First impressions of Miami Dolphins defense straight from rookie mouths | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First impressions of Miami Dolphins defense straight from rookie mouths

Not really sure I'd call what we have on defense depth...more like bodies. I don't really like our slot CB options, I certainly don't like the safety depth behind Jones. I don't count much on rookies to make an impact year one...there's a lot to learn not just the playbook. It took Soliai 3 years to learn the DT position and he was a 4th round pick...can't see us counting on a 6th and 7th round pick to pick it up year one. Don't expect much from Tank and I'm not really sure how much Harris will play with Wake, Branch, and Hayes already in the mix...Warmsley, Fede and others may also be in the mix if we keep 5 DEs like last year. Bodies we have...depth is TBD.

We thought we had depth on the offensive line last year and that included Billy Turner and Dallas Thomas...again, not what I call depth...just bodies.

Just FYI Kilgo is NE's backup nose and has 7 career tackles and has never recorded a sack, 3 years in the league. Their starter Valentine only had 19 tackles and 1 sack last year so he's not exactly elite either, but definitely a solid NT (like our Phillips). Their backup DT's are Josh Augusta, Adam Butler, and Woodrow Hamilton, ever heard of those guys? Their ends are Flowers, Branch (more of a DT), Guy, Wise, Vereen, and now Kony Ealy. They have some nice players up front, but so do we. NE has some solid LB's but that group is not exactly elite anymore especially with Nink getting up there in age, our LB's are just as good as a group if not better. Their backups would be considered "bodies" as well, but nobody cares because they're the almighty Cheatriots. We have a more talented and deeper front 7 than NE, I think this is the year we can finally take control of the East, we shall see...

Last edited:
Not really sure I'd call what we have on defense depth...more like bodies. I don't really like our slot CB options, I certainly don't like the safety depth behind Jones. I don't count much on rookies to make an impact year one...there's a lot to learn not just the playbook. It took Soliai 3 years to learn the DT position and he was a 4th round pick...can't see us counting on a 6th and 7th round pick to pick it up year one. Don't expect much from Tank and I'm not really sure how much Harris will play with Wake, Branch, and Hayes already in the mix...Warmsley, Fede and others may also be in the mix if we keep 5 DEs like last year. Bodies we have...depth is TBD.

We thought we had depth on the offensive line last year and that included Billy Turner and Dallas Thomas...again, not what I call depth...just bodies.

There is way more depth on D. Sure I'd like another S, slot and DT but we have to let the roster turning process run its course. I'm guessing as was mentioned earlier a veteran DT will be brought in if the youngsters falter. If we learned anything from Gase he has no qualms about getting rid of players who can't produce.

I don't remember anyone being happy with the G/C depth last year. Hell, most of us are still suspect.

There is way more depth on D. Sure I'd like another S, slot and DT but we have to let the roster turning process run its course. I'm guessing as was mentioned earlier a veteran DT will be brought in if the youngsters falter. If we learned anything from Gase he has no qualms about getting rid of players who can't produce.

I don't remember anyone being happy with the G/C depth last year. Hell, most of us are still suspect.

Our depth is suspect at best and still thin. Not as bad as last year, but still thin. D-lone is probably the safest position. If a LB goes down our only true back up is Hewitt. Which is not bad but another serious injury could spell trouble. On the back end our safety depth is trash is Allen goes down early. If him and McDonald are able to come in healthy it should be ok. As for slot cb, it is one of those positions I will be watching tightly in camp. Our best best is to hope the injury bug isn't as contagious this year

Just FYI Kilgo is NE's backup nose and has 7 career tackles and has never recorded a sack, 3 years in the league. Their starter Valentine only had 19 tackles and 1 sack last year so he's not exactly elite either, but definitely a solid NT (like our Phillips). Their backup DT's are Josh Augusta, Adam Butler, and Woodrow Hamilton, ever heard of those guys? Their ends are Flowers, Branch (more of a DT), Guy, Wise, Vereen, and now Kony Ealy. They have some nice players up front, but so do we. NE has some solid LB's but that group is not exactly elite anymore especially with Nink getting up there in age, our LB's are just as good as a group if not better. Their backups would be considered "bodies" as well, but nobody cares because they're the almighty Cheatriots. We have a more talented and deeper front 7 than NE, I think this is the year we can finally take control of the East, we shall see...
The last team I would look at to see what kind of depth they have is NE. Belichick takes nobodies who've done nothing and gets them to play within the system and play well together. No one had heard of most of their O-line last year and yet they were one of the best O-lines in the league. No Tom Brady...Jimmy Garopolo goes 3-1, trade away Jamie Collins...no drop off on the defense, pretty sure they cut or traded some offensive lineman before the season and their offensive line, though unproven, performed better than the year before.

I could care less what NE's roster looks like. They've got the best coach in the league. Miami needs to worry about Miami because they don't have the best coach in the league but they have to face the best twice a year.

The last team I would look at to see what kind of depth they have is NE. Belichick takes nobodies who've done nothing and gets them to play within the system and play well together. No one had heard of most of their O-line last year and yet they were one of the best O-lines in the league. No Tom Brady...Jimmy Garopolo goes 3-1, trade away Jamie Collins...no drop off on the defense, pretty sure they cut or traded some offensive lineman before the season and their offensive line, though unproven, performed better than the year before.

I could care less what NE's roster looks like. They've got the best coach in the league. Miami needs to worry about Miami because they don't have the best coach in the league but they have to face the best twice a year.

Fair points, but there are certain things you can't really teach such as rushing the passer. NE's Oline may have played way above their heads last year, but they supposedly have a legendary Oline coach, plus with their balanced O and quick release QB's, Oline deficiencies are much easier to mask. The Pats are going to rely heavily on Ealy providing them with a pass rush, Long and Sheard may not have been great pass rushers, but they are solid all around football players NE will miss. Their Primary players up front are probably going to be Branch, Flowers, Brown, Ealy, and Valentine. Those are some solid players, especially against the run which they prioritize, but they don't offer the pass rushing ability that our front has, especially after drafting Harris. NE obviously gets the most out of their players and I think their secondary is better than ours, but I like our front 7 over theirs and think that will make a big difference this season. I truly believe we can win the division and make a deep playoff run this year, mostly due to the strength of our front 7, we will find out.

You can't teach "rushing the passer"? Huh? I guess we just wasted money hiring Andre Carter then...and Terrell Williams.

You can't teach "rushing the passer"? Huh? I guess we just wasted money hiring Andre Carter then...and Terrell Williams.

I said you can't really teach it, obviously you can work on it some and improve, but the natural ability to rush the passer that Wake, Harris, and Branch (yes I went there) posses, is rare and hard to find. Or in other words, they have unteachable traits and ability to get to the QB. Go Nats :finger

And btw Harris didn't even start playing football until late in his H.S career. If that doesn't prove my point well than I just don't know what does. Maybe he just had really good coaching that nobody else on Mizzou received lmao.

And btw Harris didn't even start playing football until late in his H.S career. If that doesn't prove my point well than I just don't know what does. Maybe he just had really good coaching that nobody else on Mizzou received lmao.

Well, Mizzou is sort of a DE factory, so I would assume they have good coaching there...Ealy, Aldon Smith, Shane Ray...

His reaction and natural quick first step, cannot be taught...it is elite level and will allow him to contribute day one even if it is in sub packages. Solid coaching will allow him to develop his all around game as well as add to that pass rush arsenal.

Well, Mizzou is sort of a DE factory, so I would assume they have good coaching there...Ealy, Aldon Smith, Shane Ray...

His reaction and natural quick first step, cannot be taught...it is elite level and will allow him to contribute day one even if it is in sub packages. Solid coaching will allow him to develop his all around game as well as add to that pass rush arsenal.

No S, but his ability to get to the QB is natural and can not be taught. Improved slightly yes, but you can't turn a p***y cat into a dog (Michael Sam). If Mizzou has such great coaching (not saying they don't) why was Harris their only draft pick? The answer...Talent, pure and simple. Some people are just better at sports than others.

Last edited:
No S, but his ability to get to the QB is natural and can not be taught. Improved slightly yes, but you can't turn a p***y cat into a dog (Michael Sam). If Mizzou has such great coaching (not saying they don't) why was Harris their only draft pick? The answer...Talent, pure and simple. Some people are just better at sports than others.

Well, he came in as a 2 star recruit and ended up as a top 25 pick...coaching is a part of that. Mizzou doesn't typically land, high-end players, they live in the 2-3 star range for recruits and do what they can, the fact that they have consistently produced high round pass rushers should speak on the programs ability to take the raw talent and develop it. Also, not sure how Micheal Sam was a *****, he wasn't athletic enough to transfer to playing in the NFL, but he was SEC defensive player of the year, not an easy feat, especially with limited natural gifts...maybe that was indeed coaching?

I said you can't really teach it, obviously you can work on it some and improve, but the natural ability to rush the passer that Wake, Harris, and Branch (yes I went there) posses, is rare and hard to find. Or in other words, they have unteachable traits and ability to get to the QB. Go Nats :finger

Obviously physical, quick twitch abilities are not taught but there are other important traits that need to be groomed. Cameron Wake was Derek Wake, the mortgage broker (and later personal trainer) before he decided to make the commitment to be great. He gets by on quickness and power but most players have to refine their technique before they become successful. He is one of the few that can be success with a speed rush alone but that's not to say he hasn't worked to refine that technique. Wake has elite physical tools. 4.5- 40, 45.5" vertical, 1.63 10 yard split, etc.

Harris will not make it with physical tools and a speed rush because he is not as physically gifted as Cam Wake. He will have to work hard to gain functional strength and master other techniques, IMO. We know he has the spin move and a bull rush but how far will that get him against Nate Solder or Cordy Glenn?

I like Harris and I think he has the right attitude. He obviously worked hard to get here and should continue to do so. He was one of the more refined pass rushers in this draft. Some say he was the most polished so he obviously worked at his technique. We all saw by his combine that he is not just getting by with elite physical tools because they were sub-par.

Obviously physical, quick twitch abilities are not taught but there are other important traits that need to be groomed. Cameron Wake was Derek Wake, the mortgage broker (and later personal trainer) before he decided to make the commitment to be great. He gets by on quickness and power but most players have to refine their technique before they become successful. He is one of the few that can be success with a speed rush alone but that's not to say he hasn't worked to refine that technique. Wake has elite physical tools. 4.5- 40, 45.5" vertical, 1.63 10 yard split, etc.

We're basically splitting hairs here, but this was my whole point originally. We have 3 guys who are excellent athletes for the DE position (disagree with you on Harris just based on his combine numbers) and NE does not. They have some good football players and some big men inside, but other than maybe Ealy, they don't have "physical, quick twitch abilites" that Wake, Harris, and Branch posses. And I would even argue Branch > Ealy, but I'm biased lol.

Fair points, but there are certain things you can't really teach such as rushing the passer. NE's Oline may have played way above their heads last year, but they supposedly have a legendary Oline coach, plus with their balanced O and quick release QB's, Oline deficiencies are much easier to mask. The Pats are going to rely heavily on Ealy providing them with a pass rush, Long and Sheard may not have been great pass rushers, but they are solid all around football players NE will miss. Their Primary players up front are probably going to be Branch, Flowers, Brown, Ealy, and Valentine. Those are some solid players, especially against the run which they prioritize, but they don't offer the pass rushing ability that our front has, especially after drafting Harris. NE obviously gets the most out of their players and I think their secondary is better than ours, but I like our front 7 over theirs and think that will make a big difference this season. I truly believe we can win the division and make a deep playoff run this year, mostly due to the strength of our front 7, we will find out.

Doesn't really matter all that much how well you rush the passer when you give up 4.8 ypc on the ground. Defense can't really pin their ears back and get after the QB if you never have the offense in 3rd and long situations.

Doesn't really matter all that much how well you rush the passer when you give up 4.8 ypc on the ground. Defense can't really pin their ears back and get after the QB if you never have the offense in 3rd and long situations.

I'm expecting Hayes, Godchaux, Timmons and McMillan to assist with that. Not to mention Jones is back, these 5 are a significant upgrades to the roster from the end of last year. Godchaux may be a ? as is McMillan, but our DT depth was really bad last year when Mitchell went down. When Jones got hurt, we simply didn't have the horses to stop the run, we do now.

Back
Top Bottom