"Flip This House" Waiver Wire Style? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Flip This House" Waiver Wire Style?

Vaark

The Intra-Dimensional Felinians R Coming 2 Save Us
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Getting close to this impending "draft" as "first option", I was wondering whether it was possible to collect additional draft picks or players by essentially acting as a clearinghouse/trading partner for teams wanting or needing waived players as replacements or positional depth for sidelined guys like Merriman, Chad Johnson or Osi Umenyiora. I'd like to think that so long as we cleared roster space in anticipation, there'd be no reason we couldn't continue to quickly flip waiver claims to accumulate more picks or negotiate for players we covet by capitalizing on other teams' suddenly pressing needs.

Does anyone know whether something like this is feasible or in conflict with league waiver wire regulations?

There isn't a rule saying you aren't allowed to do that, as far as I know. The problem is going to be that we would have to waive people that we actually want to keep to make room for the potential trade bait. We run the risk of having someone pick them up off the waiver wire before we have a chance to move the trade bait, and re-sign them. It might be worth the risk if a somewhat known player gets waived and we know someone will want him. Even then, I'm not sure I'd risk it......

Getting close to this impending "draft" as "first option", I was wondering whether it was possible to collect additional draft picks or players by essentially acting as a clearinghouse/trading partner for teams wanting or needing waived players as replacements or positional depth for sidelined guys like Merriman, Chad Johnson or Osi Umenyiora. I'd like to think that so long as we cleared roster space in anticipation, there'd be no reason we couldn't continue to quickly flip waiver claims to accumulate more picks or negotiate for players we covet by capitalizing on other teams' suddenly pressing needs.

Does anyone know whether something like this is feasible or in conflict with league waiver wire regulations?

Very good question.

Can we trade our #1 position to another team as in the draft?

it doesn't violate any rules.

but if these players had trade value, why wouldn't the original team just trade them and get the pick rather than waive them?

That's a point well-taken and common sense (that's probably why it escaped me). However, I can see some extenuating circumstances where conference rivals may not want a competitor to get a specific player and realizes that, like a NE, they're so far down on the waiver wire that the quality player they had to reluctantly cut would never drop that far. And then of course there're GMs like Rick Spielman who might not have done their due diligence before putting the player up for grabs.:wink:

2gue5c1-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom