Draft Strategy following early free Agency | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Strategy following early free Agency

I wouldn't be surprised if Robert Jones ends up being one of the guard starters.
I'm not predicting it as a certainty, but it wouldn't surprise me. There never seems to be much drop off when he subs in, so I think he gets a shot to claim a spot.
He's the poster child for developmental oline: then resign for a nice price medium term at a position where a team shouldn't overspend.

It’s WR and IOL for me, preferably a tackle who can play guard in year 1. Plan ahead for Armstead’s replacement.

I’d be pissed with a CB or Edge high (don’t like the class), but fine with Byron Murphy II or Newton especially in a trade down.

Meh class for Edge, DT, and CB. Depth at CB is interesting, though.

Awesome class for OL and WR.
I agree, I've read people saying a great year for DL and I'm not seeing it. T'vondre Sweat might be of interest to us if we are looking for a LARGE man in the middle.

Otherwise, while there are a couple guys that might make an impact early, too many of these guys are undersized if we are actually wanting some beef at IDL.

Is there anyone at EDGE even worth considering at 21?

I certainly like the slight trade down scenario where we still get a nice pick of OL or two early on.

As I see it, we still need a Right Guard, Robert Jones does not have it as a full time starter. He just doesn't have the athleticism for this offense, no offense to him. Since we don't seem to get anything out of the back end of the draft I say spend early. The OL is so important to our style of offense. Solidify the OL and the run game improves which helps the passing game. Last year before Wynn went down we ran the ball and not just at the edges. Fix that and I'm happy, and I think Mcd and Tua are too.

Trading back a bit is good if possible.

I would still target the offensive line in R1 and R2 assuming there are good candidates available at each pick. If we are going to sign Tua to a big deal we need to ensure that investment is protected.

The line played decent last year but decent can be made better which would help every other skill player on offense.
Looking at the offensive line right now, I agree. At least one of those first two picks ( 21, 55) almost has to go offensive line.

Fortunately, the talent in the draft matches that need. Hunt could be replaced by Jones, if need be. But you downgrade in pass protection.

I really like the Brewer signing, but again his scouting report indicates he's a downgrade in pass protection from Williams. Maybe he can still take his game to another level, though?

Left guard? Maybe Wynn is resigned? Left tackle? Getting a long-term replacement for Armstead makes sense.

All that said, this would be a good draft by claytonduper.

I would be very content if they went tackle first and then guard/center second. It wouldn't be a wow draft but could help the offense overall for the next four or five years.

I would be very content if they went tackle first and then guard/center second. It wouldn't be a wow draft but could help the offense overall for the next four or five years.
If Miami can get someone like Arik Armstead, then I think offensive line with the first two picks would really help this team.

Right now, I see a glaring need at defensive tackle.

No idea what Armstead would be asking salary wise. He's good when healthy, but is injured a lot. The DT'S Miami has signed so far are depth only IMO.

Meh class for Edge, DT, and CB. Depth at CB is interesting, though.

Awesome class for OL and WR.
What do you think of that Latu kid from UCLA at edge at 21? I’d prefer a tackle or even WR, but what do you think of him?

If Miami can get someone like Arik Armstead, then I think offensive line with the first two picks would really help this team.

Right now, I see a glaring need at defensive tackle.

No idea what Armstead would be asking salary wise. He's good when healthy, but is injured a lot. The DT'S Miami has signed so far are depth only IMO.
Ah! Sketchy injury history. Grier has proven he likes that kind of party.

I wouldn't be surprised if Robert Jones ends up being one of the guard starters.
I'm not predicting it as a certainty, but it wouldn't surprise me. There never seems to be much drop off when he subs in, so I think he gets a shot to claim a spot.
He's the poster child for developmental oline: then resign for a nice price medium term at a position where a team shouldn't overspend.
Agree. I think he showed well, especially in run blocking. I think he has a chance.

I am still of the belief that we have a lot of spots to fill. Strategic trade downs could net us a couple of more picks. Wish my college grades were this good:

View attachment 163540

To state the obvious, FA isn't over. I think there is broad agreement on the top 4-5 needs and expect those positions to be draft targets depending on FA adds. My inclination is trade down if the opportunity is there, but every year there are 1-2 'top' players who drop so who knows. The draft strategy is triage and, for now I see that as at least one OL in the 1st 2 picks

why did we lose in the playoffs? because our whole interior OL were injured and we couldn't move the ball. draft all OL & make sure the person picking the line knows how to draft serious OL talent period. IF @ 21 powers is there you draft that kid & move the center we signed to guard. Draft young OL studs every pick and let this offense eat.
Kenny Powers?

Back
Top Bottom