wrap-up tackles, he is not nearly consistent enough doing so. Instead of staying over feet and driving up into the ball carrier, he either waits for ball carrier to get to him and becomes a catch tackler or stops feet and dives/lunges to try and make tackles, which leads to him missing more tackles than are acceptable. The aggressive mentality that Kovacs plays with and his football instincts should enable him to be a productive coverage man on special teams, which would help him win battle for a roster spot.
In spite of Kovacs being portrayed in the media as a likely high draft pick, we believe he is more likely to be a fifth to seventh round selection. I have heard numerous people compare him to longtime NFL standout Jim Leonhard who went undrafted out of Wisconsin, but became a very good starting safety. The difference between the two is that Leonhard was a tremendous college football player with natural athleticism who only slid in the draft because he was short and thin framed. Whereas, Kovacs lacks the foot agility, flexibility and speed to be as effective in pass coverage as Leonhard has been. If Kovacs is going to have a long NFL career, I believe he will need to excel on special teams to carve out a role as a backup safety and special teams player, similar to former Notre Dame safety Tom Zbikowski.
[video=youtube;pwp0mAbgpRc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwp0mAbgpRc&noredirect=1[/video]
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Overrated-Prospect-Michigans-Jordan-Kovacs.html

Back
Top Bottom