Etienne | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Etienne

Needing one does not make it any smarter to overdraft one.

In fact, some might call that reaching for need.

And RB is probably the worst position on the field to reach for.

Look around the league. Find the teams that have in your opinion good RB situations. Now tll me how they acquired those players.

It won't be with first round picks.

I normally agree with this stance unless the RB has the ability to be a 1000 yard receiver. In those cases I have no issue with taking a RB late in round 1.

I normally agree with this stance unless the RB has the ability to be a 1000 yard receiver. In those cases I have no issue with taking a RB late in round 1.

You think Etienne is going to do that?

That has happened ONCE in the last 5 years.

The LAST pick of the 1st round and they were a loaded Super Bowl winning team with no real obvious needs.

And all their other skill guys(non QB)were acquired outside the 1st round.
You pointed out that Damian Williams was plenty good enough. Apparently KC didn’t think so and spent a precious 1st round pick on an upgrade.
who cares if it was the last pick of the 1st round? You are preaching no RB in the 1st period.
Hey you do not agree with a Championship GM on roster building, no big deal.
As for obvious needs that OL is not looking that great. Probably could have used help there.

I am not saying Etienne isn't really good, or Harris for that matter.

I am saying it is a poor use of your resources to draft a RB that high.

The league proves it.

It is foolish to draft that position high.

RB's almost literally grow on trees, and you do not need a great one.

Give me a solid RB group behind a strong OL every time.

What he said.

Well if Etienne is going to be Marshall Faulk I would make an exception and take him in the mid 1st round.

But it is very, very unlikely he is going to be a 1,000/1,000 guy since there have only been 3 in the entire History of the League, and McCaffery's incredible season helped Carolina win 5 games.

There are a few backs who will likely grade out as top 32 overall prospects for me in this class - just like a few did last year - simply because there are not going to be 32 better players than all of these RB's. However, I think it's difficult to justify drafting the position high in the 1st round. Drafting a back late in the 1st round when you have a roster like the Chiefs is a little different.

The problem with drafting RB's in the 1st round is that the better the kid ends up being for you, the more you're going to regret spending that 1st round pick on him down the road. You're just not going to be rewarded for hitting on a stud RB in the 1st round when you have to decide to fork over $60-90 million to pay him. That's precisely when your team will begin falling apart.

The wise move is always to find productive backs and starting caliber value in that 35-75 overall range to grab your RB. And to keep doing exactly that as often as needed.

Last edited:
Well if Etienne is going to be Marshall Faulk I would make an exception and take him in the mid 1st round.

But it is very, very unlikely he is going to be a 1,000/1,000 guy since there have only been 3 in the entire History of the League, and McCaffery's incredible season helped Carolina win 5 games.
There are also QBs tossing for 4k yards and losing a bunch of games. Hell, Herbert is on pace to throw for over 4k, and they've only won 2 games.

There are receivers that get close to 2k yards, but their team does nothing. (Also, there are a lot of people on finheaven that want Miami to take a WR high)

Barrett and Jones led the league with 19.5 and 17 sacks, respectively, 2 out of the last 3 seasons. They won 7 and 8 games.

I'm not saying Miami should take a RB or WR early in the first, but if they do, I'd prefer a guy that can get over 2k scrimmage yards.

2nd round pick for a back at the latest! I don't know why some of you still disregard a position that could potentially get 25 touches a game?!? This is how you end up with Myles Gaskin starting then end up with literally no one to play running back. Cant miss RB prospect this year or we keep dealing with guys like Ballage!

2nd round pick for a back at the latest! I don't know why some of you still disregard a position that could potentially get 25 touches a game?!? This is how you end up with Myles Gaskin starting then end up with literally no one to play running back. Cant miss RB prospect this year or we keep dealing with guys like Ballage!
It's also how you end up with Henry, Hunt, Jones II, Drake and Conner, none of whom were drafted in the first round and all top 10 in rushing yards this season.

(And Robinson is 11th and wasn't drafted)

Well the teams that sunk high 1st round picks into Saquon Barkley, Leonard Fournette, Zeke Elliott, Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon, etc. aren't doing too hot either. Especially after they had to decide to pay 'em or start over at the position.

Miami passed up a lot of good backs on day 2 lately that I would've taken. But that's really the point. It'll never be too late to do it. Every year there will be quality, productive RB's to be had in that range - and Miami putting it off as long as they have while focusing on other areas is going to turn out to be fine.

What did you think of Damien Williams when he was here? Trying to run behind a crappy OL.

Another "JAG"?

Then he goes to KC and plays great.

Put a roomful of "JAGS" behind a strong OL and you will run the ball well.
Damien Williams is a pretty poor example. He was always a hard runner but had poor decision making and vision. He's also seen in Kansas City for his Super Bowl, not that he did anything outside of that. Running back has big game in immensely prolific offense led by top qb in the game...top news.

Your entire premise is based on Miami not having a running game when he was here. He backed up a productive Lamar Miller on a team that ran efficiently and chose to pass too much. He backed up a massively successful Jay Ajay, and when we got rid of Ajayi the next year he offered middling production before getting hurt while Drake had a really successful run.

While many Dolphin runners were actually having success because we weren't a terrible running team, Williams was averaging well under 4 ypc his entire time here because he just wasn't good.

It's also how you end up with Henry, Hunt, Jones II, Drake and Conner, none of whom were drafted in the first round and all top 10 in rushing yards this season.

(And Robinson is 11th and wasn't drafted)
A lot of second and third round picks in that list.

McCaffery's incredible season helped Carolina win 5 games.

This is a silly thing to say. As if it means anything.

Carolina only won 5 games because they didn’t have a very good team.

DEN won 5 games in 1990 with Elway as QB.
MIA won 6 games in 1988 with Marino as QB.
GB won 6 games in 2008 and 2018 with Rodgers as QB.

We’re those guys not impactful or good? Or were their teams just not very good those seasons??

Football is the ultimate team sport. And while the vast majority recognizes the QB as the most impactful offensive position, even elite QB’s can‘t win much when talent is lacking.

The end point is, a RB like McCaffrey or LaDanian Tomlinson are still quite valuable even when the team wins aren’t there. Put the right teammates around them and they’ll win too.

Back
Top Bottom