FA and Re-Signing our own FA (Can I Try) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

FA and Re-Signing our own FA (Can I Try)

Wake_N_Bake

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Life Long Fins Fan!!!!!

So I was all for spending 20 Mil on 2 big name WR (Jennings, Wallace or Bowe) But then I started to think about all the holes that would create on the team. So as I sat back in my GM chair/ Couch I came up with another idea.

So if I’m not mistaken we have 40 mil in cap.

So let’s start by cutting Patterson and/or Carp that should bring us around 45 mil if we cut one if not both.
This doesn’t include unexpected cuts or restructuring any contracts that can free up more money. Some #’s may be too high or too low( Bush, Smith?)

Offense

Jennings – 9 Mil
Finley / Cook – 4.5 mil
Hartline – 6 Mil
Bush – 4 Mil (Too high? Maybe I’m just pumped he wants to play more slot WR if he comes back next yr)
Long – 9 Mil

32.5 Mil Spent

Defense
Smith – 7
Stark – 5

44.5 Mil

Plus we have 5 picks in the first 3 rds.
WR
DB
DE/LB (pass rush)
OL

You dbl up on BPA (WR,DB, PassRush) That leaves the rest of the draft for depth or “Acorns” rounds 4 -7 (Jeff has been better drafting in these rounds)

So we go into next year with

QB – RT
RB – Bush, Miller, DT, Thigpen
WR – Jennings, Hartline, Bess, Rookie WR (1[SUP]st[/SUP] or 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] rd pick), Matthews / (Bush)
TE - Finley or Cook, Clay, Egnew
OL – Long, Richie, Pouncey, Jerry, Martian (Rookie OL, maybe depth for a yr or could push to start)

Defense
DL – Wake, Starks, Paul, Jarred/Vernon (Rookie Pass rush?)
LB – Misi, Carlos, Kevin (Rookie Pass rush?)
DB – Smith, Jones, Marshall, Rookie DB

There is my plans for 2013, Is it too Madden-ish lmao ? Can we win with this Team? I know we may need a Vet at DB or Pass Rush depending on the draft route.

What would you do different??? Remember if I priced someone too high it just leaves more wiggle room to fill another position (starter or depth) with a VET

Last edited by a moderator:
44.5 million plus $7 million for the draft= $51.5 million
plus you need to resign or replace a bunch of free agents

Matt Moore and Devlin need to be signed or replaced
can't go into next season with only 1 QB signed...Figure $2-$3 million here....$54.5 million

Jonathon Amaya
Will Barker
Patrick Brown
Chris Clemons
Tyrone Culver
Anthony Fasano
Ray Feinga
Nate Garner
Jeron Mastrud
Bryan McCann
Tony McDaniel
Marlon Moore
Lydon Murtha
Austin Spitler
R.J. Stanford all need to be signed or replaced
and at a low 500k per player you still have $7.5 million to add to the $54.5 million
now your at $62 million and I'm sure I've missed a few players

I'm just using the numbers you provided with all the free agent signings
but there is no way that is going to work in reality

Cook and Finley are going to get more than 4.5 million. They will use Zach Miller's contract as their leverage.

The number 45 mil comes after the money aside for rookies. If I'm not mistaken. Also the top 51 contracts count towards the cap. Meaning the low salary back ups won't hurt. :ponder:

Like I stated before there may be more cap depending on cuts and restructors.

What do u think Finley or cook will ask for? All the numbers I present were also up front. We know some may be back loaded.

Also what would you guys do different? Is that enough talent to make our Ofense better?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Fasano is getting about $5M. Signing Finley or Cook will be more expensive. Plus Fasano is a good 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] TE and should be resigned but at less than $5M. The big question mark is Egnew. Maybe he shows something next year. This draft is supposed to be deep at TE, maybe we hedge out bets.

If you think Martin can replace Long then you let Long walk. I would move Jerry to RT and draft or sign a more athletic RG. I’d resign Nate Garner.

The only free agent that I may lock up before he could test the market would be Hartline. I think he’s a good 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] receiver and has good chemistry with RT.

Bush, Long, Starks, Fasano, Smith & Clemons I let test the market. Bush is our only real play maker on offense but Miller is more explosive.

Hopefully people start to realize most if not all of our money is going to be spent on our own FA's. Long, Fasano, Starks, Hartline, and Smith will all be brought back. Possibly Bush as well. I think we'll bring in one of the top FA wr's but that will prob be about it.

Hopefully people start to realize most if not all of our money is going to be spent on our own FA's. Long, Fasano, Starks, Hartline, and Smith will all be brought back. Possibly Bush as well. I think we'll bring in one of the top FA wr's but that will prob be about it.

I agree thats why I see Jennings and the right Seam threat TE (Finley or Cook or ??) being the only FA added. Obvisouly there will be over turnovers at the end of the roster.

Im not so sure we're going to resign our own high priced free agents. Long, Starks and Smith will likely cost us upwards of $20M combined. Is Martin that big a drop off from Long? maybe but a year in the workout room could do wonders for him. Odrick can replace Starks. Smith is an enigma. I honestly dont know how well regarded he is in the league. Will there be a bidding war?

Finley won't get more than $4-5M, I'm pretty sure of it.

I don't see us resigning Long and Starks. I think Odrick will move to DT and we'll have to draft a tackle or find one through FA.. way to costly sticking with Long.

Nice job rookie!!! :woot:

I can't see keeping Carpenter at $3 million next season. We can draft a Kicker from the 5th round onward and pay him the rookie minimum ($400,000).

I don't see us resigning Long and Starks. I think Odrick will move to DT and we'll have to draft a tackle or find one through FA.. way to costly sticking with Long.

So should we go with VETS (30+ yrs old that may have 2-3 good yrs left) at DE and OL ? I personaly think we need a little more Veteran Leadership. Thats why im all for adding Jennings and maybe even someone like Osi or a 30+ yr old OL. (if we dont re-sign Starks and Long)

Winning team usually do a good job or mixing vets with Young Vets (under 30 with 3-5 yrs exp - Starks) and Rookies.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

Nice job rookie!!! :woot:

I can't see keeping Carpenter at $3 million next season. We can draft a Kicker from the 5th round onward and pay him the rookie minimum ($400,000).

Not after last yr. With that price tag.
Going off your draft list we agree on the areas of need, Pass Rush, WR and DB. I would dbl up on BPA with 3A but if Ball is there could we really pass him up ?????

Dolphins 2013 Draft -

1. Dion Jordan, DE, Oregon
2A. Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington
2B. Stedman Bailey, WR, WVU
3A. Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin
3B. Ricky Wagner, OT/OG, Wisconsin

Back
Top Bottom