Edge a Dolphin in 05? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Edge a Dolphin in 05?

He is not an option for this year.It would cost too much in draft picks and compensation.Next year he becomes a FA and the general belief is that he would like to finish his career in Miami.(Oficially he denies this).

This scenario is quite likely as the Colts cannot afford to keep Payton,Harrison and Edge next year.

texasPHINSfan said:
yes but why pay huge for a guy that is half way through his career..... that would be another Wannstedt bandaid move. Go with the draft, groom a new back. (or RB by committee would be nice).
So you believe it's better to groom through the draft and take a gamble (nearly all picks are) than take a proven player?

Not that I disagree, I just want to have your stand clear to me...

CrunchTime said:
He is not an option for this year.It would cost too much in draft picks and compensation.Next year he becomes a FA and the general belief is that he would like to finish his career in Miami.(Oficially he denies this).

This scenario is quite likely as the Colts cannot afford to keep Payton,Harrison and Edge next year.
Does anyone have the cap figures for the '05 Colts?

ColtsFan, does Indy have the cap room to Franchise him considering Peytons contract? I would think that would be a lot of money in that offense.

I don't have the reference at hand that broke down Peyton's contract against the cap, but I remember the numbers to be in the $8 mil range for the next couple of years, then $10M in years 3 and 4. Considering he counted $15M+ against the cap last season, we now have a lot more cap room to work with. I think the sticking point will be cash for signing bonuses. Irsay has to shell out $34.5M in cash for Peyton's signing bonus in two installments, and Marvin will get a nice signing bonus.

We'll see how it works out, but I'm not optimistic. Polian has made the right calls in the past (excluding perhaps first round pick for Rob Morris), including trading Marshall Faulk, drafting James v Williams, and drafting Manning v Leaf, so I'm not about to question our FO and Dungy. They know a lot more about football than I ever will! Their philosophy is to build through the draft, keep our own if possible (but don't overpay to do so), and scour the undrafted ranks to find gems in the rough. Our cap is concentrated in the offense (kind of a reverse Miami situation), so we have to have low priced talent to fill out the team.

Again, good luck with your season.

Back
Top Bottom