Emerging Needs | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Emerging Needs

Depth on defense will become a priority, and I would say DT being first, LB next. That is next years pandoras box, this year we have addressed a lot of issues. Time will tell if the decisions were correct. here is to hoping they were the right ones (Feely, James, Boston, Carey, FS position, Poole and howard).

gunn34 said:
Let's not forget Seau. He has plenty of MLB experience. We could slide him in MLB and place moore in at LB.
I think we need DT depth. Those guys are getting "old". Even our backup is "old" Zgonina.

Good point on Seau. You are probably right. Seau backs up MLB and Moore to OLB in the event of injury to Zach.

DT & LB depth. Knowing no more than I presently do, we may need to look at FS as well. I don't really know anything about that Antuan Edwards guy.

Zach does not have 7-8 years in the league left. thats crazy. What linebacker plays for like 15-16 years.

phunwin said:
I agree, I think DT depth is a potential issue. Or more accurately, getting some youth in there.
As for LT, we're probably okay. There's enough guys in camp that someone should emerge as a decent backup. Probably Tony Pape. If McIntosh comes back healthy, we're in great shape.
#3 WR - I'd like to add a speedster; I'm not sold on Snoop Minnis being the answer, and I'm sure not sold on Derrius Thompson. Maybe Sam Simmons or JR Tolver can do something.
KR/PR - Sam Simmons, Terrence Wilkins, Fred Russell...someone decent is bound to emerge from this group.
FS - we're fine. Freeman or Edwards should do the job well.
MLB - I'd feel better about an experienced backup here too. I'm guessing they're counting on Moore, Bua or Jenkins to be a 4th LB, filling in at all three spots.

So, the way I see it, these are our remaining needs:
LB depth, esp. MLB - (I'd really like them to get someone that could allow us to play a little 3-4 and give the offense a different look now and then, though our D obviously is poorly suited for that on a regular basis)
#3 WR
DT depth

We do run a 3-4 from time to time.... or is it a 3-3-6 I can't remember. We call it the Tiger formation, and it calls for JT to drop back from his DE position and become an extra LB.

phinphanphrommi said:
We do run a 3-4 from time to time.... or is it a 3-3-6 I can't remember. We call it the Tiger formation, and it calls for JT to drop back from his DE position and become an extra LB.

It's probably not a 3-3-6. By my math, that would place 12 men on the field. A good defense if you can get away with it, though. :lol:

Seriously though, thanks for the info. I had never noticed JT dropping back to OLB, but then I'm usually drunk and angry when watching the Phins on TV.

zach is a gammer , i can still see zach playing 5 more years.. then mayb splitting time with some1.. we all know zach is a monster and will play till he cant anymore! he loves the game like seau does, speaking of some1 who has played a while. but what do i know , im just a fin fan! lol

I have to believe Thompson had an off year. New eviroment, new team, new system, new teamates etc. I think he we excel at the 3rd WR. He has the one mulligan I give to each player in their first year.

I'm fine with what we have at #3 and #4 WR's.
LT-When Mack gets back and with St.Claire we should be ok, not to mention that we also have Carey now who could move ever if needed.
MLB-This is an area we need to take care of. I think Bua will get his weight back up but only to play OLB and never MLB imo so we need someone here.
KR-PR-We have at least 4 guys that can take care of this.
I agree with that guy that said that DT will be high on the list for next year's draft.

Ozzy rules!!

Den54 said:
DW said to keep an eye out for FS Yeamiah Bell. This guy is going to be a gamer I think.

I would keep an eye on him.He is the wild card at FS.

Originally Posted by Surferosa
Jorser I think we hjave a few guys that can play LT in the pinch- St Clair, Jerman, Pape, D-Mac (when healthy). I dont think the FO will sign a "pure" LT at the expense of a roster spot of one of the high celing guys that thety just drafted. JMO

Jorser said:
Surfer.......maybe not a pure LT but someone who can play LT. OK, here is a scenario for you. It is game #2 of reg season. McIntosh is on PUP, St. Clair is your starting RG. Pape has been converted full time to a guard due to his lack of athleticism (this is the book on him, good prospect, but does not have the ability to slide in pas pro.........very important esp for LT). And Jerman has been converted to a full time RG, and backs up there. They have also stated this, that they want Jerman to focus on guard and they are making him a guard. PS - he also does not have the lateral slide to very a good LT. Who plays LT when Wade Smith is injured in this game?

From another post. You guys are missing my point. I should have titled the thread "Current needs" instead of "Emerging needs" as that implies next year.

See my post above re LT. You guys keep making reference to players that are either injured or will not play LT.

Aside From All That,i Think That The Dolphins Can Maybe Get A Potential Starting Saftey,even Though He Was A Strong Safety At Um,im Saying Mo Sikes,i Mean He Was Good And Can Become A Gr8 Player,i Dont Think Hes On Anyones Roster,and Since Were Battling For A Starting Fs,i Think He Can Win It,i Mean Hes A Nasty Hitter,he Has A Good Eye For The Ball,he Was A Good Player,i Dont Even Know Why He Didnt Get Drafted??

Any Thoughts?

Jimmy James said:
This is a bit of a departure from your premise, but I'm going to strongly suggest this team needs to find a way to draft a DT on the first day of next year's draft. This goes double if we do end up releasing one of our veterans at that position for cap reasons or if one of them gets hurt...

If Eddie Moore doesnt come around to replace Seau next year I think OLB becomes our greatest need. Word is Eddie may not be doing well at all.

We drafted two linebackers this year, and we may be able to get somebody decent to replace Seau in free agency for a decent price. My perception is that DL isn't nearly that easy to fix. That's why I emphasize DL over LB.

I could honestly see both first day picks next year being used on D to take care of both needs, though.

Back
Top Bottom