ESPN says Philbin and Coyle are some of best offseason additions | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN says Philbin and Coyle are some of best offseason additions

BlueUndertow

Active Roster
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? :lol: "Best offseason acquisitions for all 32 NFL teams" by BSPN Indianapolis Colts
Offensive line coach Joe Philbin The line problems for the Colts are well-documented. Philbin, despite his problems as coach of the Dolphins, has experience coaching the offensive line. He coached the position while with the Green Bay Packers. Philbin is taking over a unit in Indianapolis that gave up 118 quarterback hits last season and could have three new starters up front. -- Mike Wells
Cincinnati Bengals
Three defensive coaches Much of this offseason has been about what the Bengals have lost. They've had several notable departures at receiver, safety, on the coaching staff and in the scouting department. But of the additions they did make, the most important have to be the coaching hires. The additions of assistants Kevin Coyle (DBs), Jim Haslett (LBs) and Jacob Burney (DL) should give the Bengals' defense the old-school discipline the unit didn't show at times late last season. Each of them has a slightly different coaching style than some of the men they are replacing. Costly and untimely defensive penalties contributed to the Bengals' wild-card playoff loss to Pittsburgh last season. On the field, newly signed linebacker Karlos Dansby should have a big impact. -- Coley Harvey
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page...e-agency-coaches-general-managers-draft-picks

I like how they don't mention Miami's OL problems at all. Colts hopefully drafted grade-A linemen or they're in for a nightmare

In their defense, some coaches are great when they "stay in their lane" and don't get too much responsibility. Another name on that list above, Jim Haslett, is the poster child for this. Wade Phillips is another that comes to mind.

That said, I can't honestly think of the last time I've read anything on ESPN. It seems like all of the talent they've had has left and been replaced with the "James Walker"s of the world. Their online presence, in particular, has gone downhill in a major way since the departure of the incredibly talented and forward-thinking exec John Papanek.

I have a feeling the brand is going to go through a major revamp in the coming 5 years. It has to. There are too many superior places for information out there (with many of the leagues themselves pouring money into their own distribution platforms, like NFL Network) and ESPN hemorrhaging money for parent company Disney. Here's one of a bajillion articles if you are so interested: http://deadspin.com/espns-uncertain-future-is-already-here-1753901086).

From what I've heard, it's also a very difficult place to work. I've heard the phrase "old school" in a not-positive way thrown around as far as misogyny, yelling, good-brother promotions, and low salaries for most employees are pervasive.

Hopefully this is the down period for a once-interesting and progressive channel. It needs to take its cues from Comedy Central and hit the reset button.

Perhaps Philbin is a good OL coach. If so, his genius never helped the Dolphins though. Same goes for Coyle. Yes, players need to be held accountable too. But if anything this just shows Indy's offseason has been real slow if Philbin is their best addition.

Are you kidding me? :lol: "Best offseason acquisitions for all 32 NFL teams" by BSPN Indianapolis Colts Cincinnati Bengals http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page...e-agency-coaches-general-managers-draft-picks
Philbin thing one; He thought Thomas was a very good OG. Philbin thing two; He was famous (infamous?) for saying the OL had to 'clean some things up.' Never happened. This, from an OL coach. Discussion over. Coyle? Have no data on his ability as DB coach, although he apparently like J Taylor over anyone's grandmother.

Philbin is qualified to be a banquet coordinator. NOTHING MORE!

And I'm talking about some remote Holiday Inn in rural Nebraska or perhaps South Dakota.

Philbin is qualified to be a banquet coordinator. NOTHING MORE!

And I'm talking about some remote Holiday Inn in rural Nebraska or perhaps South Dakota.

That's rich coming from a message board poster.

Kevin Coyle was a good defensive backs coach before he became our defensive coordinator. He will probably be a good defensive backs coach again.

But as for the other one? When Tony Sparano was fired, I figured he'd go be a good offensive line or TE coach somewhere, and that's pretty much what happened after that one disaster year as OC of the Jets.

When Joe Philbin was fired, I figured he'd go be a good PowerPoint proofreader somewhere. I'm sure that's pretty much what will happen after a disaster year as OL coach of the Colts.

Figure%201%20-%20Peter%20Principle.jpg

Both these guys were in over their heads. By dint of the league's egalitarian collective judgement, each has now reached their respective competency comfort level, at least presumably, considering Coyle has been effectively demoted 1 level down and Philbin 2 levels.

To be fair people have already annointed Joseph as a good addition when he has never im his 16 years ever been a defensive coordinator

Back
Top Bottom