Evaluating the backups | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Evaluating the backups

fansinceGWilson

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Quite a few backups got snaps - Davis, Young, Brendel, Anthony, Verner, Allen, Malveaux, Perry, maybe others. I couldn't watch them all and would like opinions. To me, Anthony looked fast, Allen slow. Perry and Taylor showed flashes.

Anthony is fast...just not very instinctive.

Malveaux I thought had a great preseason. I was surprised when he was cut. I like what I see from him, strong as heck. He was walking the LT back into the QB often, he just needs to work on more pass rush moves to keep those tackles off balance a bit. He should be solid setting the edge on running plays...that dude is strong.

It's just too little of sample sizes for most yet, along with a horrible team in Denver. Perry is a Gase guy and can play ST which is why he made the roster, Davis basically has solidified a spot next year and Anthony will be in the plans more than likely. The rest are incompletes still IMO.

Malveaux I thought had a great preseason. I was surprised when he was cut. I like what I see from him, strong as heck. He was walking the LT back into the QB often, he just needs to work on more pass rush moves to keep those tackles off balance a bit. He should be solid setting the edge on running plays...that dude is strong.

I forgot Hull. He hasn't impressed me yet. Seems lost

Glad you weighed in on Malveaux, the more pieces the better, wonder if he stays on the active roster when Godchaux returns, although Hayes and Smith are on IR so ..

Thought Davis played well. Young struggled a bit, but went against Miller most of the time. Both need another game or two to get a good feel of their potential.

Malveaux is very intriguing. He’s a tall kid with tremendous strength and a great bull rush. I noticed him the entire game. He was around the QB often. He got more pressure than I could ever imagine, especially for a guy just signed off the PS. I read in the Miami papers the coach’s like this kid, perhaps that’s why he got 30+ snaps during the game. Could Malveaux be Miami’s version of Dallas’ Irving? We’ll find out soon enough. I’m comparing them because both were on practice squads and signed to an active roster and immediately made contributions.

It does seem like they are grooming Anthony for a bigger role moving forward. I think If you keep him moving straight line and not ask him to do more than just run and chase, he should be ok.

It's just too little of sample sizes for most yet, along with a horrible team in Denver. Perry is a Gase guy and can play ST which is why he made the roster, Davis basically has solidified a spot next year and Anthony will be in the plans more than likely. The rest are incompletes still IMO.

Any opinions on Brendel? I saw him beaten badly once but went unmentioned most of the game - a good thing for an OLman.

Thought Davis played well. Young struggled a bit, but went against Miller most of the time. Both need another game or two to get a good feel of their potential.
Young is like 30... we know what his potential is

Malveaux was the guy I mentioned in another thread. Agreed, he must be pretty strong the way he was pushing the Tackle back into the QB on several rushes.

Back
Top Bottom