Drake’s conundrum | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drake’s conundrum

IMO, most of the responsibility for this to happen is about equally divided between OL play and the defense more than any of the skill players on offense.

Not sure I agree, Last year this offense was next to last "31st" in total first downs
27th in time of possession...defense wasn't responsible for that

The Saints lead the NFL in plays on offense with 1105, and Miami was last in the NFL 912. There are a Few factors that go in to that but the most important is 3rd down %. Big surprise the Saints were best in the NFL on 3rd down converting 49%, and Miami was 25th with 37%. The point is the answer how to get JT, Drake, and Parker more snaps is to convert on 3rd down. The Saints has 193 more snaps, the Pats had about 150 more. If we can get on that level JT could easily catch 60-70 balls, and Parker could match Jarvis in the 90s, assuming those players are ready to step up.
Agreed. And I mentioned that as one of the two sources of those plays, but thanks for the statistical backup Dajesus!

I must admit ... I do kinda miss the two klinking beer mugs emote.

Let me start by saying, "I really hope I'm wrong".

The more options we have in the passing game, the more we need a QB that can quickly scan the defense pre-snap (and during motion) and the more we need him to see the whole field. Ryan seems to do his best when he locks on to a player early in his progression. I pretty much never see him decide on his first progression, intentionally look away, and then come back to him.

Maybe the line hasn't afforded him the time? That isn't hard to buy. He has been beat up enough to warrant taking the first open pass he sees. Still, I wonder if it is in his skill set to "look off" a safety. Some QB's have their head on a swivel and can quickly pivot, plant, and throw. He seems to pick a player, plant, and wait for the exact right second to throw. It can work and made guys like Hartline/Bess look good.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a good QB. There are times where the stat sheet says he spreads the ball around. But it feels more like each play is called for a different guy. It never feels (to me) like he is picking the defense apart by always finding the open man. He never seems to click with TE's (okay maybe Clay some) and just about every throw to a RB is something you see coming the second the ball is snapped. And for God's sake, when will we learn how to run a screen play? Me thinks he needs to get much better at the art of deception.

Again, I don't put all of this on him. The OL has stunk. Been a bunch of different OC's/systems/coaches. Many of them seeemed to lack confidence in him and his ability to audible (maybe for good reasons though?). Gase will cut those strings and give him the reins. I'm convinced this aspect of his game is key to how far this team can go. It could take a couple/few years to develop. Besides, we need a couple more drafts to get some OG's, LB'ers, DT's, and TE's.....and time for Brady to retire:) He is to hoping at that time we are a solid playoff contender instead of looking for a franchise QB.

Not sure I agree, Last year this offense was next to last "31st" in total first downs
27th in time of possession...defense wasn't responsible for that
I know that we could go in circle on this discussion about time of possession being the offense's problem vs. the defense's problem. I would say that there is some of both and that's why I put it on the OL and the defense. Certainly running the ball helps with TOP and that's on the OL for the most part. On the other hand, there were games like Jacksonville where the offense couldn't get on the field because of the long drives by the opposition.

Let me start by saying, "I really hope I'm wrong".

The more options we have in the passing game, the more we need a QB that can quickly scan the defense pre-snap (and during motion) and the more we need him to see the whole field. Ryan seems to do his best when he locks on to a player early in his progression. I pretty much never see him decide on his first progression, intentionally look away, and then come back to him.

Maybe the line hasn't afforded him the time? That isn't hard to buy. He has been beat up enough to warrant taking the first open pass he sees. Still, I wonder if it is in his skill set to "look off" a safety. Some QB's have their head on a swivel and can quickly pivot, plant, and throw. He seems to pick a player, plant, and wait for the exact right second to throw. It can work and made guys like Hartline/Bess look good.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a good QB. There are times where the stat sheet says he spreads the ball around. But it feels more like each play is called for a different guy. It never feels (to me) like he is picking the defense apart by always finding the open man. He never seems to click with TE's (okay maybe Clay some) and just about every throw to a RB is something you see coming the second the ball is snapped. And for God's sake, when will we learn how to run a screen play? Me thinks he needs to get much better at the art of deception.

Again, I don't put all of this on him. The OL has stunk. Been a bunch of different OC's/systems/coaches. Many of them seeemed to lack confidence in him and his ability to audible (maybe for good reasons though?). Gase will cut those strings and give him the reins. I'm convinced this aspect of his game is key to how far this team can go. It could take a couple/few years to develop. Besides, we need a couple more drafts to get some OG's, LB'ers, DT's, and TE's.....and time for Brady to retire:) He is to hoping at that time we are a solid playoff contender instead of looking for a franchise QB.
You didnt even say Drakes name... nor mention the running game.. why is this here?

Because, IMHO Drake does the team more good catching the ball than running the ball. He only needs to run enough to make a defense respect that threat. But he has the hands and speed to be a dynamic threat as a pass catcher.

Back
Top Bottom