Draft Winds - Ryan Mallett Special | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Draft Winds - Ryan Mallett Special

Thanks for both a great piece of UNIQUE information and true reporting.

You mentioned his back-up Tyler Wilson. Is he staying at Arkansas this year? He had the best 15+ minutes of a college QB this year when he came off the bench against Auburn. I think he threw four TDs in less then two quarters before misfiring.

Passing on Mallett would be one of the dumbest moves this franchise could make, worse then passing on M.Ryan because there we atleast got one of the top 2/3 LT's in the NFL.

I think it would be a lot smarter for us to try to move up to Dallas's 9th pick then wait for him to fall to 15. Mallett could sit for the year and take over in 2012 while we get the run game fixed!

This is going to be so exciting if he is still on the clock and Minnesota passes on him then it's a real good shot he will still be there at 15. Somebody could trade up but I think most of the teams that need a QB are higher in the draft. I am going to be crushed if the Vikings or somebody before selects him. The next problem will be if the Dolphins have a shot and pass on him, that would really be depressing.

April 28 can not get here soon enough!

Yeah I tend to agree that all this sentiment about trading down to get the guy is dicey. As I said, one way or another I feel like Arizona could up and decide that they've got to make him theirs, be it in a trade down or possibly even at #5. I think teams are playing things real close to the vest with Mallett and obviously interest is super high. This didn't make the article but Torrey Smith put out a statement saying that 3 out of the last 4 teams he's talked to all asked about Ryan Mallett. Torrey worked out with him in pre-Draft I think. But that shows you how desperate teams are to get behind his eyes and be comfortable that he's not a Ryan Leaf. Eventually, those desires tend to win.

With the Mallett being publicly identified as one of 8 players in the mix for the #1 overall pick, why would people think it such a big stretch for him to end up going in the top 8? Makes perfect sense to me. When was the last time you heard the team picking at #1 overall publicly stating that a guy that will go in the 2nd round is one of a handful of players they're considering at #1 overall? That doesn't happen. They consider premium players and the Carolina Panthers are saying he's a premium player.

If Miami wants him, they have to hope the Cardinals decide they're getting Kevin Kolb, and you'd have to hope Rick Spielman passes on him.

what about injury concerns with mallet...i've seen him take a ton of hits where i didn;'t think he'd get back up not because i didn't think he was tough but because his legs and lower body were always in such odd positions...the kind of things that blow out knees etc

it's probably just that i'm more concerned given his height and length that he's gonna have a hard time protecting his gumby like limbs...not that its anything i wouldn't take him over...

Gotta admit that Mallett can seem a bit "lanky", but the important thing is that he has the frame to fill it out.

Teams will work on that from day 1. I am not saying that he will be Barry Bonds 2.0, but he is young and 235lbs. After a year in the weight room, trust me, he will add (at least) another 10lbs. He will be 245+, bank on that.

CK & Boomer, this has the potential to keep me up at night....Mallett is just the QB I would like to see us roll the dice on. So, I will ask you to indulge me and make the most ridiculous of all predictions. Assuming that neither of you have sold your souls (hopefully) to the Devil (a.k.a Tom Brady) for the ability to accurately predict the future, and assuming that neither of you are really "Miss Cleo" with a crystal ball, give me your best prediction:

Chances that Mallett will be there at #15: _____ %
Chances that, "if there", Fins will grab him at #15: _____ %

Being a dyslexic atheist insomniac, I already stay up at night wondering if there really is a "DOG". I need my sleep.

Indulge me with your shot in the dark prediction.

cleodbts-1.jpg

i don't know if its in the mallet info you guys did or not cause so far i've only read the off field stuff cause i wanted to see if you guys had any real dirt but christian ponder had a really high red zone td to int rate i wanna say 16 to 1 or something like that on your ponder breakdown do we know what mallets red zone td to int rate has been the last 2 years at arkansas and in the bar none toughest conference in college football???

cause we need to score tds in the red zone and chad henne can't do it...the o goes stale when the field condenses under henne

I don't have that info on hand. I can look for it. It's not going to be as clean as Ponder's ratio though. Just off hand I can think of one INT he threw in the end zone against Bama.

Gotta admit that Mallett can seem a bit "lanky", but the important thing is that he has the frame to fill it out.

Teams will work on that from day 1. I am not saying that he will be Barry Bonds 2.0, but he is young and 235lbs. After a year in the weight room, trust me, he will add (at least) another 10lbs. He will be 245+, bank on that.

CK & Boomer, this has the potential to keep me up at night....Mallett is just the QB I would like to see us roll the dice on. So, I will ask you to indulge me and make the most ridiculous of all predictions. Assuming that neither of you have sold your souls (hopefully) to the Devil (a.k.a Tom Brady) for the ability to accurately predict the future, and assuming that neither of you are really "Miss Cleo" with a crystal ball, give me your best prediction:

Chances that Mallett will be there at #15: _____ %
Chances that, "if there", Fins will grab him at #15: _____ %

Being a dyslexic atheist insomniac, I already stay up at night wondering if there really is a "DOG". I need my sleep.

Indulge me with your shot in the dark prediction.

cleodbts-1.jpg

Chances that he'll be there I would say are close to 50/50. Just have to make sure the Cardinals and Vikings don't jump up and take him.

Chamces that Miami will take him, that's where I'm bound to disappoint a little. Love Mallett though I do and have for a long time, I still haven't seen anything that's led me to believe they're off this mobility kick. Christian Ponder is still more likely.

i don't know if its in the mallet info you guys did or not cause so far i've only read the off field stuff cause i wanted to see if you guys had any real dirt but christian ponder had a really high red zone td to int rate i wanna say 16 to 1 or something like that on your ponder breakdown do we know what mallets red zone td to int rate has been the last 2 years at arkansas and in the bar none toughest conference in college football???

cause we need to score tds in the red zone and chad henne can't do it...the o goes stale when the field condenses under henne

Actually, in the redzone Mallett was 29 of 47 for 273 yards with 17 TD's and 3 INT's and 2 sacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chances that he'll be there I would say are close to 50/50. Just have to make sure the Cardinals and Vikings don't jump up and take him.

Chamces that Miami will take him, that's where I'm bound to disappoint a little. Love Mallett though I do and have for a long time, I still haven't seen anything that's led me to believe they're off this mobility kick. Christian Ponder is still more likely.

this seems a bit odd to me...don't you recall me asking right after the ohio st bowl game and he had thrown the int against the dropping dlineman to seal the loss that would you take him at #15 and you said outright that he wasn't worth the pick??? you gave me a flat no when i said yes i would take him

i guess your study has changed your mind???

i'm thinking there's some typos there...

He's correct despite the typo... Mallett completed 59.6% of his passes, with 17 TD's and 3 INT's for a 202.81 QB rating inside the redzone...

Hell, his first year starting in the SEC he completed 61.7% of his passes, with 14 TD's and 0 INT's for a 205.39 QB rating inside the redzone...

He did throw a bad pick in the redzone against Bama though as CK pointed out..

He's correct despite the typo... Mallett completed 59.6% of his passes, with 17 TD's and 3 INT's for a 202.81 QB rating inside the redzone...

Hell, his first year starting in the SEC he completed 61.7% of his passes, with 14 TD's and 0 INT's for a 205.39 QB rating inside the redzone...

He did throw a bad pick in the redzone against Bama though as CK pointed out..

ok thanks con and slimm...that's good stuff

Back
Top Bottom