Dumbest Penalty in the NFL? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dumbest Penalty in the NFL?

I think the worse penalty is giving the offense another first down after it has already had the ball first and goal. To many times the referees give the offense a TD when the defense has them stopped with cheap defensive penalty. Penalty should be half the distance and repeat whatever down the penalty occurred on. This prevents giving the offense too many plays at the goal line And the refs from controlling the game so easily.
I hate it too but defenses would just keep tackling the receivers on every play until the game ran out of time lol

Intentional grounding. It's okay to throw the ball away to avoid being sacked, but you must pretend that you were not trying to throw the ball away to avoid being sacked.

Hate grounding, because too often it is not called even when it should be, they need to tighten up, forget throw aways if out of the the pocket, either throw to a teammate or run, but don't let QB just chuck it past LOS and get off Scott free.

Also, something is going to come to a head with QB sliding and unnecessary roughness. Too often I see a QB looking like he will probably slide, then doesn't, so defender is already trying to avoid penalty so not ready to properly tackle. Or if the QB is looking like he's all in, defender has to make a stand and tackle, QB slides and gets hit. Defender can't win sometimes. Defenders are at huge disadvantage with running QBs. Not sure what the answer is, but like I said, I think it we will see more attention on this.

I hate it too but defenses would just keep tackling the receivers on every play until the game ran out of time lol

I've heard that argument before. I don't think it is valid. That defensive strategy would eventually result in the ball being so close to goal that the offense would just run a QB sneak.

I still have never heard a proper explanation of why a lineman can be flagged for "hands to the face" if he just brushes his hand on an opposing lineman's facemask, but a player running with the ball can throw a stiff arm into the face of a defender and that's legal. A lineman touching another lineman's helmet while they're practically standing still has almost zero chance of causing injury, but a player running full speed who throws what could be described as a martial arts palm-strike into the face of a defender could possibly cause a serious neck injury. In a League that is supposedly all about "player safety" this makes no sense. If you're going to allow a stiff arm, then hands to the face should also be legal, as long as you're not grabbing the facemask and pulling.

I hate the down by contact rule, especially since it can't be reviewed. If you gonna have the rule at least make it reviewable.

I kind of get why. If it was just legal to throw it anywhere, there would pretty much very rarely be sacks. You'd just throw it straight into the ground.
The QB's are already over protected as is. If this rule was voided we might as well as be watching the pro bowl.

I dislike the lineman downfield penalty. My recommended change would be to expand it to 10 yards. The second one I hate is the pick. I have a hard time to decipher by the ways the referee's use it what pick is or is not.

Also, something is going to come to a head with QB sliding and unnecessary roughness. Too often I see a QB looking like he will probably slide, then doesn't, so defender is already trying to avoid penalty so not ready to properly tackle. Or if the QB is looking like he's all in, defender has to make a stand and tackle, QB slides and gets hit. Defender can't win sometimes. Defenders are at huge disadvantage with running QBs. Not sure what the answer is, but like I said, I think it we will see more attention on this.
Yeah that's one thing that's always ticked me off as well.

I think the worse penalty is giving the offense another first down after it has already had the ball first and goal. To many times the referees give the offense a TD when the defense has them stopped with cheap defensive penalty. Penalty should be half the distance and repeat whatever down the penalty occurred on. This prevents giving the offense too many plays at the goal line And the refs from controlling the game so easily.
That stupid penalty decided the SB. No way you give a team first and goal after a d penalty on goal to go situation. Should be one extra play and half the distance. Refs determined outcome of game by delivering sure TD late in game.

That stupid penalty decided the SB. No way you give a team first and goal after a d penalty on goal to go situation. Should be one extra play and half the distance. Refs determined outcome of game by delivering sure TD late in game.

That was horrendous, but, not surpriseing.

Why? No way were they going to let a large market team lose.

Back
Top Bottom