Eddie Jackson #4 - Safety - Alabama Crimson Tide | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Eddie Jackson #4 - Safety - Alabama Crimson Tide

BennySwella

We need better LB's
Reaction score
I have been looking at safety prospects for this year and this guy looks like one the best DB's in the draft but no is talking about him. What is the deal? Am I missing something? This guy in the 2nd round or later would seem like a steal to me.

[video=youtube;sDz0mYL_Mg0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDz0mYL_Mg0[/video]

Love Jackson! It's just a deep class, so some Safeties draw less discussion than others. I'd be surprised to see him fall to the 3rd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love Jackson! It's just a deel class, so some Safeties draw less discussion than others. I'd be surprised to see him fall to the 3rd.

Typically, in a good safety class, you get about 8 safeties (FS and SS) taken in the top 3 rounds. In a great year like this, it could be more (or indeed less if the abundance of good players means teams don't rush to fill a need in the early rounds).

Hooker, Adams, Peppers, Baker, Melifonwu, Williams are probably locks for the top 75 picks. Plus King is being looked at as a possible safety or hybrid and you have to now factor in some LB/S hybrids like Peppers who might be factors (Elijah Lee?). To make 8 players, you have Maye, Jackson, Evans, Josh Jones and any one of a few guys who will rise post-combine/workouts to fill that out. Xavier Woods is a contender to do that, imo. In that sense, Jackson in the 3rd isn't that unlikely to me. If he goes higher, it'll be because one of the other guys probably dropped into that range.

He's not a Miami safety, to my eyes. Great reader of the game, quick, takes good angles, but he's doesn't make his presence felt they way you would expect an All-American safety to do. It's patient and efficient, his style, with great nous and good technique, but there's an economy of effort in there that I don't think is what our coaches are looking for. Not wild about his coverage at times either - lets receivers get separation too easily. I think more the Humphrey model of being a missile and a pain in the a$$ is what Gase wants, but in a safety. Budda Baker, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Xavier Woods and others have that mentality of not leaving it for someone else to do if they can reach the play. They take the killshot. I love that. Jackson is a bit too patient for my taste.

Typically, in a good safety class, you get about 8 safeties (FS and SS) taken in the top 3 rounds. In a great year like this, it could be more (or indeed less if the abundance of good players means teams don't rush to fill a need in the early rounds).

Hooker, Adams, Peppers, Baker, Melifonwu, Williams are probably locks for the top 75 picks. Plus King is being looked at as a possible safety or hybrid and you have to now factor in some LB/S hybrids like Peppers who might be factors (Elijah Lee?). To make 8 players, you have Maye, Jackson, Evans, Josh Jones and any one of a few guys who will rise post-combine/workouts to fill that out. Xavier Woods is a contender to do that, imo. In that sense, Jackson in the 3rd isn't that unlikely to me. If he goes higher, it'll be because one of the other guys probably dropped into that range.

He's not a Miami safety, to my eyes. Great reader of the game, quick, takes good angles, but he's doesn't make his presence felt they way you would expect an All-American safety to do. It's patient and efficient, his style, with great nous and good technique, but there's an economy of effort in there that I don't think is what our coaches are looking for. Not wild about his coverage at times either - lets receivers get separation too easily. I think more the Humphrey model of being a missile and a pain in the a$$ is what Gase wants, but in a safety. Budda Baker, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Xavier Woods and others have that mentality of not leaving it for someone else to do if they can reach the play. They take the killshot. I love that. Jackson is a bit too patient for my taste.

I think you're under selling Jackson's ball skills, coverage ability, versatility, and return ability. Jackson has 5 TD's - 3 via INT and two via punt return. On his 10 career INT's, Jackson averaged 30.3 yards per return; on 11 punt returns, he averaged 23 yards per return. By contrast, Baker averaged, 12.4 yards per INT return. Jackson is also one of the only (maybe the only) Safeties in this class who can cover the slot or boundary in M2M on a consistent basis.

He's a converted CB, so it's unsurprising that he's not a thumper, but you don't get many players who have the instincts and play recognition to thrive at FS and the cover skills to play CB.

I'd also throw Nate Gerry and Tedric Thompson into the mix of guys who are talented enough to be drafted before the 3rd. If you're comfortable that Thompson will improve his tackling, everything else looks really good. I like Safeties that deliver big hits, too, but I wouldn't prioritize it over the ability to cover and take away the ball.

I wasn't just referring to big hits, though. He has a penchant for letting plays develop before he makes a play and I think he leaves yards on the field a lot.

By no means do I understate his KR abilities. He's got this great lazy running style that looks languid but he's very agile and deceptively quick. He's a huge threat with those splash play INTs, but for every one of those there are a few dozen snaps where you sense he's in control of the situation and/or his zone without ever seeming to shut it down. I find his coverage spotty - maybe it's recovery speed that let's him feel he can give receivers a few steps separation, but in the pros somebody with equal or better speed will take those steps with gladness and turn them into a big gain.

It's a preference thing and I fully agree he's going in the upper rounds. He'll be a great safety for someone. I just think it's not what we're looking for in our DBs. I might be wrong.

Great insight guys. I did wonder how his coverage skills were on plays where he didnt have a highlight. I did notice he was a ballhawk but not necessarily an enforcer whwn it came to open field tackling.

Jackson definitely gives a team a lot of versatility. He could be looked at by some teams as a corner IMO.

This is just such a deep class. I love Adams and see now that he is being projected top 5. That actually wouldn't surprise me. Peppers is a more difficult evaluation because he's such a terrific athlete, but I think you've got to have a plan for him. That hybrid type, though, could allow Miami to get really creative on defense and match-up better against teams like New England.

Baker is a guy I'd take at #22, although I've seen him mocked mostly in the early second round range. I do wish his ball skills were better, but other than that he is a terrific football player.

I have been looking at safety prospects for this year and this guy looks like one the best DB's in the draft but no is talking about him. What is the deal? Am I missing something? This guy in the 2nd round or later would seem like a steal to me.

Jackson did miss the end of the season with a broken leg. He is running again.

[TWEET]834800019094065152[/TWEET]

Jackson definitely gives a team a lot of versatility. He could be looked at by some teams as a corner IMO.

This is just such a deep class. I love Adams and see now that he is being projected top 5. That actually wouldn't surprise me. Peppers is a more difficult evaluation because he's such a terrific athlete, but I think you've got to have a plan for him. That hybrid type, though, could allow Miami to get really creative on defense and match-up better against teams like New England.

Baker is a guy I'd take at #22, although I've seen him mocked mostly in the early second round range. I do wish his ball skills were better, but other than that he is a terrific football player.

He got moved out of corner for a reason. Much better safety prospect but he could probably fill in the slot like Michael Thomas did in a tight spot, I'd love this pick later in the draft. Good leader and person too

Great insight guys. I did wonder how his coverage skills were on plays where he didnt have a highlight. I did notice he was a ballhawk but not necessarily an enforcer whwn it came to open field tackling.

That's about right but he puts the effort in, he doesn't shy away like some do

So is Michael Thomas a shoe in to be re-signed? It seems like most of us want a safety prospect this draft.

Back
Top Bottom