First half evaluation | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First half evaluation

bastid

Starter
Reaction score
Im just an arm chair coach like most of you, but wanted to share some things that i saw positive and negative during the first half. Unfortunately I couldn't catch the 2nd half.

Positives:
Henne looked like a completely different QB out there. His pocket awareness was great and some of his reads were great too. Some times a lil to safe but that is OK. Took a few shots down the field, probably took more shots downfield in this game then he did all of last year. What I did like though is i saw him audible a couple times and that jumped out at me. I can't recall a time last year that he audibled anything. And if i remember correctly he wasn't allowed to audible at the line because of Henning. They were in a shotgun formation and he audibles and comes under center and completes a big play. I can see a big step in the right direction from last year.

Reggie Bush was a maniac out there. Whether he was running or catching out of the backfield, the man was playing with a chip on his shoulder. You could tell he came to play. People say that he dances too much but thats Reggie. Id rather him dance than run straight forward into a wall. He creates a mismatch with LBs. He also looked solid in the blocking aspect too.

Marshall is a monster. Simply put as that. I love the fight in him. Catches the ball and immediately tries to make the first man miss. I would like to see him run more deep routes rather than these 5-10 yd comeback routes.

Bess looks like a RB out there this year. Dude has been in the gym and you can tell it. His hands are still golden.

Gates has the speed of a Ted Ginn and he doesn't have hands made of concrete. I have a feeling this kid will surprise alot this year. Some people have questioned Hennes accuracy on those deep passes. It could be better, but thats the QBs job to throw it out there and let the WR run up under it. Reps will fix that.

Oline played DECENT tonight. The only reason why I say DECENT is because it was against the worst team in football last year. Our line got owned on the goal line until Hillard punches it in. They for the most part gave Henne ample time to throw.

Our defense was solid and looking excellent. I believe we will have a top5 D this year. Dansby and Burnett are freaks of nature. This is the first time in a while I can say we have DEPTH at CB and safety positions. Hate to say it but Will Allen needs to be the odd man out.

Haven't seen the wildcat yet in preseason that is always good news.

Sparano has perfected the fist pump. On that touchdown I about died when I saw him give the fist pump. More like a finesse fist pump :lol:

THE UGLY

Henne almost threw a pick six on that play to the left of the field. Not sure what he was thinking there. I guess trying to make a play. Thankfully the DB was a mushhead and didn't pick it off.

Daniel Thomas..... The jury is still out on him, he showed flashes of what he can do. But it REALLY bothered me when he couldn't punch it in on the goal. Hes supposed to be a bruiser type back. Kind of aggravating that we had to put our 3rd string back in just to get in the endzone. For the most part he lacked field vision and ran into the blockers at LOS, unless he it cut back on those couple plays.

Pouncey did good for the most part, but got abused on the goal. Not what you want out of your center who needs to make a push down there.

Also the run blocking is questionable. Reggie got a couple good holes opened up and got some nice gains. Thomas seemed like he hit a wall at the LOS. Hard to tell if thats blocking or just vision from the RB.

Would someone please kick Columbo in the gonads? Nuff said.

Didn't like that Gates was returning kicks, maybe Livas was nursing his injury?

The PENALTIES. Thats always a good way to shoot yourself in the foot. We had just as many as Carolina did. If I recall Murtha had 2 that I saw. If we can eliminate the negative plays like that our offense will click even better.

It also bothered me that Carolina's TEs were running wide open in the middle of the field. If it was a good QB he would have shredded the D. They played excellent but Olsen and Shockey on alot of plays were wide open. Newton just couldn't get it to them. Possible breakdown in coverage perhaps or simply good playcall from carolina.

All in all it was a great game for us on both sides of the ball. If we play like that all year, we will turn heads and give NE and the Jets a run for their money. I think we surprise alot of teams this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom