Four Days vs Four Years!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Four Days vs Four Years!!!

BLITZKRIEG

~LACUNA LEGIONS~
Reaction score
That should just about answer all of the questions regarding Feeley's "so-called" struggles, and Fielder's "so-called" emergence as the current starting QB....

PHINZ RULE!!! :D

I seriously hope nobody is judging Feeley by the fact that he struggled a bit in his first minicamp with the Dolphins. Its a new playbook guys. Fiedler has had like 3 years in this playbook and with these players. The better QB is Feeley. He'll grow into it, and you'll see it when they actually play together in game conditions.

No smack but why is it that guys expect Feely to do well when a probowler like Griese couldn't do any better than Fiedler ? Just like Fiedler had more time w/ this team than Griese, the same goes with AJ. You expect a guy (AJ) who's never been a no. 1 qb to do better than Griese and take the job away from Fiedler? What has he done in this league to prove that other than Spielman's assesment?

Justasportsfan said:
No smack but why is it that guys expect Feely to do well when a probowler like Griese couldn't do any better than Fiedler ? Just like Fiedler had more time w/ this team than Griese, the same goes with Fiedler. You expect a guy (AJ) who's never been a no. 1 qb to do better than Griese and take the job away from Fiedler?

Well, I think if we would have given BG more time to get comfortable, and a better OL in front of him when he did start, he would have smoked Fielder...

I expect Feeley to emerge during TC, and take over once the Pre-season gets underway. Fielder is a good QB, and a very strong competitor. Anyone who expect Fiedler to just give up, and let Feeley take over the starting position is underestimating Fielder, and his determination....

In the end, the competition will make both QB's better....

PHINZ RULE!!! :fire:

The problem I see with the whole Fiedler vs. Feeley saga is that Feeley wasn't named the starter for the get go. I know they didn't name him the starter because that would make Fiedler want to leave and they wanted him there to be a viable backup in case Feeley went down but by not naming Feeley the starting QB, it has started a "QB competition" and if Fiedler outperforms Feeley in the PS and is not awarded the starting job he's going to want to leave anyway. By the same token if Fiedler outperforms him in PS, that would justify Wanny's decision to keep Fiedler as the starter.

Justasportsfan said:
No smack but why is it that guys expect Feely to do well when a probowler like Griese couldn't do any better than Fiedler ? Just like Fiedler had more time w/ this team than Griese, the same goes with AJ. You expect a guy (AJ) who's never been a no. 1 qb to do better than Griese and take the job away from Fiedler? What has he done in this league to prove that other than Spielman's assesment?

Ita a very vadlid point. Perhaps it is because AJ has never been a number one or more importantly a pro bowler that will allow him to be sucessful. The hunger to suceed and fear of failure for these guys make them the new typical NFL qb. They just dont make as many mistakes becuase they have always been in fear of loosing their jobs. No mistakes from the qb on a strong team is how teams win SBs. Of course he could just blow too. :rolleyes: Hope the former not the later.
As for BG (and I dont want to start another debate) its a good comparison. BG only had 1/2 a summer to review the play book, got injured and had little experience. Yet many were willing to shout from the rooftops how terrible he was. Casting off the son of one of our own. :shakeno: Personally I would love it if we let Jay go and had BG and AJ fight for #1. The wrong guy left ImHO.

Brian Griese was behind our crappy O-Line last year whereas this year we've made improvements. Plus the fact that David Boston upgrades our WR core should be enough reason for us to feel AJ Feeley will fare better then any of the last few QBs we've had. Time will tell

I believe competition will bring out the best in Feeley. Its important for locker room chemistry that Feeley work his way up and not just be handed the job. Its like Mike Holmgren says when he gets his future QB, he treats him real crappy and dresses him down in front of the rest of the team just to show them all that he's not special, he's just one of them...then as the QB starts to succeed and do well, he stops doing that and starts treating him as the leader of the team...because he is. Feeley has to work his way up from the bottom.

And the same goes for Carey I think. Carey might not be ready to play RT right out of the box but at least if he's the backup RT he's getting those practice reps at the position, instead of delaying everything by placing him at RG. With St Clair there seems to be a real lunch pail attitude along the OL in terms of trying to gel together as a unit. These are all guys about the same spots in their careers, young or in their prime, and they are all trying to take that next step. James is the oldest and he's fast becoming a leader. In order for Carey to break into that group, I think he needs to earn it. Push St Clair into the interior of the OL, that way when McIntosh gets healthy we have a pretty decent OL situation shaping up with Carey and Smith as our tackle tandem, McIntosh swing tackle, St Clair at RG, McKinney at Center, and the leader James at LG.

Justa, yes I expect AJ to be the starting QB. The staff knows what JF can do and can't do. AJ should get more reps and more opportunities to take the job than JF. He was signed to be our QB this year. Sure, there is going to be "competition" for the position, like there is at every postion. But I think the job is AJ's to lose, not JF's by default. If JF is the starting QB this Sept (barring an unforeseen injury), then management has done nothing this offseason to change our course, except revamp the OL and add a receiver. We needed more than just that. I am not saying that AJ should be given the job if he is not capable or not picking up the offense, but he will have to show pretty poor to not get the job. Also, remember that a few years ago, the new guy (JF) looked terrible during all the camps and was injured during the bulk of summer camp and then was "handed" the job when he returned from his injury. It's not just about the money or draft picks that we gave up for him, it is about the fact that we need an upgrade in the position. They can always start AJ and "fall back" on JF if he doesn't get the job done during the season, and DW will have an "excuse" that may even save his job....or at least he'll hope it does.

SmokeyPhinz said:
Brian Griese was behind our crappy O-Line last year whereas this year we've made improvements. Plus the fact that David Boston upgrades our WR core should be enough reason for us to feel AJ Feeley will fare better then any of the last few QBs we've had. Time will tell
with those same improvements don't you think it should make Fiedler better and still take the no. 1 job?

Justasportsfan said:

Greise didn't join the Phins until June which made his aquisition initially confined to backup status...And then he had that unfortunate injury on the Marlins infield dirt. He never had the time to catch up. He never clicked with Chambers as the goto receiver.

Feeley has the full off season and all the QB camps ahead to compete for the starting position. The question should not be "what has he done?" (the war cry of the pessimist) ...it should be what will he do to stake a claim to the starting job? And that remains to be seen. The competition has begun. May the best man win.

LarryFinFan said:
Justa, yes I expect AJ to be the starting QB. The staff knows what JF can do and can't do. AJ should get more reps and more opportunities to take the job than JF. He was signed to be our QB this year. Sure, there is going to be "competition" for the position, like there is at every postion. But I think the job is AJ's to lose, not JF's by default.
Which staff ? Wanny or Spielman? You know JF is Wanny's boy. Didn't Wanny openly state (in so many words)the position is up for grabs and not Feely's job to lose?

Justasportsfan said:
Which staff ? Wanny or Spielman? You know JF is Wanny's boy. Didn't Wanny openly state (in so many words)the position is up for grabs and not Feely's job to lose?

Which is exactly what a coach should say.

Justasportsfan said:
I still think Fiedler will beat out Feely.

Well, that wouldn't be the end of the world. After all, Fiedler is 6-0 as a starter vs. Buffalo. :D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Back
Top Bottom